The Student Room Group

The Super Duper UK Public Transport Question Thread

Hi

I'm looking at the best way to get from Darlington to Livepool airport for a 12.45pm flight departure in July. Would I be best to get to Liverpool South Parkway train station and then get the Airlink bus to the airport? I'm on a student budget so I'm looking for the cheapest way possible.

Scroll to see replies

Hi travel-loving TSRians

Quite often question threads appear about simple travel trajectories in the UK. This thread is for all questions about bus, train, air, sea and taxi journeys concerning "getting from A to B" (and C, D and so on), regarding how to actually get there, price, efficiency and comfort.

Questions about international journeys are also welcome, however you are free to make your own thread regarding them. Please use the search function beforehand to see if your question has been answered: any more threads on "cheap flights to New York" will not be appreciated.

Sample question and answers:

User 1: How can you get from London to Brighton quickly?

User 2: The quickest way from Central London is by getting the hourly Southern service from Victoria. It takes under an hour.

User 3: Well if you're closer to the north of central London, you can also get a train from St Pancras that only take 20 minutes longer than the one from Victoria!

User 1: Thanks guys!

All future threads asking similar questions will be merged here. :top:
(edited 12 years ago)
I need to go Nottingham from London (preferable Heathrow or nearby) on the morning of the 3rd of July and return on the morning of the 8th of July.

Does anyone know the cheapest train company? National rail are quoting me about 80 Pounds :/ Which is surely overpriced?
Reply 3
Try Raileasy. it sounds like you're trying to travel at peak times, can you change to offpeak?

That being said, tickets are not going to be cheap less than a month in advance.
Original post by Ohlavelle
Try Raileasy. it sounds like you're trying to travel at peak times, can you change to offpeak?

That being said, tickets are not going to be cheap less than a month in advance.

Can't change times cos Im gonna have to arrive at nottingham station to be picked up by university students (for the sutton trust summer school)
Reply 5
check thetrainline.com sometimes buying 2 advance specific train singles is cheaper than getting a return
Never use rail easy or the train line. Use a train operators website (any of them) - they have the exact same tickets but without service charges (and sometimes special cheaper fares).

For the people saying go off-peak, those dates are weekends so all day is off peak.

It purely depends on the EXACT times you will be arriving/leaving each place. I found tickets from St. Pancreas (get the tube from heathrow to there - make sure you buy an oyster card) for £42 return if you leave London at 9am and leave Nottingham at 8.30am.

EDIT: I'm not so sure on the merits of this thread. I was going to post earlier but it was empty so I decided not to, but the only reason I helped in this case was because I recognised the mode of transport and 2 destinations required by the person before I clicked. If this was merged into this thread before I had seen it, I doubt I would have responded.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by callum9999
Never use rail easy or the train line. Use a train operators website (any of them) - they have the exact same tickets but without service charges (and sometimes special cheaper fares).

For the people saying go off-peak, those dates are weekends so all day is off peak.

It purely depends on the EXACT times you will be arriving/leaving each place. I found tickets from St. Pancreas (get the tube from heathrow to there - make sure you buy an oyster card) for £42 return if you leave London at 9am and leave Nottingham at 8.30am.

EDIT: I'm not so sure on the merits of this thread. I was going to post earlier but it was empty so I decided not to, but the only reason I helped in this case was because I recognised the mode of transport and 2 destinations required by the person before I clicked. If this was merged into this thread before I had seen it, I doubt I would have responded.

Thanks a lot mate. I will check that now..
yeah the train station is good for the airport, i don't think there's any other way really
Hi,
Im currently looking at the university of Warick and would like to go to the open day on 24th of september, problem is I have no car and my parents are away then on holiday so I won't be able to get up by car.
Does anyone know how to get from Cardiff to Warwck by Coach or Train??
Times? Cost?...etc?

