The Student Room Group

History of Art 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lumos

Original post by Lumos
Hi guys, I'm not applying for history of art (but my friend is), I was just wondering if any of you took art history AS level/A level? basically we did it for the first time at our school last year, and failed epicly... most people got D's and E's, my friend who's applying to do history of art at uni and has been getting A's throughout the year got a D and was so cut up about it... I was just wondering if it's been a tricky subject with anyone else/if results have been surprising. the school's putting it down to bad teaching but in all honesty our teacher was pretty good and I really enjoyed the classes... I think we weren't prepared for the required writing style of the exam and what kind of response was needed in the analysis sections of the exam... oh well.

YES! I was getting As last year and am continuing to at A2 but I got a C in June and I was shocked. It's not hard to retake so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed I'll do better this time :/
Reply 61
I've applied to Edinburgh, UCL, Leeds, Warwick and Sussex

Offer from Sussex AAB/A*BB

Anyone heard anything from the others I've mentioned?!
Original post by Angelala
Well done on your offers, I'll be applying to Glasgow too :smile: do you mind me asking what your (predicted)/grades are?
See you at the Courtauld on Fri!

I got A (Art), A (RS), C (History) at AS and am predicted A (Art), A (RS), B (History) at A2.

I've got my Courtauld questionnaire now as well, and am nearly ready to send that off for Friday.
Reply 63
hey history of art people,

just wondering how many of you have language a levels?

Im doing a art foundation course but now want to apply for history of art and emailed cambridge for info on their course but they stressed how important languages are despite my 3 A*'s in history of art, english lit, and fine art.

im now thinking might have to take up a language in a gap year.....

any thoughts??
banned
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by catcalling

I have an interview with Leeds on the 24th and I read somewhere Edinburgh don't get back to you until around January sometime after they've received all applications.
Reply 66
Original post by clodagh19
hey history of art people,

just wondering how many of you have language a levels?

Im doing a art foundation course but now want to apply for history of art and emailed cambridge for info on their course but they stressed how important languages are despite my 3 A*'s in history of art, english lit, and fine art.

im now thinking might have to take up a language in a gap year.....

any thoughts??

I'm not doing languages either (History of Art, History, Eng Lit and Music) but do have Italian and French GCSEs, it can depend which college you look at, some say a language is preferable, but the general guidance on their website is that no specific subject is required. I got an interview at cambs without doing a language (waiting on the result!) and I think they provide some lessons in languages, i know other uni's like york and warwick definitely do. The only benefit I can see for taking that year to do a language is because they get a bit funny about fine art, and prefer you to have three other A levels besides :/ but tbh with your grades I'm sure you'd be fine :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 67

Hey!! :-) What do you think about Edinburgh? Do they have a good HoA dept.?
Reply 68
Original post by RH114495
I'm not doing languages either (History of Art, History, Eng Lit and Music) but do have Italian and French GCSEs, it can depend which college you look at, some say a language is preferable, but the general guidance on their website is that no specific subject is required. I got an interview at cambs without doing a language (waiting on the result!) and I think they provide some lessons in languages, i know other uni's like york and warwick definitely do. The only benefit I can see for taking that year to do a language is because they get a bit funny about fine art, and prefer you to have three other A levels besides :/ but tbh with your grades I'm sure you'd be fine :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile: good luck with your application!

can i ask what your predicted grades are? and what college you've applied to?
Reply 69
I applied to UCL and received an interview email today :biggrin: I was wondering if anyone else has received news as well for January 25th?
Reply 70
Original post by Fleecedog
I applied to UCL and received an interview email today :biggrin: I was wondering if anyone else has received news as well for January 25th?

yess i received the exact same news! well done! im soo nervous already haha
Reply 71
Original post by lauraroses
yess i received the exact same news! well done! im soo nervous already haha

Same! well done both of you! does anyone know how many people they interview compared to how many places they have please?
Reply 72
Original post by nathanaelwong
I have an interview with Leeds on the 24th and I read somewhere Edinburgh don't get back to you until around January sometime after they've received all applications.

I have an interview at Leeds in January! Phew!
I thought that may be the case, thank you!
Reply 73
Original post by clodagh19
Thanks for the advice :smile: good luck with your application!

can i ask what your predicted grades are? and what college you've applied to?

No worries and thank you! :smile:

My predicted grades are A*,A,A,A (I got 3As and a B at AS) and I applied to Pembroke, this year they did an Art History Taster Day for Cambs applicants at Pembroke, was really good, they may do another one next year, around July time I think :smile:

Yes! I confirmed straight away but haven't got the email with the map etc yet...
I applied to Leeds, Essex, Oxford Brookes, Kent and Sussex about 3 weeks ago.

I have an AAB/A*BB conditional offer from Sussex, has anyone heard anything from any if the others? I know Leeds have given a few interviews ...
Reply 76
this has died down a bit!! how's everyone doing? anyone heard anything back from courtauld or anywhereee?

people with UCL interviews how are you feeling? any idea what to expect?!
not heard from the courtauld yet.. but they did say it would be 15th of february latest so we could all be waiting a while!
has anyone got offers from goldsmiths?
Reply 78
Original post by georgiamargherita7
not heard from the courtauld yet.. but they did say it would be 15th of february latest so we could all be waiting a while!
has anyone got offers from goldsmiths?

i wish courtauld would hurry up! getting impatient haha :smile: and yes i got an offer of AAB from goldsmiths in november i think :smile:
Reply 79
I've applied to do history or art tooo :smile: i've had 4 replies so far from University of nottingham, university of birmingham, university of leicester and university of glasgow, now just waiting for university of edinburgh....fingers crossed!

Good luck guys :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest