The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Another painful sparring session last night, I had a round against this guy who had like three title belts and he dropped me about four times lol I had no chance.
Reply 1301
Original post by Busby_Babe
BJJ. There are certain drills that may trouble you some but as long as you're sensible you should be okay.

Would it be worth doing it if there are certain things that I am not able to do?
Original post by Mess.
For a person that doesn't really trust the stability of their knee, is there any other discipline that I would be able to partake in?

Not Judo - I don't know a Judoka who has been doing it for more than 10 years who hasn't had knee surgery. Consider BJJ and/or Submission Wrestling, but wear knee-pads if your knees are bad.
Just read this: some dummy held a Rear Naked Choke for 40 seconds and killed his cousin (who iswas also retarded for refusing to tap).

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/WWE-wrestling-fan-dies-at-Wrestlemania-28-party-in-rear-naked-choke-hold-by-cousin-040212

Anyone else want to bet that he wasn't trained in submissions and had just seen it on youtube? :rolleyes:
Reply 1304
Original post by Einheri
Not Judo - I don't know a Judoka who has been doing it for more than 10 years who hasn't had knee surgery. Consider BJJ and/or Submission Wrestling, but wear knee-pads if your knees are bad.

Would it be worth partaking in either of those disciplines if I won't be able to do the full range of exercises? Also, if I were to spar with someone then wouldn't they just go for my knee and it would be over in seconds :dontknow:
Original post by Mess.
Would it be worth partaking in either of those disciplines if I won't be able to do the full range of exercises?

Also, if I were to spar with someone then wouldn't they just go for my knee and it would be over in seconds :dontknow:

There are some things you'll struggle with, but that's the same in every physical activity. If your knees are really bad I doubt you'll ever hit the Jailbreak escape from sidecontrol or be able to have a tight High Closed Guard, for example, but a lot of people can't do those due to poor flexibility anyway.

No, if you tell someone that you have a bad knee they will avoid even touching it. Personally, if I see someone with their hand, foot, knee, whatever wrapped up I'll avoid touching it even if it means I give myself a disadvantage. People are there to train not to rack up gym wins (except the occasional newbie who is just trying to beat you - those kinds of people tend to suck and tire themselves out anyway); if you think they're "that guy" then just stress that you want to spar very lightly as you're injured and remind them if they start to up the intensity. Also, spazzy guys tend not to know any leglocks (mainly because instructors don't want to teach leglocks until you're more experienced), and you can always tell people you don't want to roll with leglocks anyway. I'd also sugegst that you try to spar with more experienced guys more than new guys; you'll get steam-rolled, of course, but they won't injure you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mess.
Would it be worth partaking in either of those disciplines if I won't be able to do the full range of exercises? Also, if I were to spar with someone then wouldn't they just go for my knee and it would be over in seconds :dontknow:

Sparring isn't about hurting the other guy or winning. Unless you were training with a huge douche he/she would avoid any injuries you have.
Reply 1307
Original post by Einheri
There are some things you'll struggle with, but that's the same in every physical activity. If your knees are really bad I doubt you'll ever hit the Jailbreak escape from sidecontrol or be able to have a tight High Closed Guard, for example, but a lot of people can't do those due to poor flexibility anyway.

No, if you tell someone that you have a bad knee they will avoid even touching it. Personally, if I see someone with their hand, foot, knee, whatever wrapped up I'll avoid touching it even if it means I give myself a disadvantage. People are there to train not to rack up gym wins (except the occasional newbie who is just trying to beat you - those kinds of people tend to suck and tire themselves out anyway); if you think they're "that guy" then just stress that you want to spar very lightly as you're injured and remind them if they start to up the intensity. Also, spazzy guys tend not to know any leglocks (mainly because instructors don't want to teach leglocks until you're more experienced), and you can always tell people you don't want to roll with leglocks anyway. I'd also sugegst that you try to spar with more experienced guys more than new guys; you'll get steam-rolled, of course, but they won't injure you.

Original post by Dr. Bassman
Sparring isn't about hurting the other guy or winning. Unless you were training with a huge douche he/she would avoid any injuries you have.

Thanks guys :yy: That is reassuring.

I am not very flexible at all and was hoping that getting involved in a martial art would help to increase my flexibility, strengthening my lower back as well as giving me a chance to increase the stability in my knee. I do have a fair few issues with my knee but increasing its flexibility would decrease the problems I think.

