The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Olympic Village

So, huzzah, Royal Holloway is getting ready to become an Olympic Village for the upcoming Games! How exciting!

Or, rather...not. Anyone who's been on campus recently will have seen the mess caused by the 'preparations' for the Games- the fencing, the concrete, the general destruction. It looks rough.

Hence why I'm starting this thread: does anyone know what the benefits are of Royal Holloway being an Olympic Village to us students? Why weren't we told about the level of disruption that would happen? And when is it all going to go away?
I've been off-campus all year, what are they doing? anyone got any photos? I suspect it's of no benefit to us students but the uni itself is probably making a little extra money off the olympics committee by moonlighting as a travelodge :P
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
They've always used it as a travelodge out of term time - it's how it earnt the nickname Royal Holloway: Banquets 'N Conferences :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by toastehmonstah
I've been off-campus all year, what are they doing? anyone got any photos? I suspect it's of no benefit to us students but the uni itself is probably making a little extra money off the olympics committee by moonlighting as a travelodge :P

I'll try and get some photos when I go back after Easter. Hmm, true, but the damage done is pretty extensive (though I'm assuming it will all be reversed at the end of the Games, but still...)

Original post by themadone
They've always used it as a travelodge out of term time - it's how it earnt the nickname Royal Holloway: Banquets 'N Conferences :smile:

Travelodge I don't mind- however, a fair portion of campus looks pretty awful now. A friend of mine said it looked like 'East Berlin', and I can't help but agree- I saw it when they were only starting the works, and even then, there were these large concrete cylinders, a strange form of street lighting by the looks of things, the road down to Reid looked like it was being dug up, and metal fencing absolutely everywhere. Apparently now there are areas of campus out-of-bounds to students. I feel sorry for anyone graduating this year, with campus like this.

I know it sounds like I might be being a bit melodramatic, but it really isn't nice...I guess there's also the added fact that Royal Holloway always looks so pretty, so seeing a place I consider home and am very fond of being uglified like this makes me quite sad.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by llacerta
I'll try and get some photos when I go back after Easter. Hmm, true, but the damage done is pretty extensive (though I'm assuming it will all be reversed at the end of the Games, but still...)

Travelodge I don't mind- however, a fair portion of campus looks pretty awful now. A friend of mine said it looked like 'East Berlin', and I can't help but agree- I saw it when they were only starting the works, and even then, there were these large concrete cylinders, a strange form of street lighting by the looks of things, the road down to Reid looked like it was being dug up, and metal fencing absolutely everywhere. Apparently now there are areas of campus out-of-bounds to students. I feel sorry for anyone graduating this year, with campus like this.

I know it sounds like I might be being a bit melodramatic, but it really isn't nice...I guess there's also the added fact that Royal Holloway always looks so pretty, so seeing a place I consider home and am very fond of being uglified like this makes me quite sad.

It'll all get sorted soon enough, I'm volunteering at the village for the Olympic and Paralympic games so I can give an insight, though obviously there are some things I can't comment on. There will be over a thousand rowers and officials living on Campus during the games and they are going to be building facilities for keeping them entertained. I know they are using the Hub but I don't know if they are using SU buildings at the moment. They also have to make the campus completely accessable for the Paralympics and find space for things like a centre for fixing orthotics etc.

It's a pretty prestigious gig for the Uni when you think about it, in addition it's basically a solid booking of about two months for them over the summer so that's income in that way. not only that though but they provided accommodation for the Junior rowing competeition and other test events.

I don't know what they are or how many of the specific changes are going to be permanent or anything but the general philosphy of the games is that anything that hasn't got a post game use will be taken away afterwards. The entire Basketball arena is a temporary building which is going to be taken down and used at the next two Winter and Summer Olympic games sites.

Also as someone graduating this year don't feel sorry for me. I've been here long enough that my memories of it are hardly going to be sullied by a bit of construction work. They'll have started it now to be minimally invasive to the students, and it's not like they've ripped a chunk out of founders :wink: If they are putting in new lighting then that's just as well, I've walked through campus enough times after working a night shift at the SU that any extra lighting is good with me!
Reply 5
Original post by LizB
It'll all get sorted soon enough, I'm volunteering at the village for the Olympic and Paralympic games so I can give an insight, though obviously there are some things I can't comment on. There will be over a thousand rowers and officials living on Campus during the games and they are going to be building facilities for keeping them entertained. I know they are using the Hub but I don't know if they are using SU buildings at the moment. They also have to make the campus completely accessable for the Paralympics and find space for things like a centre for fixing orthotics etc.

It's a pretty prestigious gig for the Uni when you think about it, in addition it's basically a solid booking of about two months for them over the summer so that's income in that way. not only that though but they provided accommodation for the Junior rowing competeition and other test events.

I don't know what they are or how many of the specific changes are going to be permanent or anything but the general philosphy of the games is that anything that hasn't got a post game use will be taken away afterwards. The entire Basketball arena is a temporary building which is going to be taken down and used at the next two Winter and Summer Olympic games sites.

Also as someone graduating this year don't feel sorry for me. I've been here long enough that my memories of it are hardly going to be sullied by a bit of construction work. They'll have started it now to be minimally invasive to the students, and it's not like they've ripped a chunk out of founders :wink: If they are putting in new lighting then that's just as well, I've walked through campus enough times after working a night shift at the SU that any extra lighting is good with me!

That's some really interesting information, thanks! I didn't realise quite so many rowers and other Olympics-related individuals would be arriving- it's a bigger operation than I thought.

The lighting is a weird one, haha, just because I couldn't figure exactly what they were at first, since they're not your standard street lamps (and hence I'm not sure if they're permanent or not). I'd actually rather they weren't permanent, because they're pretty weird- there's a couple of them on the walk up by the back gate, just before you get to the steps, and they're these very large concrete cylinders with lamps sticking out of the top of them. They look a little like something out of War of the Worlds. But yes, in general, extra lighting is always a good thing!

Another complaint of mine has to be that College has hardly told us what would be going on with the Games...For example, I don't know whether I'll be able to to work at the College Shop over the summer because it seems like even they don't know if they'll be open or not. I know everyone knew that parts of campus would be effected, but I don't think the extent of the work was highlighted to us (unsurprisingly, I guess).

But thanks again. Congrats on getting a volunteering gig on site, too! Sounds like it will be pretty fun.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by llacerta
That's some really interesting information, thanks! I didn't realise quite so many rowers and other Olympics-related individuals would be arriving- it's a bigger operation than I thought.

The lighting is a weird one, haha, just because I couldn't figure exactly what they were at first, since they're not your standard street lamps (and hence I'm not sure if they're permanent or not). I'd actually rather they weren't permanent, because they're pretty weird- there's a couple of them on the walk up by the back gate, just before you get to the steps, and they're these very large concrete cylinders with lamps sticking out of the top of them. They look a little like something out of War of the Worlds. But yes, in general, extra lighting is always a good thing!

Another complaint of mine has to be that College has hardly told us what would be going on with the Games...For example, I don't know whether I'll be able to to work at the College Shop over the summer because it seems like even they don't know if they'll be open or not. I know everyone knew that parts of campus would be effected, but I don't think the extent of the work was highlighted to us (unsurprisingly, I guess).

But thanks again. Congrats on getting a volunteering gig on site, too! Sounds like it will be pretty fun.

Yeh it's a massive undertaking and it's still nothing compared with the main Stratford village which I've seen a design for and is just so cool. The thing I was quoted was that during the olympics they'll be providing 50,000 meals a day at the main village canteen which is the size of like 7 football pitches!

They do seem to make odd choices sometimes with the look of some things but you have to hope they have some kind of over all plan.:confused: More lights at the back gate I'm definitely in favour of in the winter it gets far too gloomy down there.

Honestly they probably don't know because some things haven't been finalised yet, there's so much negotiation they have to go through with everyone to get stuff done that you get the feeling that for some things it's just not been decided yet! My guess would be the college shop will be open as they said they wanted a shop for the athletes to buy essentials at but whether it'll be being run by you guys or taken over by say the volunteers like me I haven't a clue. The catering is being run by the normal college catering people though.

Thanks! I'm not even sure exactly what I'll be doing yet! Won't know until I have 'venue specific training' which I will find hilarious as it'll be "and here's the hub!" "Yup knew that already..."
Reply 7
Most of the temporary infrastructure (lights, cameras, fencing will be removed at the end of the games. A lot of infrastructure is going in behind the scenes that will be left (more cables, drainage and a vodafone phone mast. Carpark 4 is also being re-surfaced)

The athletes will be staying in the new halls, dining in the hub. Medicine and stumble inn are being taken over by them.

The main SU building will be open to students and will be showing sports on 3 big screens in the main hall (with comfy sofas etc)

I dont live on campus anymore but I really hope theres no excessive noise during exam period when students will want to sleep at even stranger hours than usual!
Reply 8
Original post by LizB
It'll all get sorted soon enough, I'm volunteering at the village for the Olympic and Paralympic games

Weirdly i've been offered the parlympic games but it still says under review for the olympics.
Reply 9
Original post by gm15
Weirdly I've been offered the parlympic games but it still says under review for the olympics.

It took ages for them to decide with me. I had my interview in September but only got accepted in about early March. I got offered both at the same time though.
Only just saw this whilst browsing the threads, but my boyfriend and I went for a unofficial visit around RHUL. There were policemen with huge guns everywhere. It was so scary. I think seeing it in that state has put me off from going, or is it not normally like that?
Reply 11
Original post by Laurenx123x
Only just saw this whilst browsing the threads, but my boyfriend and I went for a unofficial visit around RHUL. There were policemen with huge guns everywhere. It was so scary. I think seeing it in that state has put me off from going, or is it not normally like that?

Haha, yes, we usually have lots of policemen with guns around- it's the only way they can get the students to behave. :biggrin:

Only kidding, of course; this is just for the Olympics. We do have security on campus during term time but I don't think they tend to carry guns on them! What you saw of Royal Holloway on your visit is probably quite different to how it usually feels, especially as it was during the holidays, as well as with the influence of the Olympics.
no i know there are no guns normally :biggrin:, it just looked really shabby imo
Reply 13
no i know there are no guns normally :biggrin:, it just looked really shabby imo

That would be the olympic people trashing the place because a) they are really badly organised and b) there aren't tv cameras buzzing around so don't have to have the place spotless.

Also the atmosphere is different as most people are away

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U20i
Reply 14

It's very strange to hear someone say campus looks shabby, haha. But I understand what you mean- when these Olympics people moved in and started messing everything up, I was very annoyed (hence this thread), precisely because Royal Holloway is usually so tidy and pretty. But as far as I know, they will have to clear it all up when they leave, so fingers crossed it'll be mostly sorted out and back to normal by September.
Original post by gm15
That would be the olympic people trashing the place because a) they are really badly organised and b) there aren't tv cameras buzzing around so don't have to have the place spotless.

Also the atmosphere is different as most people are away

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U20i

Yeah and there were army people there too.

Aw you're from Maidenhead? Me too :smile:
Reply 16
The only benefit to campus is the fact that the car park by the Piggery Gate has been resurfaced.
Reply 17
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2064099

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Ah yes, I went to visit RH to sort out some things for September, and someone said that a lot of armymen were walking around with machine guns, huilding trenches, etc... I didn't see any around the main lecture theatre, the union, or around the geog dept. I assume whatever is being done is only being done around the accommodation.

Some metal fencing was surrounding the green and tennis court that people use as a car park, but it looked temporary. It could quickly be removed. I didn't see anything else apart from a couple of diggers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending