The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
vas876
You and about 4000 other applicants.

If you meet cardiff's GCSE scoring system, then why not, but again you are up against those with AAA predicted and achieved.

Id run far, far, far away from Aberdeen.

Keele, the personal statement and reference are important with them, you may get slightly further than i did last/this year with them, i almost got an interview. But they are a good one to apply to, as well.

Sorry, why would you run from Aberdeen? I'll look into Cardiff's scoring system, but wouldn't I be running the same risk as applying to any other AAB uni; those pesky triple A students should stop hogging the AAB places!
Did you get feedback from Keele, then?
Reply 141
hmmm...where is everybody?
Ulo
hmmm...where is everybody?

I will reply when i get a chance, just been busy recently.
Reply 143
Does anyone know anythging about Bristol? they said they would look at my extenuating circumstances but I thought they wanted 7 A*S for GCSE. My careers officer said that was rubbish but he hasn't been that accurate so far!
Reply 144
conorcd
Does anyone know anythging about Bristol? they said they would look at my extenuating circumstances but I thought they wanted 7 A*S for GCSE. My careers officer said that was rubbish but he hasn't been that accurate so far!

According to their site :A100: Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade A/A* to include English Language, Mathematics and two science subjects
conorcd

What are your extenuating circumstances?

Bristol are one of those tricky medical schools to read - I reckon they reject anyone that uses certain phrases, like an admissions tutors' version of bull**** bingo:

eg for 2010 entry rejected phrases included:

Lifelong interest in science

Fascination with the human body

I have a zest for science/life

I completed my D of E Gold award and learnt a lot about myself while leading my small team.

(PS have you noticed how everyone who does a D of E Gold is a team leader, noone is ever just a member of the group? How?)

DISCLAIMER : This is not true about Bristol admissions, it is just a bit of fun. But if anyone knows HOW Bristol really selects its Medical students then please get in touch.
ImWithTheBand
What are your extenuating circumstances?

Bristol are one of those tricky medical schools to read - I reckon they reject anyone that uses certain phrases, like an admissions tutors' version of bull**** bingo:

eg for 2010 entry rejected phrases included:

Lifelong interest in science

Fascination with the human body

I have a zest for science/life

I completed my D of E Gold award and learnt a lot about myself while leading my small team.

(PS have you noticed how everyone who does a D of E Gold is a team leader, noone is ever just a member of the group? How?)

DISCLAIMER : This is not true about Bristol admissions, it is just a bit of fun. But if anyone knows HOW Bristol really selects its Medical students then please get in touch.

Combination of GCSEs and Personal Statement.

They cound your top 8 GCSEs only and you get more credit for higer grades (A*s basically). Everyone on my interview day had about 9 A*s, but don't let that put you off if you reall want to go there.

I'd say your personal statement would be the most important thing w/ Bristol - they've got a list of requirements of what should be in it on their website so you've just got to fulfil those and not write like a 12-year-old and you'll be on for an interview.

Oh, and BTW, I talked about my DoE in my PS and I ended up getting (and flopping) an interview (admittedly it drew on stuff other than leadership, but you get the point).

A PS isn't about how much you've done - its about that way in which you spin it.
Reply 147
916-CALL-TURK
Combination of GCSEs and Personal Statement.

They cound your top 8 GCSEs only and you get more credit for higer grades (A*s basically). Everyone on my interview day had about 9 A*s, but don't let that put you off if you reall want to go there.

I'd say your personal statement would be the most important thing w/ Bristol - they've got a list of requirements of what should be in it on their website so you've just got to fulfil those and not write like a 12-year-old and you'll be on for an interview.

Oh, and BTW, I talked about my DoE in my PS and I ended up getting (and flopping) an interview (admittedly it drew on stuff other than leadership, but you get the point).

A PS isn't about how much you've done - its about that way in which you spin it.

Do you have any idea about an interviews:redface:ffers ratio?
Ulo
Do you have any idea about an interviews:redface:ffers ratio?
There's 219 places, right? I reckon they give out a bit less than 300 offers.
It's clearly not true about Bristol being prejudiced against independent schools. I saw in the Sunday Times Good Uni Guide that Bristol have one of the lowest state school student intakes of all the unis (as well as Oxford, Cambridge, Durham). (Just in case this rumour is putting anyone off Bristol.)

Perhaps non UKCAT unis are more heavily reliant on GCSE results in general? Dunno.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 150
I was a bit worried as Bristol comes up in the lists of GCSE whores along with Birmingham. I contacted them and they said they have the minimum they accept and the rest is all added together as part of overall application. I am still unsure as they are very popular (2300 applicants?) and may use gcses as a cut-off like Cardiff who say how they score it but don't mention the actual cut-offs they have used ( it was 5 or 6 A*S last year).
Reply 151
ImWithTheBand
What are your extenuating circumstances

my mum was really ill from the August before I started Year 12 to the October of my Year 13. I looked after my 3 brothers ( aged 15, 10 and 0) as dad left. Really blew my AS Levels (BCCD) and school advised me not to resit any but to concentrate on Year 13. Got As for most of the Year 13 modules and had BBB offers so thought I was okay. I wasn't! I got ABC and Newcastle said no.
lots of unis won't accept the year 12 problems as they say I should have resat which is understandable. wish I had resat even one but hindsight is great isn't it?
Bristol are meant to do around 700 interviews but they don't seem to give details of number of offers
(edited 13 years ago)
[QUOTE="conorcd"]
ImWithTheBand
What are your extenuating circumstances

my mum was really ill from the August before I started Year 12 to the October of my Year 13. I looked after my 3 brothers ( aged 15, 10 and 0) as dad left. Really blew my AS Levels (BCCD) and school advised me not to resit any but to concentrate on Year 13. Got As for most of the Year 13 modules and had BBB offers so thought I was okay. I wasn't! I got ABC and Newcastle said no.
lots of unis won't accept the year 12 problems as they say I should have resat which is understandable. wish I had resat even one but hindsight is great isn't it?
Bristol are meant to do around 700 interviews but they don't seem to give details of number of offers

Sorry to hear about your family problems. Sounds like you had a difficult couple of years.

That's good that Bristol are willing to accept an application from you. I know someone who got into Brisitol with 4A* 6A at GCSE last year. They do seem popular but I think lots of people apply to non-UKCAT unis when they flunk the UKCAT.

How come you had a BBB offer from Newcastle, where you a Partners scheme applicant? It's a bit tight of them not to let you in with ABC, was the C in chemistry?
conorcd

have you looked into other widening medicine courses that are 6 years at UEA and Southampton? Your grades would be fine for them. You just need to fulfil certain criteria, look in to them :smile: x x x
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 154
Hi guys. Sorry to intrude. I really need some advice. Would you ming listening to a brief story?

I did one year and twelve weeks of my chemistry course. This does not qualify as extenuating circumstances in retrospect.

At AS level I achieved AABBB Distinction, (English, Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths, Drama in that order).

I resat some maths and chemistry, but this year my grades were:

English: A* Human Biology: A Chemistry: B Maths: B PA: Distinction

I was 9 UMS off an A in maths, and only 13 off in chemistry. I have decided to resit two of the chemistry exams, but was wondering what you think my chances are. I know everyone who applies to med school is super intelligent and high achievers, and although I put all my effort in I feel like I failed and have no chance less I go post grad.

I know I can get the A and make up the marks, as I am not busy this year and chemistry is my only focus. I'm convinced I can get seven marks more on each exam now I'm not juggling 5 a levels, work, and my dad's redundancy.

I just wanted to know what you think my chances are as a resit candidate applying to med school (BSMS, Southampton, and I dunno what else yet; I'm desperate!) with two instances of med related work experience, a certificate in first aid, a job in teaching assistance with Special Educational Needs pupils and ASD pupils, impending voluntary community work in Peru, and a course in behavioural and ASD intervention. I'm hoping those extras will make up for the resits.

I haven't sat the UKCAT yet, but last year I got 638.5 or something. I'm so nervous this year, I feel like I'll do worse rather than better. And I know last year was borderline. MY VR And QR is ridiculously bad.

Sorry, I've rambled.

What do you think? Thank you. So much!!

I hope your applications go well this year by the way, from one resitter to loads others :smile:
Reply 155
Ahh, just to be annoying I'd like to add:

would I qualify for the foundation year at southampton dya think? neither of my parents did higher education
however i have to fall into an additional category. Although I work with vulnerable people, i have not looked after them ins ecure accommodation as is required.

Or my family can recieve means tested benefits.

My dad gets jobseeker's allowance and has been redundant for 4 - 5 months although he had a high earning job beforehand and savings. My mum has a part time job and lives away from us, and earns a very small amount.

What do you think? surely if my dad gets a job I'll no longer be eligible.
Reply 156
[QUOTE="ImWithTheBand"]
conorcd

How come you had a BBB offer from Newcastle, where you a Partners scheme applicant? It's a bit tight of them not to let you in with ABC, was the C in chemistry?

yeah I was partners. passed the medicine summer school with merits which they say means "excellent potential to succeed in the subject". sadly wasn't so excellent in my results tho! C was for chemistry.
Also had BBB offer from Leeds but chose Newcastle. what sort of idiot blows BBB offers? unfortunately me! Leeds and Newcastle have said I can go on the same schemes this year but the med schools would have to give me another chance and I doubt they will. so wanted newcastle but maybe it happened for a reason
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 157
indie_couture
have you looked into other widening medicine courses that are 6 years at UEA and Southampton? Your grades would be fine for them. You just need to fulfil certain criteria, look in to them :smile: x x x

last year I went to apply for soton 6 year and they advised me to go for the 5 year option. I did and got rejected as I was only predicted AAB and they said there were lots of AAA predictions! kind of put me off them. UEA were really good when I phoned them and they are high on my possibles list. really love norfolk area too.
have changed my mind a hundred times. waiting for ukcat test to decide- I went and put it off from sept 23rd to oct 5TH and wish I hadn't now but no spaces left
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 158
if he is on the benefits now-when you fill in the form-that's all that matters.you are telling the truth. have you looked on the widening access info page on here. will send link.

have you looked into unis that don't need an A in Chemistry? there are more options for reapplicants than for resitters so if you have AAB already, you don't need to resit. look at the unis that might take you without resits and contact them to doublecheck.
Reply 159
conorcd

if he is on the benefits now-when you fill in the form-that's all that matters.you are telling the truth. have you looked on the widening access info page on here. will send link.

have you looked into unis that don't need an A in Chemistry? there are more options for reapplicants than for resitters so if you have AAB already, you don't need to resit. look at the unis that might take you without resits and contact them to doublecheck.

I wasnt aware that there were unis that didnt need an A in chemistry for it? I do have A*ABB I spose, plus the drama which doesnt really count as it was BTEC. And thanks for your advice :smile: I spose there's a point there :biggrin:

Just so you know, even peninsula told me I would need to resit . But of course if I dont have to resit, that would be great too :smile: