The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soutioirsim
What kinda cadence do you cycle at roughly? I have always been told that using too big a gear can really hurt your knees. If you've got quite a low cadence and you're pushing quite a big gear then try spinning a bit faster to take the pressure of a bit.

Cheers for that advice. Thats probably my problem to be honest. I to have a tendency to put it in a high gear and work my arse off!
Going to have to sort that out :smile:
Reply 3761
I've road bike and done abt 10.000km last year, check my site: http://shaman.us.to/my_bike :P

Original post by Brutal Chav
What's the most common cause of lower back pain?
After 20miles it starts to ache, after ~40 I can only ride standing up.
I've tried to lower the saddle, slide it back/forward, change handlebar angle... no change

This is really really ****ing me off. I've been training solo for a couple of months to rack up the confidence to join a club for the first time. Got 700miles in the saddle, hill repeats, intervals, flat-out sprints to school but nothing on endurance. SOMEBODY HELP!!! IS THE POSITION FAULTY OR IS MY BACK TOO WEAK?!?

Back pain will pass if You'll ride frequently.
Original post by Brutal Chav
Right
I crashed pretty badly into a car today doing I guess 15-17mph after I braked as hard as I could. Guy came from the left (I had right of way) but he didn't steer quite into the road so the impact sort of stopped me rather than deflecting me.
I think my front wheel's not bent but I have no way of telling whether my fork's alright or not... it seems unharmed but I hear you can't be too sure with carbon. Also my left shifter now faces inwards rather than straight ahead and I have no idea how to fix it. I lifted up the hood and it seems it's attached to the handlebars with a steel strip but I couldn't find where I can loosen it to put the shifter in its place. Am I making any sense to anyone? Pleeeease help, what do I do?

Did you sort it?
Sounds like a nasty crash, it always amazes me when people pull out in front of cyclist. They claim they dont see them, but most of the time I think its just the speed that catches them out. Not many people expect a bike to be doing over 5mph :rolleyes:
Thank god I've not had one like that yet! Had some moron smash me in the side at 10mph and rip my chain off, that upset me enough to consider not riding anymore! God knows how it feels to have a bad one :frown:

I personally would carry on riding with the forks as long as they look ok. Take it very easy and keep and eye on them for the first ride or something. If there is any sign of weakness or heat then ditch them. Last thin you want to do is have them fail while going over a bump at speed! But for peace of mind it might be better to replace them. Check out ribble and planet x, they have very reasonably priced carbon forks - along with everything else :tongue:

What shifters have you got?
I've had a similar problem after a crash and I just forced them back into place, probably not a good idea but hey! It worked for me :tongue:
Most have an allen bolt which releases the slack in the cable that connects them to the bars. Its usually in a royally arse arching position near the top of the hood, so it can be a bit of a battle. But all it really needs is a tiny little turn to give you some play then you can move it all back into place.
Original post by Tut.exe
zzz folding tires are such a bitch to fit in to the wheels. -,-' my fingers are hurting

Pfft dont get me started. The amount of times I've ripped up my hands getting my damn tires on.

My bontrager ones are easy, but the specialized turbo elite literally hate my wheels.
Original post by Shuv11

Hoping to get out on both bikes more, all part of my new fitness routine, and heading up to North Wales (Snowdonia) in a couple of weeks with a friend to do a bit of biking. Anyone got any suggestions on routes?

Up and down Snowdon? :tongue:
It looks like great fun on the way down! Pain in the arse to get up though. Might be worth a go?

Make sure you go in the early morning though, cycling is generally frowned upon during the day when most people are walking up and down!
Original post by levantine
I have a St John Amubulance cycling sprint test coming up and I have to do 1km in 150seconds maxmimum which is 15mph..is it possible?? is 15mph normal road cycling speed?

How did that go for you? :smile:
Original post by lonelykatana
Pfft dont get me started. The amount of times I've ripped up my hands getting my damn tires on.

My bontrager ones are easy, but the specialized turbo elite literally hate my wheels.

haha. I had those continental super sports plus one... makes me want to replace the rear tires too but too lazy to do it. so difficult to put them on -,-' I think the rigid ones are so much easier, they're already on form no need to effing stretch them... It's like fitting a woman some tight jeans that's 1 size less to them lol!
Got my new bike!! :eek3: :love:

It cost £950 but I'm selling my old bike tomorrow for £300 so it's not tooooo bad :tongue:
Reply 3768
Got my new bike!! :eek3: :love:

It cost £950 but I'm selling my old bike tomorrow for £300 so it's not tooooo bad :tongue:

You can't say you got a new bike without posting pics. :p:
Original post by lonelykatana
How did that go for you? :smile:

did it in 122 seconds..like a boss :smile:
Original post by Roobsa

Oh I will, in good time :biggrin:
Oh I will, in good time :biggrin:

atleast mention the model?
Original post by levantine
did it in 122 seconds..like a boss :smile:

Well done mate! :smile:
Original post by Tut.exe

atleast mention the model?

Original post by Roobsa

2012 Bianchi Nia Virone 7 :smile: I LOOVVVE HER.

DSC_0458.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

Looks sweet mate :smile:

Could anyone give me a rough estimate on how much it would cost to build a 'retro' style road bike? I have this image in my head but I don't know how to do it, especially gears :confused: Could anyone tell me prices, and how hard it would be to put together? The bike would only be for fun and relatively short rides to places, so I'm not planning a carbon fibre speed machine :wink:

Anyone have any bike building experience with road bikes - particularly what type of brakes and gears would be best? Cheers, and sorry for the hard question.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3775

DSC_0458.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

sorry but i dont approve

DSC_0458.jpg

Sweet ride mate... how much damage did it do to the bank account ?
Original post by Tut.exe
sorry but i dont approve

..Why not? :tongue:

Original post by Irishguy2K10
Sweet ride mate... how much damage did it do to the bank account ?

Ooooo.... Ummm... £950 :colondollar: But I managed to sell my old bike for £300 which made it slightly more bearable :tongue:. I keep telling myself that I'll work during the summer to make up for it!
..Why not? :tongue:

Ooooo.... Ummm... £950 :colondollar: But I managed to sell my old bike for £300 which made it slightly more bearable :tongue:. I keep telling myself that I'll work during the summer to make up for it!

i dont like the colour :smile:

Latest