The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Have any of you guys gone on anti depressants or regular medication for anxiety? I have diazepam (haven't used any yet) but need something to help with my anticipatory anxiety so a more long term solution. ( i've tried CBT, gradual exposure and atm trying hypnotherapy but need some additional help)

I've just been given sertraline for generalised anxiety/health anxiety/depression. Have only taken three so far though so not sure how they're going to work yet.
I've just been given sertraline for generalised anxiety/health anxiety/depression. Have only taken three so far though so not sure how they're going to work yet.

Thanks for replying, i've been given sertraline too! I started getting quite depressed and really unmotivated to try any of the things that provoke my anxiety so went to the doctors and he gave me 50mg of sertraline. I'm starting mine on sunday, hope I don't get any side affects. Let me know how you get on! :smile: (can't be bothered to be anonymous anymore, i don't think any of my friends have tsr anyway)
Original post by rachel0593
Thanks for replying, i've been given sertraline too! I started getting quite depressed and really unmotivated to try any of the things that provoke my anxiety so went to the doctors and he gave me 50mg of sertraline. I'm starting mine on sunday, hope I don't get any side affects. Let me know how you get on! :smile: (can't be bothered to be anonymous anymore, i don't think any of my friends have tsr anyway)

Good luck! There will be effects for the first few weeks and then it should get better. I have never tried sertraline, but citalopram and fluoxetine. The citalopram did help a bit. If you get physical symptoms like sweating, shaking etc propranolol may help?
Good luck! There will be effects for the first few weeks and then it should get better. I have never tried sertraline, but citalopram and fluoxetine. The citalopram did help a bit. If you get physical symptoms like sweating, shaking etc propranolol may help?

I don't seem to get physical symptoms like those, just racing heart beat, panicky breathing then usually end up crying uncontrollably which is always fun...
What kind of symptoms did you get in the first couple of weeks?
Have any of you guys gone on anti depressants or regular medication for anxiety? I have diazepam (haven't used any yet) but need something to help with my anticipatory anxiety so a more long term solution. ( i've tried CBT, gradual exposure and atm trying hypnotherapy but need some additional help)

I'm on propranolol (I love that name, makes me smile every time I say it out loud) and it helps with getting through normal days. When I know there's going to be something making me anxious I take an extra one in advance and that helps enough that I still get anxiety symptoms but mild enough that I can cope. Unfortunately it does nothing when I'm seriously worried.

When I started taking medication I thought that if I could control the physical symptoms then it would help me to deal with the anxiety itself. I've realised that's not going to work and now don't know what to do next. Can anyone tell me if counselling or something similar has helped them? I've had counselling before, but not for anxiety, and am extremely reluctant to go again because I hate talking to people.
Reply 2805
I was also on propranolol for a while, but it gave me really bad heart pain - I find it weird that when I said this to my doctor, they didn't investigate it. Just said "that shouldn't happen".
But even when I was on it, it didn't really help.

Personally, I haven't found counselling to work. CBT did nothing for me.

How are you finding hypnotherapy Anonymous? I will have a consultation session on monday for it.
Original post by Ambray
I was also on propranolol for a while, but it gave me really bad heart pain - I find it weird that when I said this to my doctor, they didn't investigate it. Just said "that shouldn't happen".
But even when I was on it, it didn't really help.

Personally, I haven't found counselling to work. CBT did nothing for me.

How are you finding hypnotherapy Anonymous? I will have a consultation session on monday for it.

I was anonymous, cba anymore though :smile: Umm I'm not sure it's helping as I found I wasn't in the right place to actually try doing things that provoked my anxiety alongside the hypnotherapy which was essential to it being successful. I know it has worked really well for other people but for me it hasn't purely because I'm not in the right frame of mind atm. I'm going to start on sertraline this weekend and then try CBT again and hopefully this time i'll be more motivated and confident in trying things again.
Original post by Tiger Eyes
I'm on propranolol (I love that name, makes me smile every time I say it out loud) and it helps with getting through normal days. When I know there's going to be something making me anxious I take an extra one in advance and that helps enough that I still get anxiety symptoms but mild enough that I can cope. Unfortunately it does nothing when I'm seriously worried.

When I started taking medication I thought that if I could control the physical symptoms then it would help me to deal with the anxiety itself. I've realised that's not going to work and now don't know what to do next. Can anyone tell me if counselling or something similar has helped them? I've had counselling before, but not for anxiety, and am extremely reluctant to go again because I hate talking to people.

