The Student Room Group

How do I show on ucas that a uni is my first choice?

Ok so I'm filling my 'choices' section on ucas. So far I've placed 3 uni's, in random order, and I'm wondering how do I show that a certain uni is my first choice? :confused:
As every additional choice bumps the other choices down, so the most recent one is on the top.. yet it is not actually my first choice! Is there any way of organising them such as drag and drop, or numbering? :s-smilie:
Or must I delete them and start off by doing my final choice first, and my first choice last so that it is on the top?

It's just that I went to an open day, and to guarantee accomodation next year, their uni has to be your first choice.. just I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that! :confused:
Reply 1
you dont make them your first choice until you have sent it off and received all offers. then you make the choice on track :smile:
Reply 2
When you apply you don't choose any preference, none of the universities know which other ones you have applied too. You only choose a first and second choice when you have offers and choose which ones to accept.
Isn't your first choice your "firm" as some unis might get crossed off your list if they reject you or you decline their offer?
For now it's all just random. It's only once they've made their offers and you confirm which uni you want to go to that it becomes your 'first choice'.
On my form the unis went in eventually in alphabetical order. I think they are referring to when you "firm" or "insurence" your offers then you choose! you dont put a preference that i am aware of in your application at your stage.
Reply 6
you cannot order your preferences on UCAS when you initially apply. After you have received your offers, you choose a Firm choice (1st) and an Insurance choice (2nd). The uni you visited was refering to you choosing it as a Firm choice should you get an offer.
You don't put down first choices until you've received offers! UCAS arranges the list into alphabetical order and no university knows what your other choices are. By first choice they meant firm choice, as you put down a firm and insurance choice from the offers you receive.
Reply 8
You don't apply to any uni as your first choice, they don't know if they're your first choice or not. You only choose your first choice (your firm) after (and if) they give you an offer.You also pick another uni as a back up which is called your insurance so what the uni means is that if they give you an offer, you need to confirm it as your firm, not your insurance.
Reply 9
You don't place them in any order yet.

It's not until your have received all offers/rejections that you are able to chose your "firm" (the uni you want to go to, should you meet the offer) and insurance (the back up).

What the uni meant about accomodation is that, should you chose it as your firm, then you'll be guarenteed accomodation. You need your offers in first.
Ahhh okay. Cheers everyone, made it alot clearer for me! Just get confused over the smallest of things, ha!
love_is_noise
Ok so I'm filling my 'choices' section on ucas. So far I've placed 3 uni's, in random order, and I'm wondering how do I show that a certain uni is my first choice? :confused:
As every additional choice bumps the other choices down, so the most recent one is on the top.. yet it is not actually my first choice! Is there any way of organising them such as drag and drop, or numbering? :s-smilie:
Or must I delete them and start off by doing my final choice first, and my first choice last so that it is on the top?

It's just that I went to an open day, and to guarantee accomodation next year, their uni has to be your first choice.. just I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that! :confused:

You dont choose yet. Its alphabetical anyway.