The Student Room Group

How to motivate myself to study?

I want to study but im finding it difficult to motivate myself to do so. I know if i start revising a week before my exams i wont get my grades and therefore want to start now. Anyone here got any tips on self motivation? many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have the same problem. How about making a big list of reasons to study? (e.g. get into good university, be proud of results when people ask, prove certain teachers wrong maybe, beat any rivals you have...anything really) Pin it up on your wall (or maybe by your computer as that's one of the best distractions, I've discovered :biggrin: ) and read it when you're feeling unmotivated.
Make 'to-do' lists with boxes to check off when you've done a certain topic, for example.
Promise yourself a reward when you've done a certain amount.
Since you already know that early preparation is key to good grades, then that should be part of your motivation to study. I think what helps is thinking of the positive results that come from studying hard. For example, you should tell yourself that if you study hard now you have far less chance of panicking and worrying yourself to death later, when it's closer to exam time. Thus because you prepared in advance things won't seem so daunting, and you can brush up on parts of your subjects that you're weaker in as opposed to frantically trying to cram everything in haphazardly.

If you have any sort of future goal/ambition you could use that too as something to motivate yourself. Tell yourself that working hard and hopefully getting good grades will get you closer to whatever your goal is.

Personally it's starting working that I find hard, once you are into revising it's ok, but it's always difficult getting yourself to take the first step. I always tell myself that once I start, the amount of revision I have grows less and less, and the sooner I start the sooner I can finish.

I hope this helped, and good luck for your revision! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Everytime you slack off, put a fork in the socket.

Either you work-rate will increase massively, or you'll be dead. Either way, you won't have to worry about being lazy.
I used to suffer a bit from procrastination with regards to my own work -- but I think that changed when I entered sixth form college. I agree with many of the other comments made, that starting early and organising yourself are definitely key to doing well. :p:
Not since my weekly French spelling tests (which i revised for rigourously (sic?)) in my pre GCSE years (that is, secondary yrs 7-9), have i truly applied myself when it comes to revision. I fared rather well at GCSE, on little revision, i did so very little at a-level and did quite a bit worse, grades-wise. I worked hard in my first year at university, had many essay deadlines in politics and my own subject, and fared extremely well. Then, due to going 'single' subject, i had very few hours each week in my subject, had very little work to hand in, not only non-assessment work, but assessed work itself. Generally, when i have deadlines rapidly approaching, i tend to pull my finger out, and work fairly hard. Pressure is a good, healthy thing, and when there is none, or none that is approaching in the not-so-distant future, this is the greatest danger when it comes to revising and getting good grades, et cetera...

i guess you could self deceive yourself, set 'fake' deadlines, i.e. that piece of work, although in, in two weeks time, is in this time NEXT WEEK....:rolleyes:

OK that's crap :biggrin:
Reply 6
dude, coast it then cram, coast it then cram, coast it and cram.
How do i motivate myself to study?

Remembering how awful I felt when I saw the disappointment on family members faces when I pulled out several particularly substandard AS grades. Imagining how I'll feel if I do that again, and how I'll ruin my chances of succeeding in life if I don't.

Usual sort of thing.
Reply 8
Pressure is a good, healthy thing...

That is so true. I find the busier I am the more work I get done! People think I'm crazy having dance classes atleast four nights a week, on top of shows and competitions and extra rehersals ect. But the thing is, I can get a load of more work done in a hectic scedule than if I had a whole day to do my work - I'd sit around and do nothing and get a lot less done. Take last week for example, I was suddenly reminded I had coursework due in the next day and I typed six pages in one night.

Back to the question, I think you just need to ask yourself why you want these grades and what they will mean to you. I'm a fairly self-motivated person and the thing, for me, that made me start working at school was work experience. It dawned on me that you only get one shot at these grades and then you live with them for the rest of your life, and I hated the placement I had so much I wanted to work hard to ensure I did well so that I could have more options with what I wanted to do (ie. not end up hating my job like them).
Your main motivator should be where you want to go in life. Do you want to get into a good uni and get a good job? Those things don't just happen- you have to want them enough to work hard for them. Do you want to feel really happy and proud of yourself on results day when you see how all your hard work has paid off, and do you want your friends, family and teachers to be proud of you as well? Results day is fantastic when you do well, but extremely depressing when you don't! Would you rather sacrifice the social life a bit now, work hard and get grades that will set you up for life, or would you rather waste this opportunity, end up in a dead end job and regret it for the rest of your life? Those are the sorts of questions you should be asking yourself. Also, make sure you have a good balance between studying and relaxing. Make a list of everything you want to do and tick each task off as you complete it so you can see what progress you're making. Come up with little rewards for yourself after each task. Starting is always the hardest part, but after that it should get easier.
I usually tell myself "Well if you don't get what you want then you're stuffed and you'll hate yourself, and you only get one chance at this."
Oh and near constant self-beration. That too.
Reply 12

The constant threat of tests at school should keep you motivated - especially the teachers who spring surprise tests on you. However, that's probably something out of your control - determining whenever you have tests in class or not, and I doubt you'd be very popular if you as your teachers to set more tests for you (but it damn well helps).
Reply 13
Just think, what the **** else would I be doing with my time? All I’ve got to do everyday is get up, go to school, listen in lessons, then come back home. I'm not putting anyone’s life at risk, having to make hard decisions, or even having to work long hours at high steaks. ****, getting EMA means I’m even paid to do this. Since I’m living such an easy life, I may as well make it even easier by keeping fairly on top of the work so this nice easy life doesn’t become stressed. Plus, when I’m sitting there watching Futurama/Pron I sometimes think learning about something that is actually quite interesting is probably a better way to spend my life then watching cartoons. (Watching Pron is time well spent though)

That mentality is immediately overwritten by the inbuilt distrust of work that looks remotely interesting, as the comprehensive school code incrusted on my brain immediately dictates that all school work is bad, and if I like it I’m a geek.

Sometimes I also think '20% of kids get an A in this subject’ that means it’s ****ing easy. If I don’t get an A I will not only be doing myself a disservice by messing up something that was easy, but will forever be in the swamp of mediocrity. Mediocre people always say 10 years after getting their grades 'I got a B' then follow it up immediately with 'but I was 2 marks off an A'. It doesn’t matter how close you were, you never made it. And on every academic form you will always have to write B. To avoid being a 'but I was one mark off...' person, just apply yourself for 2 hours and do something well, and then go back to relaxing.

I’m not saying getting a B is immediately dump, I’m saying if you’re capable of getting an A but get a B through laziness; it’s just a disservice to yourself
Same applies if your only capable of a C. If that’s your ceiling and you reach it then no-body can question you, but if you got a D through laziness the your just a ****ing moron.

This type of crap might not bother you if it’s a GCSE, but say you get a 2.2 instead of a 2.i at degree level, simply through laziness. This happened to my brother’s mate. He can’t sleep at night become it niggles at him. He’s got this cloud in the back of his head constantly saying you really messed up, and it will be with him for the rest of his life. He had a chance to make his whole life nice by getting a 2.i, but got a 2.2 so can hardly get a job, all through laziness.

I say all this, but it’s easy to pontificate ideals of efficiency whilst procrastinating on TSR. I know I’m going to leave everything till 3 weeks before the exam and just CRAM. I’ve made some serious efforts to stop this in the past, but it’s just too easy to put things off. It’s the only time when I just defy logic and consciously do things even though I know they’re harming me.
Reply 14
I've got exactly this problem. I've realised why: I have an aversion to hard work. I positively love the idea of sitting long hours getting caught up in studying and intellectual activity, but I really never get around to doing it. I like the idea of being a hard worker, but cannot become one. I'm simply too lazy and procrastinate too much to start work. Sometimes, I think being able to get away with not working is a bit of a curse - nobody at school would guess I've got such a problem, the teachers least of all. I'm working at solving it though... now that I know what causes it!

- just my 2p,

- me.
Reply 15
About 3 months ago I found my motivation, now all I do is work.

I'm on the extreme side and have literally stopped being socially active (luckily most of my friends left the country already), but besides the point.

What you need to do is find something that you want. Something you desire? Or you need to really focus on what you want to study.

For example, there are only two things I care about now. Getting into a good university for my psychology degree and being able to buy myself a motorbike. I figure that if I do well on my exams, getting a motorbike will bbe easier as I am more likely to be able to get a good job. :smile: It's all linked!

And it's only a few more months of work before it's all over!
^ Whoa, well done! I was sort of like that last week. On Sunday night and Monday morning I worked so much, but after that...hardly stretched a finger. Today I did about 4 pages all day, and I have got a LOT of work to do to finish my two assignments to the best of my ability and my deadline is the 18th :frown:. I'm really behind and need to start work work work, but can't!!!
Reply 17
AntiLearner
^ Whoa, well done! I was sort of like that last week. On Sunday night and Monday morning I worked so much, but after that...hardly stretched a finger. Today I did about 4 pages all day, and I have got a LOT of work to do to finish my two assignments to the best of my ability and my deadline is the 18th :frown:. I'm really behind and need to start work work work, but can't!!!

One trick I found is music. There are certain songs and tunes that suddenly make me feel like I should work. You should perhaps find songs that can do that. I listen to a lot of trance so it's different but I am sure you can find some songs that motivate you.

Once you get into the work, the music will fade and you will lose track of time until you are done. :smile:

There is also some good rock that creates deep thought and work motivation. Opeth have some good acoustic tunes.
Reply 18
toothpastecrazy
I get a bit obsessive about this, but I find making lists of things you want to do and things you have to do (well ... have to do if you wanna do OK) really helpful (especially if you do it the day [or even week!] before).

This kinda thing:

9-11 Psych notes
11-11:30 Watch mindless TV
11-30-12 Psych notes
12-1 Lunch
1-4 Go shopping
4-5:30 Politics past paper

You get the idea.

That works if you are not in the IB. IB is more like 7:30-12: IB Work
12-1: Lunch
1-11:30: IB Work and CAS.

:smile:
Deus
One trick I found is music. There are certain songs and tunes that suddenly make me feel like I should work. You should perhaps find songs that can do that. I listen to a lot of trance so it's different but I am sure you can find some songs that motivate you.

Once you get into the work, the music will fade and you will lose track of time until you are done. :smile:

There is also some good rock that creates deep thought and work motivation. Opeth have some good acoustic tunes.

Works for me to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending