The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
10-15 mins walk to highfield. You have to go over this hump/bridge, then Langhorn, then up Burgess road. It's the same route the U1C uni-link bus (you get a free pass if you're in halls anyway), so you could probably hop on at a stop if you see it approaching. Riding up Burgess might be a bit of a mission, but riding down is always fun :biggrin:

Whenever I'm down at Wessex I never hear it. The blocks that are closest to the station might, I don't know.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Mustard-man
10-15 mins walk to highfield. You have to go over this hump/bridge, then Langhorn, then up Burgess road. It's the same route the U1C uni-link bus (you get a free pass if you're in halls anyway), so you could probably hop on at a stop if you see it approaching. Riding up Burgess might be a bit of a mission, but riding down is always fun :biggrin:

Whenever I'm down at Wessex I never hear it. The blocks that are closest to the station might, I don't know.

ok thanks, but that now worries me, i dont want to be allocated at the end of montefiore 3..but could it be THAT loud, i mean its just trains passing through rite? i mean the uni cant be stupid enuff to have halls next to a train station rite??? :eek: panic!!!
aloof47
ok thanks, but that now worries me, i dont want to be allocated at the end of montefiore 3..but could it be THAT loud, i mean its just trains passing through rite? i mean the uni cant be stupid enuff to have halls next to a train station rite??? :eek: panic!!!

there are sound regulations when building houses, you can't have a ouse to close to anything of great noise. i don't personally know what this is, because i've lived in the countryside all my life :rolleyes:
i was in monte 1, just in front of the train line and it was never that big a deal - u can hear it if u leave ur window open - but u can hear a lot worse than that believe me! just put it this way...drunken people arent very considerate!
Reply 5
haha thanks...i realise it wont affect me in a BIG way, but if it does, probably ask for a transfer, or will get used to it ..hope for the best, i dont hear anything, anyway i sleep through anything too..so haha..i dont knwo why im so worried, maybe the anxiety of actually going to uni this year!!!
Go to the (hartley) library then, if you want complete silence during study :smile:
Reply 7
I'm not sure about Monte1, but Monte2, 3 and 4 rooms which face the railway, are close to reception or the boiler house all have double glazing and if I closed my windows I didn't hear anything outside. Problem then is that it gets really hot, I had my radiator turned off and still needed my windows open all year round :frown:
Reply 8
Don't worry too much, even if it seems annoying at first you'll soon get used to it and probably not even notice it! I live under the heathrow flight path and regularly have planes every 30 seconds but after 19 years (won't take that long though!) I barely notice it, let-alone distract me.
Chances are you won't have a room right next to it anyway, my friend who started last year (I'm starting this year too) has a room overlooking the railway and i don't remember hearing them from her room even with the window open!
Hope it works out ok for you :-)
Reply 9
Thats all good to hear then because im probably going to be in monte 3

Latest

Trending

Trending