The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amwazicles

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Amwazicles

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous

Spoiler

That's great, well done :jumphug:

Mmm, I fancy an apple now :tongue:
Original post by .snowflake.
4stone in 6 weeks!!! no wonder people are concerned!!

I know i hate it i look HORRIBLE i want to put onweight so badly, i just found that my way to deal with being hurt and dumped was to go into overdrive of keeping myself busy and this usuallly included going to the gym and exercising but then feeling sad and not eating and the weight has just dropped off. I hate being so skinny i cant find clothes to fit in a shop, my hair is coming out im freezing all the time :frown:
Just been made to feel like a right plank in front of the gp. :sigh:

I went to see him because my chest pains have been more frequent lately, and he asked me how long they would last for, and when I told him they lasted for about a minute or so at a time he sorta chuckled and said "That's very normal really, I could give you medication but if the pain is gone in a minute there would be no point in taking it. You have no reason to be concerned if they're that short."

:cry2: I feel so embarrassed.. like I completely overreacted. I didn't even want to go to the doctors but my friend made me.
Reply 2126
Original post by briesandwich

I went to see him because my chest pains have been more frequent lately, and he asked me how long they would last for, and when I told him they lasted for about a minute or so at a time he sorta chuckled and said "That's very normal really, I could give you medication but if the pain is gone in a minute there would be no point in taking it. You have no reason to be concerned if they're that short."

:cry2: I feel so embarrassed.. like I completely overreacted. I didn't even want to go to the doctors but my friend made me.

No need to be embarassed. It's a natural reaction for a person concenred about their weelbeing to make. If you've committed yourself to getting well that you'll get anxious about potentially harmful sensations that might have resulted from the ED. You've done the right thing though-it COULD have been serious, but it wasn't so you've nothing to worry about. Now let this be an extra incentive to fight it and make sure it stays that way!

Spoiler

:hugs:
Reply 2127

I'm sure it wasn't his intention to make you feel that way! He would have just been trying to make you feel better about it.
:hugs: eeeeeee :biggrin: i'm excited for you, so much good will come from it :yep:
you can do this dude. If i can get a comment off my german teacher on my essay that 'my accuracy is getting better' when he's deliberately being picky, you can put those last 5lbs on.
Reply 2130

Spoiler

It would be so much easier to just go without and settle for breakfast and dinner. Every attempt of making one's conspired against me and left me with nothing. But then it'd be easy to say how about not making breakfast because I'll screw that up too, and then waheyy, we're back to square one. So No. Just No. Anything is better than nothing.
But still, I don't know whether I have a right to post here really.
(edited 12 years ago)

I don't think that's anything to be too embarrassed about, it's better to check these things than not and then discover it's a problem well after it could have been prevented from developing into a bigger issue. I'd still monitor it if I were you just incase, but don't stress too much.

Atleast your GP seems relatively pleasant! My therapist told me to go to my GP about my chest pains and racing heart, because it was becoming a concern and she basically said 'I'm sure it's fine' without asking any questions etc and that was it, end of. My therapist has told me to go back but I'm not going to argue with the GP over it. My therapist hates my GP I think that's probably the bottom line, she does not understand her reasoning and neither do I. I guess we are in the same boat though!
Going to the doctor was the worse thing I ever did. I hate myself for doing it, I've lost everything.
Original post by sophiemay20
Going to the doctor was the worse thing I ever did. I hate myself for doing it, I've lost everything.

How have you lost everything?
Original post by Antiaris
How have you lost everything?

I'm about to lose my job, I had to quit college, my parents are about to kick me out because of my mood swings, my friends don't want to talk to me any more and I was supposed to have an operation on my ear today but the doctor cancelled it just before it was about to begin because he found my blood test results from last week (which a ****ing psychiatrist made me do) and because they're so bad he said there's no way it can go on, plus I didn't fast and was up b&p until 4am because I just can't help doing it. List goes on. It's screwed so much up... I can't take it anymore.
(edited 12 years ago)
About to lose your job? Make sure you don't. If you can't, look for a new one.
You quit college? Pick it up again at some point. If you don't want to, fine. There are other options. Pick one that appeals.
You missed an operation? It can wait.
Apologise to your friends and to your family. Don't say you feel bad to us, tell THEM that you feel guilty. They are the ones that should hear it. Be honest and be OPEN for once. I'm betting you bottle a lot. If they let rip, let them. Don't argue. They need to get stuff off of their chests and listen to them.
You B&P'd? Put it behind you, that was you back then. Not you NOW. You are better. Doesn't matter about the past, only matters what you do in the future.

Things are only over when you give up, and you have no real reason to give up. People care for you, we care for you, some people don't even have that. Fight for your life, because that is what you are doing. You've done it all of your life, you can carry on. Keep. Fighting.
Original post by sophiemay20
I'm about to lose my job, I had to quit college, my parents are about to kick me out because of my mood swings, my friends don't want to talk to me any more and I was supposed to have an operation on my ear today but the doctor cancelled it just before it was about to begin because he found my blood test results from last week (which a ****ing psychiatrist made me do) and because they're so bad he said there's no way it can go on, plus I didn't fast and was up b&p until 4am because I just can't help doing it. List goes on. It's screwed so much up... I can't take it anymore.

If you lose your job it's not the end of the world, despite what people say there are other jobs out there and it might be helpful for you to take a bit of time out and look around. I went part time at work temporarily and it did a lot of good for me because I felt overall less stressed and anxious and wasn't as quick to make 'bad' decisions.

Do your parents and friends know about your eating disorder? I always thought telling my parents would be the absolute worst thing that could happen. But after 9 years of seeing me this way it turned out they had already guessed and were relatively understanding. We don't really talk about it, but it's better that it's slightly more open

With the blood test and cancelled operation, again it can be rescheduled. If you concentrate on what you can do to improve the test results next time that might be something to work towards? I wouldn't blame your psych, I imagine their intention was to look out for you and your wellbeing. There might be something revealed by getting the blood test that is potentially damaging to you and can now be reversed. I put off having blood tests and a couple of weeks later I ended up in hospital nearing a heart attack and I was 17 at the time. You really have so much to live for. Even after all this time I still want to live, I still crave vitality but I understand the daily internal struggle with those feelings all too well. It does getter better though, although I am not recovered I feel 10x better than I did even a year ago.

With the b/p you just have to commit to not purging in this moment. It doesn't matter about yesterday, tomorrow or next week, if you just think to yourself every morning 'today I will not purge' and if you don't it's a step in the right direction, if you do you just have to not dwell on it and start again with the process. I was getting very caught up in saying 'I won't purge for X many days' but it's better not to set a time frame, just do the best you can here and now.

I apologise for the anon, if you want to talk any time let me know and I can PM you.
Reply 2137
Sophie, I graduated and got the ideal job. Then anorexia nervosa took over.

I was 25 and now I'm 27. I work for Ubisoft. You might know them as the guys that make Driver, Rayman and Assassin's Creed. They're a MASSIVE videogames company, and I am a very established artist for them. Your own personal professional success is absolutely no bearing on your success as an individual, let me tell you. I've been off on long-term sick with this b*st**d of an illness doing odds and ends for them, but all I want is to get back to work.

But every time, I keep falling foul to a terrible white blood cell count, hormonal imbalance, or dramatic weight drop.

I want my life to be about MY LIFE. But instead it's about a stupid eating disorder. It's so crap. When things seem a LITTLE too tough, the ED takes charge and BAM! I am one step further from living a normal, exciting life.

I did my six years (two years college and four university) and got a great job, so why is this arbitrary, stupid thing holding me up?

Ask yourself that and then think about it for a while. For me, it's a difficult thing to define, but if it can be distinguished early... eradicate it and live life PROPERLY.
Original post by TotoMimo
Sophie, I graduated and got the ideal job. Then anorexia nervosa took over.

I was 25 and now I'm 27. I work for Ubisoft. You might know them as the guys that make Driver, Rayman and Assassin's Creed. They're a MASSIVE videogames company, and I am a very established artist for them. Your own personal professional success is absolutely no bearing on your success as an individual, let me tell you. I've been off on long-term sick with this b*st**d of an illness doing odds and ends for them, but all I want is to get back to work.

But every time, I keep falling foul to a terrible white blood cell count, hormonal imbalance, or dramatic weight drop.

I want my life to be about MY LIFE. But instead it's about a stupid eating disorder. It's so crap. When things seem a LITTLE too tough, the ED takes charge and BAM! I am one step further from living a normal, exciting life.

I did my six years (two years college and four university) and got a great job, so why is this arbitrary, stupid thing holding me up?

Ask yourself that and then think about it for a while. For me, it's a difficult thing to define, but if it can be distinguished early... eradicate it and live life PROPERLY.

O.M.G you work for the people who make Assassins creed. -flails-. Ahem. :hugs:

You will beat this stupid little voice in your head, even if I have to lop the top of your head off and dragg the spiteful bitch out...
Reply 2139
Original post by .snowflake.
O.M.G you work for the people who make Assassins creed. -flails-. Ahem. :hugs:

You will beat this stupid little voice in your head, even if I have to lop the top of your head off and dragg the spiteful bitch out...

Toto, what's your opinion on Raving Rabbids? I miss the whole element of freeing Electoons, fighting space pirates and telling Globox to shut up...
Seriously though, this has raised my respect for you even higher. I just wanted to say thanks for indirectly contributing towards a childhood of awesome platformers :biggrin:
Have you ever considered that your ED may have come from a need to fulfil ever-spiralling ambition? To give yourself a goal when you weren't sure what's next? Because if that's the case, we need you to make some more killer shots for killer games!
Keep fighting, dude, you'll find a way through.

Quick Reply

Latest