I was thinking about boxing but in Liverpool it would likely just be knobs looking for a fight. How would I go about finding the right place to learn this stuff in Liverpool :beard:
Original post by Mess.

I am not very flexible at all and was hoping that getting involved in a martial art would help to increase my flexibility, strengthening my lower back as well as giving me a chance to increase the stability in my knee. I do have a fair few issues with my knee but increasing its flexibility would decrease the problems I think.

I was thinking about boxing but in Liverpool it would likely just be knobs looking for a fight. How would I go about finding the right place to learn this stuff in Liverpool :beard:

I had a look around for some legit places:

Golden Glory - Very legit team, mostly known for Dutch kickboxing and not so much for BJJ or wrestling. I was suprised to see Marcelo Brigadeiro teaches there; he is a very legit BJJ and Luta Livre black belt from Brazil(wonder what he's doing in Liverpool, haha). However they only have two BJJ classes a week and it is no-gi only (makes sense considering it's Brigadeiro's class) (they have two wrestling too, but that might be harder on your knees especially if they are fond of going down on the knee when they shoot for a double-leg which most wrestlers do).

There's also The MMA Academy. Jason Tan is the instructor and he is a Brown Belt in BJJ and a retired MMA fighter (brown belt is a high level in BJJ - don't think that just because he doesn't have a black makes him a sub-par instructor; it doesn't); he fought twice in the UFC (lost both times but just getting that far means he was a world-class fighter in his prime). I'd never heard of him before but I've had a look at some of his fights and grappling and he seems very legit. This place also has a good full schedule of grappling rather than only a few classes a week like Golden Glory; I'd recommend them over Golden Glory unless you have a particular interest in no-gi and/or kickboxing (most people recommend beginning and learning your fundamentals in a gi anyway even if you would prefer to specialize in no-gi). They also have a two-week free trial which is great - no excuse not to give it a try! Here's their link:

http://www.mmaliverpool.com/

I haven't boxed regularly and seriously for about five years now (I just do BJJ, Submission Wrestling and Judo now), but that's generally not the case that they're "just knobs looking for a fight"; guys with that mentality generally don't last the first month. You can try out boxing or kickboxing at either MMA gym, but as I say Golden Glory is a famous camp (at least the one in The Netherlands is) for kickboxing.

As for flexibility; Google something like "beginner BJJ stretches" and follow it for half an hour a day (although you'll almost certainly be shown these in your first class). Butterfly sretches are probably the most important; flexible hips are more important than flexible knees (both will come as you get more experienced).

If you find another school you think seems good run it by us first or post asking about it on a site like Sherdog or Bullshido. Most inexperienced guys don't know how to recognise a crappy school/McDojo and can get sucked into paying for something that is not worth their time or money. And do a little background research on the instructors; how have they placed in a tournament? Have they had pro fights? How do students and former students rate them? Are they well respected in their respective disciplines?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
Just read this: some dummy held a Rear Naked Choke for 40 seconds and killed his cousin (who iswas also retarded for refusing to tap).

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/WWE-wrestling-fan-dies-at-Wrestlemania-28-party-in-rear-naked-choke-hold-by-cousin-040212

Anyone else want to bet that he wasn't trained in submissions and had just seen it on youtube? :rolleyes:

You may also need to come to terms with the fact that some dummies just get a buzz out of inflicting injury on others. Particularly those that enjoy watching wrestling.
Original post by Mess.

Martial arts arnt going to increase the stability in your knee, no matter what anyone tells you on here, i can tell you that as someone that trains and has done a medical degree. I dont know what you mean about "increasing flexibilty of your knee" - it is a joint that moves in only 2 directions. You can strengthen the muscles around the patella in a gym environment or at home, with low risk to doing an injury. If you have any inherent weakness, i would think very seriously about doing any sort of martial art - once you screw your knee, it will never return to 100% again, even with surgery.
Reply 1311
Original post by Mess.

I recommend Wing Chun :smile:, I think you should make an appointment with a physio so they can tell you what excercises you need to do for your knee.
Reply 1312
Original post by Z-Ninja
I recommend Wing Chun :smile:, I think you should make an appointment with a physio so they can tell you what excercises you need to do for your knee.

How much strain would that likely put on my knee? As it seems like it requires a fair amount of kicking.

I've been to loads of physios about my knee and it has a few structural problems but being able to increase the flexibility of my hamstring will help with some of the pain as well as the back pain I get. I try and keep up with those as much as I can :h:
Reply 1313
I want to start up a self defence martial art such a krav maga, staying heavily away from judo/brazilian ju-jitsu, what do you guys recommend and where in London?

Cheers for your help
Original post by cyfer
I want to start up a self defence martial art such a krav maga, staying heavily away from judo/brazilian ju-jitsu, what do you guys recommend and where in London?

Cheers for your help

Am I right in thinking you want to start in a self defence which is not similar to judo or BJJ? I don't come from London, but how about Hapkido or Aikido for example?

By the way I had my comeback in kickboxing two days ago and learn to one's cost. :redface:
Original post by Mess.
How much strain would that likely put on my knee? As it seems like it requires a fair amount of kicking.

I've been to loads of physios about my knee and it has a few structural problems but being able to increase the flexibility of my hamstring will help with some of the pain as well as the back pain I get. I try and keep up with those as much as I can :h:

Have you not thought of trying boxing? It's not classed as a martial art really but its just as effective, if not better than most other 'traditional' martial arts. It will sure make you a hell of a lot tougher than any 'traditional' martial art could.
Reply 1316
Original post by TheJ0ker
Have you not thought of trying boxing? It's not classed as a martial art really but its just as effective, if not better than most other 'traditional' martial arts. It will sure make you a hell of a lot tougher than any 'traditional' martial art could.

Boxing was my first thought :yep: I was just trying to see if there was anything else out there except for boxing as I can really see myself getting my arse kicked to absolute pieces in boxing :mmm: I also don't want to go to a gym full of a gang a knobs who just go looking for a fight which is the impression I get from most of Liverpool :awesome:
How would I go about finding a worthwile gym in Liverpool?
Reply 1317
Original post by Mess.

Wing Chun was created by a woman, therefore the main focus for the style was to become a soft style mainly to use hands and energy rather than strength. There are very few kicks in wing chun which are used rarely, but it is probably one of the fastest close combat hand to hand martial art styles.
Watch the movie Ip Man it is a really good movie about Bruce Lee's master, and probably shows the best choreographed wing chun yu will probably witness lol.

Well about your knee, wing chun focuses alot in stance and mainly on building your physical strength, endurance, reaction etc.. I think you should keep the aim of improving your knee to the physio and doctors..either way in martial arts you should defo let your instructor know and hereby i think it could help improve your knee, however, if your doing a stance incorrectly then it can cause major deformations if your knee is already structurally imbalanced. Consult with the instructor before yu begin yur training, he/she will give yu da best advice on what you can do about yur knee :smile:.
Original post by TheJ0ker

Of course boxing is a martial art! "Martial" = of Mars, the Roman god of war/fighting; "Art" = from Latin ars meaning skill. Boxing is very much a "fighting skill"; just because it isn't Asian in origin doesn't make it less of a martial art (same with western wrestling).

I think boxing is good for self-defence too providing you don't get over-reliant on using the gloves to block, catch and parry punches. Also remember that a lot of the ducking and weaving will off-balance you and effectively do a grappler's work of off-balancing you thus leaving you open for a takedown or even some lame rugby tackle. Also, remember that strikes to the head aren't such a great idea without gloves and wraps - your wrist and hand bones are not as strong as a skull; go for liver, diaphragm, kidneys and neck in a self-defence situation. I boxed for a few years; good fun and useful to have.

IMO anything with live, hard sparring will be good for you but bear in mind some tactics are more for the sport than the street e.g the glove work of boxing, the complex grip-fighting in Judo, inverted guards in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, rolling to your stomach in wrestling, et cetera.
Original post by Mess.
Boxing was my first thought :yep: I was just trying to see if there was anything else out there except for boxing as I can really see myself getting my arse kicked to absolute pieces in boxing :mmm: I also don't want to go to a gym full of a gang a knobs who just go looking for a fight which is the impression I get from most of Liverpool :awesome:
How would I go about finding a worthwile gym in Liverpool?

Yeah I understand what you mean, I live in Sheffield and I thought it would be like that too when I started kickboxing but when I first went everyone was really friendly and the instructors would have never put me in the ring sparring until I was ready. Tbh most cocky idiots wouldn't last 2 sessions at a good boxing gym, everyone who is there, is there to work hard not to look hard. I just looked on the internet to find one in Sheffield then I rang up and talked to one of the instructors. Also when I first went it was with a friend which was really good, made the whole place less intimidating when you first walk in, it also means you have a partner you know when you do drills.

Quick Reply

Latest