The Student Room Group

Hair's gone orange - HELP!

I have medium brown hair and in the light you can see some red tones in it. I foolishly decided to bleach it at home, using 'B Blonde' for dark hair. It went white at the roots and orange everywhere else. And I mean BRIGHT ORANGE.

I then dyed over it using a light blonde dye. This toned down the orange and white shades quite a lot, but it still looked ginger in some patches.

Then today I dyed it again with a dark blonde colour. It's toned the colour down quite a lot, but it's got an overall orange look to it.

Is there any way I can tone down this orange? I have no idea what to do!!
Reply 1
you need to get a hair toner that's purple
Reply 2
Original post by Safx
you need to get a hair toner that's purple

Thank-you, do you know where I can get this?
Reply 3
The exact same thing happened to me with that bleach... except i was going from red hair! Anyway, I tried to subtly walk into superdrug to solve the issue and the lady behind the counter noticed and laughed (not in a rude way, but I did look quite hilarious). She used to be a hairdresser so she found a brown dye by nice n easy (she recommended their type of hair dye for this) and when i put it on it came out as a nice dark blonde colour. I cant remember the exact shade though, just you have to be careful of not using anything with brassy tones etc and like the above user said, get a purple toned shampoo and stuff :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by RoisinBlah

Ive seen them in superdrug in purple bottles, I assume you can get them from boots and supermarkets too though and hair dressers x
Reply 5
Original post by RoisinBlah

Most Boots and Superdrug stores sell it. I use Lee Stafford Beach Blondes which is a bright purple shampoo which is designed to remove all the brassy tones in your hair.
Use too much of it though and your hair WILL go white with a purple tinge to it!

You can also use a silver based toning shampoo: I think the one in Superdrug is called ' a touch of silver'.

Your best bet would be to go to a hairdressers to get advice. They would probably advice you to dye your hair with an ash blonde.
Reply 6
I used dye with ash in, it's just not enough for my hair! I will definitely look for a purple toned shampoo though, thank-you!
Reply 7
The rule for orange hair disasters is dye it cool brown (or ash brown - essentially nothing mahogany or with red tones in it.) The result will be the ash will cancel out the brassy orangeness. You'll come away with a light brown or dark blonde.

Also I doubt you will have much success with purple-tinted shampoo. Lavender shampoos are used by blondes to cancel out the brassiness (same way the ash cancels out the orange) however it only works on high yellow tones, not bright orange as you say you have. Lavender shampoo is a subtle fix, it's not going to get rid of a bright orange colour.
(edited 11 years ago)
Very useful, I am dyed brown hair with under hair hightlights. Going reddish now after several washes. Its a semi perm colour wash at Christmas. Bored of this colour, want to go blonde for the summer. Ash blonde with a scatter of natural looking caramel and blonde highlights ideally.
Reply 9
Hi i need help please!! I dyed my hair with live xxl max blonde 00B straight on to dark/medium brown hair. Roots have gone blonde, ends have gone blonde but middle is orange :'( its horrid!! I have long thick hair so please bare this in mind. Thanks xx
Hi in the past 2days I have put 4lots of the live xxl 00B max blonde stuff on and my went the same 😑 I feel your pain!! It is a nice whitey blonde colour at the top then on the end bits it is ginger and I also have long think hair !! All my friends have advised me to STOP dying my hair but I don't really listen !! Lol ! I am about to go down to my local boots and get some purple or silver shampoo / toner 👌 hope it will work !! X
Reply 11
Pearl blonde can solve orange red or yellow tinge. Or blonde toner with the purple conditioner u get in in up to 8 tones by Garner.
Hiya iv got my hair dipdied brown and blond on ends but my brown gone quite ginger naw its faiding will i just need to use a brown on the ginger bits i was red befor or is there enything else i can use thanks x
I died mine last night two ice blonde live dyes and is white around my scalp and on top were my fringe is but orange everywhere else u was going from dark brown but I still have dark patches under my hair you can definitely tell. Please help what do I do next? x
I have been I'm this situation use light blond then leave it for 5 day then put blond on it that is what I did and now I am bright blond
Original post by Smanther
I have been I'm this situation use light blond then leave it for 5 day then put blond on it that is what I did and now I am bright blond

8 year old thread.

Quick Reply