The Student Room Group

is Great Britain great

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
the post cards are pretty self explanatory. Yes Britain is Great
Great Britain is not great...it's bloody marvellous.

One of the only countries in the world where banking is free!

Imagine a situation where you were in a serious accident and your health insurance didn't cover your life saving surgery. Alternatively, in a serious accident that forced you off work but your country didn't have a benefits system forcing you to beg borrow and steal or starve.
Thankfully, none of the above would happen in GB!

Say what you like about my country but I love it and wouldn't want to live anywhere else!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
"Oh no what happened to my mighty great england britain." ...............:pierre:

As if to say you remember the days of when the uk rulled the world. :rolleyes: The uk you see today is the uk most if not all of tsr have known all their life. Stop trying to kid on the uk today is some sort of **** hole compared to your idea of this british "utopia" of the 19th and early 20th century. I'd rather worry about the drinking culture of people in their 20s that we have today than worry about smallpox and 2 world wars.
Reply 24
No. it was, ages ago.
Reply 25
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
I kind of agree, I would have thought that Stonehenge would have been the obvious one. I mean who doesn't like Stonehenge? It's awesome, and about 10x as ancient as the Tudors . . .

That said, Henry gets a bum rap. Damn revisionists.

I find Stonehenge a bit dull.
We have the best TV in the world. And some of the best music in the world. TV and music are pretty great.
Original post by adamrules247
Henry VIII, a genocidal mass murderer, I mean, really :curious:

When has curiosity and fascination in historical figures ever been about their moral worth? Hitler, Genghis Khan, Vlad the Impaler, Napoleon, Alexander the Great (and so on) aren't famous and intriguing to people because they were moral paragons.
Reply 28
Boasting is disgusting.
Reply 29
Original post by the bear
Britain has a wonderful track record of inventing stuff: the internet, the wireless, the telly, the teacosy, jelly, pasties...
Young People of TSR rise up and invent something !!

:bear:

The Internet was invented by the US government.

Also how do you know jelly was invented in Britain?:tongue:
About as good as any other idea that the government has come up with.
yeah, its awesome! im very proud of bein able to calle me sen "British"!
Original post by Chav Princess
When has curiosity and fascination in historical figures ever been about their moral worth? Hitler, Genghis Khan, Vlad the Impaler, Napoleon, Alexander the Great (and so on) aren't famous and intriguing to people because they were moral paragons.

It's more the fact he's being used as an example of the "Great" History of Britain, when he's clearly part of the worst. A genocidal tyrant, squandard his father's hard earned cash, made unecessary war.
Reply 33
Great at importing jonny foreigners?
Reply 34
To me, Great Britain is great.

But to make it an even better place after times of trouble, we do need to make changes.

You guys watch when Britain will be one of the last remaining countries in a few years. :tongue:
Original post by Psyk
The Internet was invented by the US government.

Also how do you know jelly was invented in Britain?:tongue:

That was ARPANET, Sir Tim Bernes-Lee invented the INTERNET!

and before you argue i have done two years of an IT course at college and have started a two-year HE-level IT course, so i think i know! and they were quite borin actually

oh, and we invented the computer as well, search "Colossus computer", we had a fully electronic computer capable of workin out complex maths problems and had MEMORY in 1943!
(edited 12 years ago)
Well I don't think would get as much investment if we started calling ourselves 'Crap Britain'
Original post by adamrules247
It's more the fact he's being used as an example of the "Great" History of Britain, when he's clearly part of the worst. A genocidal tyrant, squandard his father's hard earned cash, made unecessary war.

'Great' doesn't relate to moral worth, hence Alexander the Great.
Reply 38
Original post by YorkieLad101
That was ARPANET, Sir Tim Bernes-Lee invented the INTERNET!

ARPANET was the predecessor to the INTERNET and Sir Tim Bernes-Lee invented the WORLD WIDE WEB which is a service that runs on the INTERNET.

and before you argue i have done two years of an IT course at college and have started a two-year HE-level IT course, so i think i know!

Well if you want to play it that way, I have a masters in computer science, I've been working as a professional developer for 2 years and I used to have a professional networking qualification.

Regardless of your qualifications, you fell into the common trap of thinking the Internet and the World Wide Web are the same thing. WWW is one of the services that runs on the Internet. Email isn't necessarily part of the world wide web, but it's still part of the Internet.

oh, and we invented the computer as well, search "Colossus computer", we had a fully electronic computer capable of workin out complex maths problems and had MEMORY in 1943!

Yeah Britain does take credit for that one :tongue:
Original post by Psyk
Well if you want to play it that way, I have a masters in computer science, I've been working as a professional developer for 2 years and I used to have a professional networking qualification.

beaten fair and square i guess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending