The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Urgh, the longer I wait the more I'm not happy with the Uni choices I made. I've basically made it so my entire application is reliant on Warwick, which wasn't a smart move. Sigh.

Warwick
Queen Mary - Offer
Newcastle - Offer
Lancaster - Offer
Reading

I think I should have chosen another 'prestigious/top 10' like LSE or Nottingham instead of perhaps Queen Mary or Lancaster. Hopefully I can get an Warwick offer with 4A*5As at GCSE, AAAb AS and A*A*A A2 predictions.

If I get rejected by Warwick it leaves me stewing over a QMUL vs Newcastle. QMUL seems to have a really respected Law dept. which seems to be at least top 10 by the standards of both research and league tables (which I know aren't a real indication) but QMUL on the whole doesn't seem to be as rated as Newcastle. Then I need to consider that Newcastle's law school is still good and I liked how small it was in comparison to the size of the University (120 people) and if a law degree from Newcastle will be viewed better than a QMUL law degree outside of a legal career should I choose to not do law. Then finally, is the A*AA QMUL ask for really worth it over Newcastle's AAA? I would **** bricks firming the former.

Not a nice predicament I'm in :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1581
Original post by Junaid16
That makes sense you should be able to do that. What are your choices in full? Seems like you might end up going towards an overly pessimistic application.

Pessimistic? Lol. Really? My application has been called optimistic countless amounts of times. I've applied to Cambridge, UCL, Nottingham, Birmingham and UEA. I've got an interview for Cambridge, Birmingham have given me an offer and Nottingham have rejected me.
Reply 1582
I'm worried that I'll get a Nottingham rejection! What do you think Notts focus on more, results, personal statement or LNAT?
Original post by Sem193

Original post by Sem193
I was wondering if I should swap UCL for Exeter or Reading as I believe that I have a better chance of getting into the latter. So should I? I've already gotten rejected from Nottingham so I think that I'll get rejected by UCL.

every singly person I know who'd applied to exeter and whose AS/predicted grades meet the requirements has got an offer already
Original post by aimlessinwonder

Original post by aimlessinwonder
Hey, anyone happen to know how long it takes for the LNAT people to send your results to your universities?
I've applied to Bristol and Nottingham of the LNAT universities and as they're now sending out offers, I was just wondering if anyone knew on average how long it took them.

Many thanks :smile:

I think its immediate. I'm pretty sure at the end of the LNAT when it ends it just send straight away and it says "your results have now been sent to your universities"
Reply 1585
Original post by silverspoonmess
every singly person I know who'd applied to exeter and whose AS/predicted grades meet the requirements has got an offer already

Have people who got AAB gotten in?
Original post by Sem193

Original post by Sem193
Have people who got AAB gotten in?

I have no idea, sorry. All the people I know who applied got AAA last year or are doing the IB.
But I don't know if its based on predictions or results, simply what I've seen from people I know, but I'm sure a bit of stalking of these forums and the law offers article could answer that question :smile:
Original post by Sem193
2 days ago. I was wondering if they would let me change UEA for Exeter or Reading and then UCL back to UEA. It says that I can change a university that is on the list as to one that's on the list and vice versa. I don't know if they would let me do this but I'm going to try.

I do not know whether you can change the same university in and out.

I have started a thread on this subject

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35173364

Assuming you can do it, wouldn't it be more sensible to change Nottingham for something else, given that Nottingham have already rejected you?
Original post by nulli tertius
I do not know whether you can change the same university in and out.

I have started a thread on this subject

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35173364

Assuming you can do it, wouldn't it be more sensible to change Nottingham for something else, given that Nottingham have already rejected you?

You can't subtitute a university that's already rejected you, otherwise everybody would do that and get no rejections.
Original post by Omiclops
You can't subtitute a university that's already rejected you, otherwise everybody would do that and get no rejections.

Please would you give a source for this in relation to yesterday's announcement of the right to change courses consequent on the OFFA fee changes.
Please would you give a source for this in relation to yesterday's announcement of the right to change courses consequent on the OFFA fee changes.

Oh **** excuse my ignorance then. So in theory any university that rejects you, you can substitute?

EDIT - So how would you go about substituting then?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Omiclops
Oh **** excuse my ignorance then. So in theory any university that rejects you, you can substitute?

We are not sure yet.

You either have to opt out of one of the OFFA list of universities which messed around with their fees into any other university or from any university into one of the OFFA list universities.

There is nothing that says that you cannot opt out of a university that has rejected you and the principle would only seem to work if you can do so.

In theory the reason you applied to Oxford and Durham rather than London South Bank and East Anglia was because you didn't like the look of LSBU's and UEA's fee regimes. LSBU has now reduced its fees and UEA has tweaked its fee regime. Accordingly the fact that Oxford has rejected you pre-interview and Durham is still considering you is irrelevant because you would have been applying to neither had LSBU and UEA originally adopted the fee regimes which they have now selected. Therefore you should be able to change both Oxford to LBSU and Durham to UEA.

See

http://www.ucas.com/documents/changesto2012-13accessagreements.pdf

http://www.ucas.com/changechoices
(edited 12 years ago)
We are not sure yet.

You either have to opt out of one of the OFFA list of universities which messed around with their fees into any other university or from any university into one of the OFFA list universities.

There is nothing that says that you cannot opt out of a university that has rejected you and the principle would only seem to work if you can do so.

In theory the reason you applied to Oxford and Durham rather than London South Bank and East Anglia was because you didn't like the look of LSBU's and UEA's fee regimes. LSBU has now reduced its fees and UEA has tweaked its fee regime. Accordingly the fact that Oxford has rejected you pre-interview and Durham is still considering you is irrelevant because you would have been applying to neither had LSBU and UEA originally adopted the fee regimes which they have now selected. Therefore you should be able to change both Oxford to LBSU and Durham to UEA.

See

http://www.ucas.com/documents/changesto2012-13accessagreements.pdf

http://www.ucas.com/changechoices

That's actually pretty cool. I mean as far as Law goes the universities on the OFFA list aren't exactly top 10 but it gives an opportunity to at least apply again and have another shot at one more place which is decent.
Original post by Fward
car journey actually....lucky for you....there is nowhere near where i live that does the course i want....i have also applied for Surrey, Staffordshire, Glamorgan and Edge hill....I've had offers from all of them except Staffordshire
I think Devon is quite nice....it depends where u live really...as im stuck a bit in the middle of nowhere

Where else have you applied for??

Ive applied for sheffield, sheffield hallam, nottingham, newcastle and leeds .. all close to home apart from newcastle .. but ive only had offers from both sheffield unis and not the others yet. but the thing is with me is i know atleast a couple of people who will be going to the same uni as me hopefully so i wont have to be by myself if i do decide to move away from home .. but i really dont want to stay in halls if i do move .. maybe get a flat or an apartment wbu ?
Reply 1594
Original post by Junaid16
Ok.. That might be the case before the changes, but after your proposed changes the same wouldn't apply. Cambridge, Birmingham, UEA, Reading. Compare and contrast to your previous lineup and the difference is clear. If you're rejected by Cambridge post interview, you leave yourself with only one top 20 law school (Birmingham) You'd be going from 4/5 in the top 15 to 2/4 in the top 20.

EDIT: Birmingham's a LNAT uni, so your Nottingham may well have rejected you for another aspect of your application, so might be wise to sit tight and see what UCL decide.

Ah, thanks. I think I will stick with UCL to see what happens.
Reply 1595
Anybody knows if UCL has ever accepted students with low lnat score?:angry::colondollar::colone:
Original post by APIS
Anybody knows if UCL has ever accepted students with low lnat score?:angry::colondollar::colone:

Almost certainly will have happened at some point but they will probably have had very good academics to make up for a poor LNAT score.
Reply 1597
gcses 8A* 2A 1B(enlish Language)
As AAAAAB
A2 Predicted A* Maths A History A Economics A Classical Greek
Lnat under 20
Rejected from nottingham kings
Any chance to get offer from UCL LAW?
Original post by APIS
As AAAAAB
Lnat under 20

How do you know your LNAT is below 20? By any means the UCL rate the LNAT very highly so you need to have scored pretty high.

Original post by APIS
As AAAAAB
Lnat under 20

Hate to say it... Notts and Kings are easier to get into than UCL...

Quick Reply

Latest