The Student Room Group

Is there any financial support for mature students on a access course?

Hi,

Im starting an access to science course in September and was wondering is there any help i can get being a mature student (ill be 23 start of the course) for the cost of the course as it doesn't come cheap at £950.

Also for living costs as well like travel etc...

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Pudz
Hi,

Im starting an access to science course in September and was wondering is there any help i can get being a mature student (ill be 23 start of the course) for the cost of the course as it doesn't come cheap at £950.

Thanks

Last year when I started there was a college bursary which we could apply for, it was for people on low incomes and was a couple of hundred pound, I think the amount and eligibility varies from college to college and it was given out on a first come first served basis, there were people who were eligible but didn't get it because the money had run out.

There were also fee concessions for certain people. To be eligible you had to either be on certain benefits or be under a certain age and not already have certain qualifications.

You will be entitled to get a student rail card which gets you 1/3rd off train travel and your local area might have discounts for students on buses.

The college should be able to provide you with this information, it could well be different this year. Lots of people on my course are still working and I think some of those on benefits have stayed on benefits.
Reply 2
If you haven't got a level 3 qualification e.g A-levels the course should be free. If you do have a level 3 qualification you could try enrolling while on Job Seekers, I here if you're in receipt of this benefit you may get it for free; you will have confirm this though.
As for travel fund/living costs it varies too much for me to give you an answer. Best bet is asking the college as any input I could offer would probably be wrong and not apply to you. You can thank the government for giving each college full control of the funds.
Reply 3
Original post by adam271
If you haven't got a level 3 qualification e.g A-levels the course should be free.

Just want to add that at my college that was only if you were under 25.
Reply 4
Original post by Pudz
Hi,

Thanks

Hi mate,

I'm on an AccessHE starting this September.

If you're aged 19 - 23 and this is your first full Level 3 Qualification, you shouldn't have to pay any course fees. However, you may be required to make contributions towards exam fees which is around £20 (Info' from my college).
Obviously, if you don't fit into this category, you will have to pay the fees.

This is the latest government scheme but, I was told by my college that 'things could change'. So personally, I think the best advice would be to seek guidance from the college that you'll be studying with.

Good Luck.
Reply 5
I think it varies college to college.....I didnt have to pay for my course as I fell into 19-25 age bracket without any level 3 qualifications. And the rumour about Job seekers allowance waves the fees; this is true! I know many people who did just that.. I also managed to benefit of the last year of ALG which was very helpful! Ask the questions at your college......because the key in life is get as much as possible for as little as possible! that implies when you get to uni also, as there are many bursaries that you would be eligible for which those who are 18 will not!
Reply 6
At my college they reimburse your travel and materials if youre on JSA or on low income.
I think it comes to about £250 a term which is fantastic as I only work part time so its a total godsend.

Thats the only support I get though (I paid £1500 for the course as I already have A-levels and am not on JSA), but it might differ from school to school so you should definitely ask your college.

Quick Reply

Latest