With both CBT and hypnotherapy I found the people were so nice it was really easy to open up to them, I hate talking about it with family and friends but can easily talk about it to strangers. If you really don't want to do any counselling you could try gradual exposure so doing something that provokes a small amount of anxiety again and again until you don't feel anxious anymore then moving on to something more anxiety provoking etc
Hey. :hi:

I've been thinking about joining this thread for a while, but was worried about being 'unwelcome' (which is totally stupid because you're all lovely people...says it all about my anxiety really. :tongue:)

I've been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder since the age of 13, and am currently on sertraline to manage that and also my low mood due to an eating disorder. Hopefully I can offer some advice on this thread in the future. :h: Have a good evening!
Original post by briesandwich
Hey. :hi:

I've been thinking about joining this thread for a while, but was worried about being 'unwelcome' (which is totally stupid because you're all lovely people...says it all about my anxiety really. :tongue:)

I've been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder since the age of 13, and am currently on sertraline to manage that and also my low mood due to an eating disorder. Hopefully I can offer some advice on this thread in the future. :h: Have a good evening!

Welcome :smile: Always feel free to post any thoughts, or how your day is doing, sometimes its great to vent, and then anyone who replies to you might give you an alternative way of viewing the issue :smile:
Original post by sweetheartbreakin
I'm just wondering how long until a diagnosis is made when you visit the Dr. about panic attacks and anxiety issues? Does it happen on the first appt. or after a few?

I would guess that it depends on your doctor and on your personal symptoms. Sorry that's not a more helpful answer but I doubt there is one clear answer.

Original post by rachel0593
With both CBT and hypnotherapy I found the people were so nice it was really easy to open up to them, I hate talking about it with family and friends but can easily talk about it to strangers. If you really don't want to do any counselling you could try gradual exposure so doing something that provokes a small amount of anxiety again and again until you don't feel anxious anymore then moving on to something more anxiety provoking etc

They do tend to be nice people, I just still struggle to talk. I'm trying the gradual exposure method and it's helping a little but not enough that it feels like it's worth it.

This weekend has been a bad weekend in terms of anxiety. I spent most of Friday and Saturday feeling sick because I felt so anxious. I came to the conclusion last night that enough was enough and I should go back to the doctor. Then I woke up this morning and felt more positive and decided not to. But I need to. The problem isn't going to way on it's own. I need some help but it's not easy for me to go to someone and say that. I've booked an appointment for a couple of weeks time but have no idea what I'll say yet.
I find singing something helps takes the edge off my panic attacks
also helped to have someone tell me I wasn't going crazy and dying
I've had 3 in the last year, worst thing I've ever felt. I never knew true terror until PAs
Original post by Tiger Eyes
I would guess that it depends on your doctor and on your personal symptoms. Sorry that's not a more helpful answer but I doubt there is one clear answer.

They do tend to be nice people, I just still struggle to talk. I'm trying the gradual exposure method and it's helping a little but not enough that it feels like it's worth it.

This weekend has been a bad weekend in terms of anxiety. I spent most of Friday and Saturday feeling sick because I felt so anxious. I came to the conclusion last night that enough was enough and I should go back to the doctor. Then I woke up this morning and felt more positive and decided not to. But I need to. The problem isn't going to way on it's own. I need some help but it's not easy for me to go to someone and say that. I've booked an appointment for a couple of weeks time but have no idea what I'll say yet.

Im sorry you've had a bad weekend :frown: Hope things pick up this week!
Original post by pinacolada&rum
I find singing something helps takes the edge off my panic attacks
also helped to have someone tell me I wasn't going crazy and dying
I've had 3 in the last year, worst thing I've ever felt. I never knew true terror until PAs

I do the singing thing too :smile: Always worry that it makes me look even crazier than I already do though
Reply 2814
WAHEY GUESS WHAT! So I already have OCD but after researching and analysing myself I have come to the conclusion that I may actually suffer from Social anxiety! the worse part is that Ive been like this my whole life and been too afraid to be like normal teenager!

I did read somewhere that social anxiety can be manifested because of OCD and vice versa.

Ive been like this for so long I don't know which came first!
Hi. I'm new to this thread and have always found great difficultly in making and maintaining relationships through the years.

Never had a panic attack in public however my stress level of dealing with people builds up during the day and I need a nice shot of vodka at the end of the day to ease the racing thoughts.

Never seen a doctor specifically for anxiety, an currently self-medicating with etizolam (around 4mg a day) which I believe helps, have booked a doctors appointment for the 22nd to hopefully seek some therapy/counselling. Really not fond of these nasty SSRIs doctors give out like candy which are barely if anything statistically significant in reducing anxiety and cause a wide range of side effects.
Reply 2816
I had the consultation with the hypnotherapist this morning.

Awful. Absolutely awful.

I didn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He spoke like a true con man and I was literally just willing for him to shut up so that I could leave. As soon as we did, he literally pounced on my mum and ignored me telling her all the details about cost and how many sessions I would need.

I found him ridiculous, because he never asked about my anxiety. All I said was 'I have social anxiety' and he NEVER asked me any questions. Any information I gave was because I put it into the conversation, not because he asked.

I even told him the cause of it, why it happens and when/where it started. But it's like he completely ignored that and started talking about how every fear with have stems from when we were children and experiences that we can't remember, possibly.

My anxiety stems from another medical condition I've had all my life. I had a bad experience with this infront of a room full of people in the middle of a show and ever since have problems being round people in fear of THAT happening again. But it's like he didn't listen.

Infact, I'm SICK of so called 'professionals' not listening. It's like they're preprogrammed with specific responses instead of listening to what you say and accomadating.

I find this with him, with my CBT therapist and every doctor I've seen about this through my life.

I genuinely give up on professionals. I am sick to death of them telling me what I should be feeling or how I'm living when they don't listen to what I'm saying. Seriously - done.
Original post by riotgrrl
I think generally, when it gets to the point where it's seriously affecting your day to day life (like avoiding people for long periods of time), it's more than just run of the mill shyness. Have you been to see anyone about it?
I think I have a panic disorder, although I haven't actually been diagnosed either, because I'm not an especially anxious person most of the time, I just get sudden and intense panic attacks from time to time.

I haven't seen anyone about it. Just feels like, where I'm from, it's looked down upon, it's something to be ashamed of. People will talk and gossip. My family have the mentality of just stopping being so self-absorbed and get on with life. Everyone else has to. They're very sociable and popular so it's like I'm the odd awkward quiet one.
What brings on your panic attacks? I don't think I've ever had one.

Original post by mikeylfc1989
Yeah, that's definitely social anxiety, not just shyness. Seems it's improved a lot since then, and you've made good progress. I would tell you're Uni about it tbh, just in case you ever reach a point where you are missing lectures, falling behind. Just so you have the support there in case you're having problems.

I very nearly got kicked out of Uni at one point because I couldn't go to lectures, missed a presentation (and a chance to resit) and didn't really know what I was doing with the assignments, failed a few. I still didn't tell them and had to work through year with a poor average and being pretty far behind (content-wise). Not saying that is even likely to happen to you... :tongue:
I don't think you have anything to lose by telling them.

Why do you think you can talk to people in class?

General anxiety just means it doesn't fall into specific category, bit like chronic worrying about different things, some phobias...etc :confused:

Yeah, same as you, I will not ever do a presentation. I avoided my classes too because I had to do one. I would rather lose marks than feel like I'm humiliating myself in front of people. Worst nightmare. At school I had experiences of the whole class laughing and jeering at me, or all smiling to each other in a pity way...
Wouldn't telling the uni just bring more attention to myself though? I'm really ashamed of being this anxious, I think it would just make it worse, cause then I'll know everyone views me as weak and pity me, and feel better than me, which is what the anxiety stems from anyway. At least now I just come across as shy, and maybe slightly arrogant. :\
I think about interactions with people far too much that I freeze when it comes to it.
Plus, I think I'm handling it better, I haven't missed a lecture this term yet. Still scary at times though.

Sounds like you had a hard time. The guilt is the worst thing, because it feels completely irrational as it's everyday normal stuff for most people. Have you got over the uni stuff?
And do people know about your anxieties? Is it obvious?
Original post by mikeylfc1989
I've even had people saying how they wish they could be as easy-going as me. :tongue:

I've had this several times before, I've even been told that I'm the calmest person someone's ever met. It always makes me laugh and think "If only you knew..." I wonder if many people with anxiety come across as very calm, easy-going or laid back. And I wonder just how many of those who do come across as calm etc are privately the total opposite.

Just a point I found interesting, I'll butt out of your conversation now :tongue:
Ah man, sometimes I get so isolated being inside all the time, I go for little walks outside in the evening when it's quiet. I just tried to go on a bus to a shopping centre just because I haven't been there for a few years and couldn't get on the bus, so I came back home. I just want to do something. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest