The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Didn't see a thread for this yet so thought I'd start one...

So who's applying????? I'm 99% sure I am, loved it at the open day :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I'm about 90% sure on applying to UCL :biggrin: depending on how well i think i'll do on the BMAT...
Woooo! Fell in love with UCL at the open day too so definitely applying there! Just got to get this damned BMAT out the way now...
Nice. I'm a gap year applicant but not sure if UCL would accept my application because I had to do module resits although I completed my A levels in two years with AAAC.
Reply 4
What would you say are the advantages/disadvantages of UCL?
Reply 5
Hey, I'm hoping to apply to UCL!
I have 11A* 1A at GCSE
5 High A's at AS - bio, chem, phy, psych, and maths
My UKCAT average was okayish at about 643, but the BMAT is yet untaken!
Personal statement and references are also excellent...
Reply 6
Original post by nikhil.shah
Yeah the BMAT basically makes or breaks the application :eek:

Does anyone know if UCL particularly like AS UMS???

I've heard they do, they are now one of the few unis which actually look at the AS grades that have been achieved, don't know too much about the UMS story though.

Anyway, I shall be applying :hi:
Reply 7
I'll be applying. Just worried about the BMAT now. Could well be a wasted choice if I fail.
Do they look at AS and UMS? Or do you have to specifically dislose them?
Reply 8
Thanks :smile: Would you say that if I disclose UMS for some subjects, I should disclose them for all? It's just coz most of them are really high but I got a B in one Physics module. I still have an A overall so they wouldn't find out unless I disclose
Reply 9
Original post by 126Ve960
Hey guys I'm applying too :smile: So scared about the BMAT though, I wish they used the UKCAT instead!

Hell naw. If they used UKCAT it would be a billion times more competitive (in my opinion). Plus my 675 score isn't that great :/
Reply 10
How much preference do you think they give to "those with contrasting subjects"?
Do you all have contrasting subjects?
Original post by ratrabbit
How much preference do you think they give to "those with contrasting subjects"?

I don't but I'm hopefully going to apply anyway. I doubt the weighting could be too extreme especially with them expecting strong AS performances in Chemistry and Biology (I'd imagine this would be more important to them) and BMAT performance. However, when I asked they said doing an Extended Project could be viewed similarly to a contrasting subject, so the fact that I have that might help. Best to hear it from the horses mouth though.
Reply 12
Do you think that you would recieve a straight rejection before your BMAT results came out from UCL with you applied with AABB (with the Bs being in Chem/Bio)?
Original post by ratrabbit

I'm doing English Literature? And might be doing French AS if that counts :smile:
Though i'm not sure how much preference would be given, i'd suppose it might work as a tie-breaker between applicants? :s-smilie:
Original post by raveen789
Do you think that you would recieve a straight rejection before your BMAT results came out from UCL with you applied with AABB (with the Bs being in Chem/Bio)?

I don't know about straight rejections but I do know that B grades in those subjects will be particularly unhelpful, with UCL looking at your AS performance in these two subjects.
Reply 15
Original post by Davidragon
I don't know about straight rejections but I do know that B grades in those subjects will be particularly unhelpful, with UCL looking at your AS performance in these two subjects.

Yeah I know :/ I am thinking about risking it and if I get rejected it might be a blow but never mind, but id want them to read my personal statement and see my bMAT score before they reject me right off. If I receive 4 rejections this year or not apply and apply during a gap year with sufficient grades in hand I would apply to UCL again but then again they may hold a grudge since they know that I had to resit a couple of AS modules. Thanks for the help :biggrin:
Reply 16
Hi, i REALLY want to go UCL for medicine
got 10A*s at GCSE
aaaab at AS (including Bio, chem, Spanish, General studies and maths)
the B was in maths, does this seriously hinder my chances?
because i know they look at UMS, but i'm dropping maths
if you know of anyone in a similar sitch, but they got in that would be reassuing
:smile:
Hey guys! I was in the UCL 2011 entry application cycle (A100 undergrad) - if you have any questions about applying, personal statements (so long as you don't send me them or ask me to proof read), interviews, bmat etc. - feel free to ask me either via pm or by quoting me :smile:

hope you all apply and I wish you all the very best of luck. really do use this thread to collaborate together and discuss everything, you'll all pull each other through. most of us last year did the same :smile:
Original post by purplefrog
Hey guys! I was in the UCL 2011 entry application cycle (A100 undergrad) - if you have any questions about applying, personal statements (so long as you don't send me them or ask me to proof read), interviews, bmat etc. - feel free to ask me either via pm or by quoting me :smile:

hope you all apply and I wish you all the very best of luck. really do use this thread to collaborate together and discuss everything, you'll all pull each other through. most of us last year did the same :smile:

hey, pretty complicated situation here...
underpeformed largely at as due to personal problems...therefore am going to take a gap year and apply then with my a level grades in hand...do ucl discriminate between pre and post a level applicanys?
advice appreciated please :smile:
thanks-feel free to pm me :smile:
Original post by flowerpower1410
hey, pretty complicated situation here...
underpeformed largely at as due to personal problems...therefore am going to take a gap year and apply then with my a level grades in hand...do ucl discriminate between pre and post a level applicanys?
advice appreciated please :smile:
thanks-feel free to pm me :smile:

Sorry to hear about your results and situation. UCL do not discriminate at all against candidates in that nature. Just make sure you get your AAA at A2 (with As in Bio & Chem) within this two year sitting and you shall be fine. And make sure you have a productive gap year doing SOMETHING (they don't care what so long as its not spent on your bum... so more work exp/volunteering never goes amiss, lots of people take jobs or just do a bit of travelling inbetween too).

Quick Reply