The Student Room Group

How does University Work?

Hey guys, new here.

Basically, I've discovered I seem to be underinformed as to how university works. I'm in the 6th Form right now, and intend to study Law (or Jurisprudence or whatever), but don't really get how university is structured, like how you study, or what all these different degrees and the like are.

Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

=PJTR=
Reply 1
If you do Law and plan to go on and be a solicitor or barrister or just want a qualifying Law degree then make sure the course is LLB Law.
Reply 2
Well, I intend to study Law and practice as a barrister (probably), although I'm not sure what type of Law I want to do just yet, which is why it was suggested to me that I do Law.

Also, I'm going to be applying to places like Oxford or Cambridge and the like, and I understand they don't do LLB Law?
So you want someone to tell you everything there is to know about university?
Umm.
You choose a subject, attend a few lectures/seminars a week, get drunk, then get a degree.
Reply 4
Gemma :)!
So you want someone to tell you everything there is to know about university?
Umm.
You choose a subject, attend a few lectures/seminars a week, get drunk, then get a degree.

dang! they make me hand in stuff and sit exams on top of all that.
Reply 6
Law's hard. Don't do it.
Reply 7
Joinedup
dang! they make me hand in stuff and sit exams on top of all that.

Not to mention read books/articles/other stuff and do lots of self study.
Reply 8
You have lectures, where lecturers talk at you. You then have seminars, where lecturers talk to you. You might have workshops, where the lecturers do nothing and you do something. You might have practicals where the lecturers show you how to do stuff.

Then you have assignments and essays.

You'll probably do an undergrad and come out with a BSc, a BA, or if you're doing law, an LLB. If you want to carry on you can do a masters which will make you a MSc, or MA, or LLM.

Latest

Trending

Trending