The Student Room Group

Is Computing A 'Soft' Subject?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ferrari_1996
Ok, I don't know if I should swap Computing with Biology.

Do what you want to! Maths and 3 sciences is a good option if you want a scientific career such as medicine/dentistry etc.

I have friends studying computing they all enjoy it. I also enjoy biology, its really interesting.

So its all up to you
Reply 21
It really depends on the uni and course. For CompSci/Computing:

Imperial calls it very useful
Oxford will accept an A* (in their standard A*AA) offer in computing (or maths, f.maths, physics)
Trinity College, Cambridge says it is only suitable as a 4th A-level

Further Maths would be better though. At the end of the day you've got three solid science subjects with or without biology. You should go with what you enjoy. Hope this helps :smile:
Ok, apparently Biology has a lot of memorizing? And are you friends doing AQA Computing or OCR?
Ok, I don't know if I should swap Computing with Biology.

Which Sixth Form/College do you go to? Also, if I do Further Maths as well will the work load be too high?

For the third time, Handsworth Grammar school!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah thats hard, but if you can cope with go for it.

Go for Maths, physics, further mathematics and computing if you want to. It's a really good combo
Original post by ElMoro
It really depends on the uni and course. For CompSci/Computing:

Imperial calls it very useful
Oxford will accept an A* (in their standard A*AA) offer in computing (or maths, f.maths, physics)
Trinity College, Cambridge says it is only suitable as a 4th A-level

Further Maths would be better though. At the end of the day you've got three solid science subjects with or without biology. You should go with what you enjoy. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks. By 3 solid subjects you mean Maths, Physics and Chemistry?
Reply 25
Thanks. By 3 solid subjects you mean Maths, Physics and Chemistry?

Yep :smile:
Ok, apparently Biology has a lot of memorizing? And are you friends doing AQA Computing or OCR?

AQA

Yeah it is kinda, but also a lot of how science works questions
Original post by 16dan2life
For the third time, Handsworth Grammar school!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah thats hard, but if you can cope with go for it.

Go for Maths, physics, further mathematics and computing if you want to. It's a really good combo

In Solihull Sixth Form only do Further Maths as part of a 5 AS package (you choose 5 subjects and you drop one subject after AS so you do 4 at A2 level). So which 5 subjects shall I choose? Or is it not worth it doing 5 subjects at AS?

Sorry if I'm bothering you with all the questions.
Solihull Sixth Form Computing is OCR. I wonder how OCR Computing compares to AQA.
(edited 12 years ago)
Definitely worth working on the English to pull up to a B or better. A C may well count against you at top unis. Having said that, I got a D/C borderline in my English GCSE mock exam, but managed to pull 2 As in lang and lit through hardcore revision and decent coursework grades.

Computer Science is pretty much (as I understand it) the theory of computers at everything from the transistor level to the highest levels. Slightly less applied and probably roughly equal in "respect" than software engineering, which is the same but with more of an emphasis on practical programming.

Personally, I chose Biology over Computing at AS for both a change in style and a change in the sorts of people in my lessons (more females :P). Also, you need to have Biology for biological-type degree studies, but only maths for computer science.

I'm applying for Physics BTW

Hope this helps!

Edit: I did Physics AS, Chemistry AS, Biology AS and Maths A level (in one year) last year, and this year I've dropped to Further Maths A level (in one year), Physics and Chemistry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks nickbob00.
now I'm confused. Computing or Biology? Which one is easier? I'm assuming Computing but then again Universities prefer Biology over Computing, right?

I've narrowed it down to 2 combinations:

Combination 1: Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

Combination 2: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing.
(edited 12 years ago)
In Solihull Sixth Form only do Further Maths as part of a 5 AS package (you choose 5 subjects and you drop one subject after AS so you do 4 at A2 level). So which 5 subjects shall I choose? Or is it not worth it doing 5 subjects at AS?

Sorry if I'm bothering you with all the questions.

Ok, A levels are hard. Yes i remember Solihull make you take 5 AS, i wouldnt if i was you. 4 is enough.

Seriously think this through, what do you want to do at university.

Maths & 2 sciences= perfectly fine
Maths & 3 sciences= Difficult and can get annoying
Maths and F.Maths= Recommend for those who get straight A* in gcse maths
now I'm confused. Computing or Biology? Which one is easier? I'm assuming Computing but then again Universities prefer Biology over Computing, right?

Matters.......... Take Bio for a fully scientific course at uni
Take computing for an engineering career/Math course
Reply 34
Is it?

I'm thinking of doing Computing, Physics, Chemistry and Maths. Shall I do Biology instead of Computing?

And what's Computer Science?

Please Reply. Thanks.

No its not, ICT is the soft one -_- no offence just in comparison computing>ICT
Ok, I think I'll leave you alone now...I'm going to go to sleep now, we will chat tomorrow! I guess I'm not doing Further Maths....
Reply 36
I live in Birmingham BTW. Is Solihull Sixth Form better than Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College?

Sorry for asking yet another question. LOL.

I go S-...

Wait a damn minute, how do you know!? :|

Anyway, it's an awesome place. Better than JC mainly because a lot of idiots go to JC, at least from what I know.

Oh and remember this- it does NOT matter if you go to a grammar Sixth form or not, it's all about your OWN motivation.

I chose SSFC over grammar beacuse I could meet more people, do more enrichment stuff, be more independent (at grammar they will work you like a machine).

your choice really.

And yeah, do 4 AS subjects at first. MAYBE Further maths as well- got for 2 weeks and see whether or not the workload would be too much.

Finally, I'd go for maths and 3 sciences, if you like the subjects. I regret choosing Computing- easy, but beyond boring imo.
Reply 37
It isn't considered a soft subject, maybe considered softer then some, but I highly doubt you'll ever be disadvantaged unless you choose to do something completely unrelated like English or History.
Reply 38
Original post by MSI_10
Anyway, it's an awesome place. Better than JC mainly because a lot of idiots go to JC, at least from what I know.

Oh and remember this- it does NOT matter if you go to a grammar Sixth form or not, it's all about your OWN motivation.

I chose SSFC over grammar beacuse I could meet more people, do more enrichment stuff, be more independent (at grammar they will work you like a machine).

JC ain't a bad college mate, I don't go there, but a good number of friends who do; also it's a got a better reputation surely than Solihull. Also, it's got higher points average per student. Ofsted also gave it a 1, wheras Solihull got 2. Also Solihull seems more vocational than academia, so OP, considering the A Levels you're doing; choose carefully.

I agree though with Grammer sixth forms, I quit one a couple of weeks back. Yeah, OP if you're also looking at social elements, head for a college.

Computing isn't seen as a soft subject neccessary, it depends on what other subjects you're doing. As you're doing pure sciences, it'll look ok and keep your options open. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 39
I do Maths, physics, chemistry and computing ...and i hope to study computer science at uni.
Basically You do not need to biology but you can study it as your 4th As subject and drop it the next year. Don't bother doing more than 3 A2 subjects unless your doing further maths because you will just drag your grades down...
I find computing not too hard but it is very boring tbh, but definetly choose maths and physics and your good (y)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply