The Student Room Group

Cambridge Class Lists 2011

New address (courtesy of Zygroth): http://www.srcf.ucam.org/ccl/

Site Last Updated: 20110713 (Wednesday 13th July 2011)

As with previous years, I will be collecting photos of the class lists posted outside Senate House and making them available at the following website:
Cambridge Class Lists 2011

The website is restricted to those either with Raven authentication (current Cambridge students) or those on the cam.ac.uk domain (people on the Cambridge University network), so doesn't make the class lists any more public than they currently are. It also provides a more efficient (and more private) mechanism for the sharing of class list photos than simply exchanging them amongst users on TSR (which has happened in previous years).

I know it's ridiculously early to be making this thread as many people still have exams going on, but last year I inadvertently hijacked a thread discussing whether class lists should be made public at all, so I thought I'd make my own thread this year.

So when the class lists are published, please could anyone who has any photos send them to me (my CRSid is in the website address) so I can upload them to the website.

Finally, I am graduating this year so if anyone is interested in continuing it and/or keeping the old class lists (back to 2009) available on a Cambridge-restricted (probably on the SRCF as I have done) website, then let me know.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unfortunately I won't be able to take photos this year as I'll be writing my thesis right up to the 27th.
Reply 2
Original post by Craghyrax
Unfortunately I won't be able to take photos this year as I'll be writing my thesis right up to the 27th.

No worries. :smile: I should probably be more free than usual to do some myself for a change (no guarantees though!).
Reply 3
Relatedly, does anyone know when/where the class lists for the Mathematical Tripos will be read out? There's an honorary degrees ceremony on the usual date...
Reply 4
Original post by alex_hk90
No worries. :smile: I should probably be more free than usual to do some myself for a change (no guarantees though!).

There might be ones still coming up once I'm done which I could do, but I don't want to promise anything yet. If I end up being horribly sleep deprived and collapse afterwards then I'll regret it.
Reply 5
Hmm are the class lists published on the same day every year?
Reply 6
Original post by Zygroth
Hmm are the class lists published on the same day every year?

They're often the same day relative to the exams (and so relative to the other subjects), as the exams are often the same day relative to each other.
Reply 8
Reply 9

Thanks for the link. :smile: I've added those publication dates to the website.
Reply 10
Probably stupid question: I'm assuming graduate results aren't Senate-Housed as well? Don't recall ever seeing any MPhils there :tongue:.
Reply 11
Original post by SunderX
Probably stupid question: I'm assuming graduate results aren't Senate-Housed as well? Don't recall ever seeing any MPhils there :tongue:.

I don't think so. But on the list there are a few things listed along the lines of "Master of Advanced Study Degree in Materials Science", so maybe some of them are?

PS: I went to Seante House today and tried to take some photos, but a combination of reflection and blurriness has made a lot of them useless. :sigh: Some might be recoverable though so maybe the first update will be made later today. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by alex_hk90
I don't think so. But on the list there are a few things listed along the lines of "Master of Advanced Study Degree in Materials Science", so maybe some of them are?

M.A.St. degrees are usually some kind of not-for-honours Part III, if I remember correctly.
They probably realise they can't get away with treating postgraduates like children, and therefore keep our results private :rolleyes:
Reply 14

They probably realise they can't get away with treating postgraduates like children, and therefore keep our results private :rolleyes:

Takes some of the ceremony out of the end of year though - huddling up with people to check results. We don't even get a decent graduation - I'm the only Jesuan on the course and most of the people I know in college are 1st year PhD's :frown:.
I've had my fair share of 'ceremony' thanks. People should be able to conceal their grades if they want. One of the nicest things about my MPhil years is that people don't constantly go comparing themselves to eachother. Everybody's completely chilled and doesn't care what other people are getting, which is the way it should be.
Reply 16
Original post by nulli tertius
When I first graduated The Times published all undergraduate university degree results and all Polytechnic firsts.

Now I appreciate that the numbers graduating now make paper publication unviable but there is no reason why all results are not published on the internet. Universities published the names of all people graduating from the 16th century and published class lists from the introduction of examinations. I see no reason why this has changed. A degree is a public status.

I know that Charles Darwin took the 10th best ordinary degree of his year. Why should that information be denied to me about today's scientists?

If you want to discuss whether or not the lists should be public, please make your own thread - this thread was made purely for sharing and discussing the Cambridge Class Lists for this year. Thanks. :smile:

PS: The first update has now been made, courtesy of iamb. :smile:
Reply 17
A more significant update today, with thanks to *Liana*. :smile:
Oh god, here we go again. Must we go through this every year?

There is a reason why the University does not make class lists available online (the issue of the Reporter that contains them is expressly not put online, unlike all the other issues). It is to protect the privacy of students. And, yes, I know that this website is Raven-authenticated. But, putting it up online still gives it a level of publicity not intended by the University in making lists available at Senate House.

So, yes, it DOES make it more public than the lists currently are.

I realise that I am not going to change any minds here since many of us have had this discussion over and over. But, with this time of year coming up again, I just wanted to register my disapproval of this practice of photographing every single class list and making it available online.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Leviathan21
There is a reason why the University does not make class lists available online (the issue of the Reporter that contains them is expressly not put online, unlike all the other issues). It is to protect the privacy of students. And, yes, I know that this website is Raven-authenticated. But, putting it up online still gives it a level of publicity not intended by the University in making lists available at Senate House.

I just want to point out that the Computer Science department does publish them online. In fact they have all the class lists for Computer Science going back to 2007 available for viewing, behind a Raven authentication wall. I don't think it's helpful to second-guess the motives of the university - the departments that haven't put them up may just have never gotten around to it technically. We don't know that.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest