The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1540
Original post by PeaceFreak
The fact somebody cleans the bathroom twice a week so we don't have to makes things so much better, i'm more worried about grinding my face off on the exposed brickwork in the rooms than anything else.....

or getting a massive splinter from the wooden walls.
The fact somebody cleans the bathroom twice a week so we don't have to makes things so much better, i'm more worried about grinding my face off on the exposed brickwork in the rooms than anything else.....

Original post by OSharp
or getting a massive splinter from the wooden walls.

LOL! ^^
Yeah because we'll be spending out time rubbing up against the brickwork/wooden walls all day - as you do..
Reply 1543
'Barry Keel, the council chief executive, said the universities were blaming "governance issues" but governance could be changed if necessary. Councillors unanimously voted to call for the universities to pause the process of splitting and hold formal consultations.'

Governance could be changed :P

I's there like an official petition opposing this split, because seeing as how were all potential stakeholders i'd really like to sign one.
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
LOL! ^^
Yeah because we'll be spending out time rubbing up against the brickwork/wooden walls all day - as you do..

I'm generally a very clumsy person so yeah... avoid me in clinical sessions
I'm generally a very clumsy person so yeah... avoid me in clinical sessions

Noted.

Original post by carcinoma
x

Original post by OSharp
x

I doubt the split will actually go ahead, nothing is final yet (by the looks of things, it has not even been approved by the councils such as the GMC etc.).
Some very hasty announcements were made that could make some people look very stupid soon..
Then again, I could be completely wrong and 2013 could be the end of Peninsula :frown:
I'm in Exeter :frown: Really reallly really wanted to be in Plymouth!!! :frown:

...Does anyone know how many people are per flat (standard/Rowancroft Mews) and whether it's mixed gender (really hope it's not single sexed :wink: )
Reply 1547
Original post by JuicylucE
I'm in Exeter :frown: Really reallly really wanted to be in Plymouth!!! :frown:

...Does anyone know how many people are per flat (standard/Rowancroft Mews) and whether it's mixed gender (really hope it's not single sexed :wink: )

5 share a toilet, shower, kitchen and social area. and you can specify on the form whether you want mixed gender or single sex.
Original post by mementomori
Hey guys,

Just got my pack today and I've been allocated to Plymouth. I did want Exeter a bit more but I'm sure I'll have a great time wherever.
Is everyone planning on applying for halls, since we apparently have priority?

I've been allocated to Exeter but really wanted Plymouth! :frown: Wanna swap?! :wink:
Hello!

I've also been allocated Plymouth and I will choosing and applying for my halls soon. Any suggestions? Where do you spend most of your time? Is it better to be really close to main campus, or a bit closer to the med school up by Derriford, like 'Alexandra works'?
Original post by OSharp
5 share a toilet, shower, kitchen and social area. and you can specify on the form whether you want mixed gender or single sex.

Cheers :smile: That's quite good, do you know if you get sinks in the room? Not sure about 5 to a toilet&bathroom though... when we'll all be getting up at roughly the same time :L

Wow, this really seems a mess.

I got a exeter medical school prospectus in the post and next to "exeter medical school awarding MBBS" (paraphrase) it had a little asterisk that was noted "with approval of GMC" and i just thought, wow this is really slapdash and i feel sorry for peninsula students.
Reply 1552
Original post by Orinincandenza

I got a exeter medical school prospectus in the post and next to "exeter medical school awarding MBBS" (paraphrase) it had a little asterisk that was noted "with approval of GMC" and i just thought, wow this is really slapdash and i feel sorry for peninsula students.

Would be very funny if the GMC just turned around and said no. I doubt they would very much though. :frown:

Original post by JuicylucE
Cheers :smile: That's quite good, do you know if you get sinks in the room? Not sure about 5 to a toilet&bathroom though... when we'll all be getting up at roughly the same time :L

Yeah apparently you do, which is good because i dont fancy another £30 per week for a en suite
Original post by OSharp
Would be very funny if the GMC just turned around and said no. I doubt they would very much though. :frown:

Yeah apparently you do, which is good because i dont fancy another £30 per week for a en suite

That's good at least! No, I don't like the idea of paying £125 a week!
Original post by Orinincandenza

Original post by OSharp

The GMC will require that they are satisfied at every level before they give their approval. So that will be a very long process.

In the meantime if the split proceeds both the courses will be IDENTICAL and have very similar rotations.

Far more thought should have gone into this prior to the announcement with far more consultation, the entire situation has been handled backwards.

They made the easy decision before planing the specifics, which to everyone seems completely rushed and thoughtless.
Reply 1555
I was just about to apply for accommodation for Plymouth, but was wondering where you spend most of the first year as a med student. Is it the John Bull building near Derriford hospital? I thought this because that is where all the letters are coming from.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Reply 1556
Hello!

I have just firmed Peninsula, so I feel it's time for me to get involved in this thread. :smile:

How long would you expect before I hear from them, informing me of my allocation etc.? Also, have you guys had to return much paperwork? If so, what deadline was given?

Thank you.
Reply 1557
Spoke to an admissions lady today-I've been allocated to Plymouth! :smile:
Reply 1558
Original post by Vortoxic
I was just about to apply for accommodation for Plymouth, but was wondering where you spend most of the first year as a med student. Is it the John Bull building near Derriford hospital? I thought this because that is where all the letters are coming from.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Its not like that atall, don't worry! in first year you go up to the JBB twice a fortnight- a free bus service and everything. Everything else is done on main campus,so get accom there!
Reply 1559
Original post by carcinoma
x

What has your experience of the pbl at peninsula been like overall? I'm still undecided between peninsula and QUB which is mostly traditional rather than pbl

Quick Reply