Thanks.
Reply 10
Hey!
I've just purchased a coach ticket from National Express which stops off in Manchester before going to Liverpool as I have to change coaches. Basically, I no longer want to go to Liverpool and want to stay in Manchester for a few days and instead my friend is going to drive us to Liverpool.
Amending my ticket from National Express costs £5 and to cancel the ticket I will receive no refund.

Am I able to just use the coach ticket to get to Manchester and have my friend pick me up from the coach station or will I not be allowed to leave the coach station or IF I succeed will they call my emergency number that I provided when booking to find out where I have gone?
Hello,

could someone please use this website and tell me when the last bus to Lowestoft is from Norwich today?

Thanks!

http://www.firstgroup.com/
????
Reply 13
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 16-25 rail card, as I am moving to London on the 10th July.

I will be travelling back to Manchester on the weekends, and was wondering how/where is the best way for me to order train tickets?

If I do them in advance, do they work out much cheaper? If so, how far in advance should I book them?

Any tips would be great, as I haven't used trains much.
Original post by laurenheartry
Hi,
Does anyone know how to get from Cardiff to Warwck by Coach or Train??
Times? Cost?...etc?
Thanks.

The closest station to Warwick University is Coventry, I have just checked their website and they are advising to get a bus from there as follows:

"Visitors should follow the signs from the station to Warwick Road (a 2 minute walk) and from there catch the Travel Coventry services 12/12A or U1 which travel onto the main campus. The Stagecoach service U1 travels along Warwick Road and onto the Central Campus."

You can get train tickets from £17.50 per direction - so £35.00 for a return journey. These are fixed tickets tickets and you will need to stick to times booked. As yet they have not been released for 24th September but should be available shortly if you want to keep checking prices. If you do decide to go to Warwick Uni it may be worth investing in a 16-25 railcard. They are £28.00 a year and can discount your rail costs by up to 1/3.

There is also the option of Megabus to Birmingham and train to Coventry from there. This will work out cheaper but may work out a little longer winded due to coach and journey times.
Original post by MrBez

Original post by MrBez
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 16-25 rail card, as I am moving to London on the 10th July.

I will be travelling back to Manchester on the weekends, and was wondering how/where is the best way for me to order train tickets?

If I do them in advance, do they work out much cheaper? If so, how far in advance should I book them?

Any tips would be great, as I haven't used trains much.

Advance train tickets are released up to 12 weeks before travel and they can work out a lot cheaper if you can fix your dates and times. The railcard that you have is already a good way to start, you can get 1/3 off rail fares using that. You can order your tickets on various websites, takethetrain.co.uk or the train operator direct do not charge booking fees so you can save a little here. If you cant fix your times travel off peak where possible, this is the cheaper flexible ticket and does cover weekend travel.
Reply 16
Original post by Ferdinandfrog
Advance train tickets are released up to 12 weeks before travel and they can work out a lot cheaper if you can fix your dates and times. The railcard that you have is already a good way to start, you can get 1/3 off rail fares using that. You can order your tickets on various websites, takethetrain.co.uk or the train operator direct do not charge booking fees so you can save a little here. If you cant fix your times travel off peak where possible, this is the cheaper flexible ticket and does cover weekend travel.

Thanks, I have just booked two Singles, London>Manc and back two days later for £40. Hopefully this is a good deal as I will be making this journey 3 times per month.
Original post by MrBez
Thanks, I have just booked two Singles, London>Manc and back two days later for £40. Hopefully this is a good deal as I will be making this journey 3 times per month.

£40.00 is quite reasonable for a return, if you take into account the fact that the flexible ticket is £46.20. There are even cheaper fares available if you book further in advance but of course this would mean you having to stick to the dates. For example, I had a look at the beginning of September and got a price of £27.75, 3 times a month would mean a saving of £36.75.

02/09/2011 EUS 1120 ? MAN 1328 No Changes ADVANCE
05/09/2011 MAN 1055 ? EUS 1303 No Changes ADVANCE

Its just a case of looking for the best deals :biggrin:
Reply 18
Thanks for your help man
Original post by MrBez
Thanks for your help man

Anytime, that's what I'm here for :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest