The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nope
Original post by henrysickle
Is it four years only?

Cuz if that's the case I'm well and truly screwed. I'm in my second year at university, and I've never really enjoyed my course. I passed the first year no problem, but due to various health reasons (of the mental variety) I've well and truly messed up my second year. I've been advised to start university afresh with a different course... but if Student Loans only cover me for four years, then I dunno what to do. I think the first year it would cost me the £3,000 for uni, but the next two are gonna be £9,000, and then I'd need maintenance loans as well. So even if I were to pay for the first year... there's no frigging way I could afford that.

I'm on a three year course at the moment, and I'd be restarting university on another three year course.

Anyone got any ideas what I could do?

1) If you started uni this September you'd pay the old fees throughout your course. Otherwise its the new fees.

2) You can get full funding for a new course if you provide evidence that you had to leave for health reasons, so a doctors or psychiatrists note. Ordinarily you would only have your tuition fee funded for the latter 2 years of a 3 year course should you start again so you'd have to pay the fees for first year yourself. However as you have compelling personal reasons providing you give evidence of this you should be fully funded for a new degree.
Reply 42
Original post by jelly1000
1) If you started uni this September you'd pay the old fees throughout your course. Otherwise its the new fees.

2) You can get full funding for a new course if you provide evidence that you had to leave for health reasons, so a doctors or psychiatrists note. Ordinarily you would only have your tuition fee funded for the latter 2 years of a 3 year course should you start again so you'd have to pay the fees for first year yourself. However as you have compelling personal reasons providing you give evidence of this you should be fully funded for a new degree.

This is correct. If you want to get funding for the whole of your new degree course you'll need to apply to student finance in the normal way, but they'll ask you for proof of extenuating circumstances - a doctors note and a cover letter from you explaining the situation may well be enough for them to remove the prior study from your record.
Reply 43
Hi All,

Basically need a bit of info and guessing this may have experienced users that know what the answer is.....soo..

I started a 3 year undergraduate degree in 2010 and dropped out first year, im now restarting a different course at a different uni on a now 4 year course...How many years will i be funded? and of those years what funding will i receieve...i.e a little list like so would be much appreciated:

year 1 - .(maintenance grant (MG), maintenance loan (ML) and tuition fees(TF))
year 2 - and so on..

Thansk in advance!
Reply 44
You should get full funding as you are allowed one year as a false start.

The formula = length of new course + 1 year - years previous study

This might depend on what your 4 year course is, but as long as it's undergraduate study you should get it.

As for what you'll receive, it will depend on your household income. Taking into account the income thresholds you will be eligible to apply for maintenance loan, grant and tuition fee loan for all years.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Shani
You should get full funding as you are allowed one year as a false start.

The formula = length of new course + 1 year - years previous study

This might depend on what your 4 year course is, but as long as it's undergraduate study you should get it.

As for what you'll receive, it will depend on your household income. Taking into account the income thresholds you will be eligible to apply for maintenance loan, grant and tuition fee loan for all years.

Thanks A lot i was hoping you would say this!....i get full funding according to household income etc, i was just being cautious as i dont know if cicrcumstance changes due to my course being longer!...Thanks!
Reply 46
Well, if your new course would be fully funded had you not had the 1 year previous study (ie combined masters?) then you should get full funding :smile:
Reply 47
I went staight into Year 3 at university and unfortunatlely failed that, I wasn't able to do my resits - for reasons discussed but I was wondering -

Do you think I could re-sit the year or something?

Would I get funding again for the year?

Anyone had the same problem, any help would be appreciated?

Rach :smile:
Reply 48
Ok, guys I some help with my situation...OK so I started at university doing a foundation year which wasn't the full fee amount as a normal a degree program it was like £1200 or something. However I failed due to my grandad passing away and having to attend to family duties because of this, which was during my may exam period. I wasn't able to pass the year due to this. I told the university why I failed and they allowed me to retake the year but only the modules that I failed. I passed the foundation and successfully went on to my degree program in which I am in my final year. I didn't have any knowledge of the university only funding 4 years. My degree is a 3 year course as I did not do a placement year. So I did foundation for 2 years and now on my degree in final year. Up until now i was receiving my full tuition fee, full maintenance loan and grant, however now they are saying last minute that they will not be paying the tuition fee's. What can I do? The only thing i can think of is asking them if i can pay one of the foundation year off in full and receiving the tution fee for my final year?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Hi guys, hope you can help!

I am finally on the road I want to be on after 'colourful' earlier years.
I am worried about whether I'm going to get the funding I need for my 2nd & 3rd years at uni??? I'll make things more clearer...

HND Business (failed 1st year in 2005-06, got FULL support, Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan & Maintenance Grant from Student Loans Company/SLC)
Foundation Degree Business (dropped out during 1st year in 2006-07, again got FULL support from SLC)

So there's 2 years of FULL SUPPORT wasted! Now I am studying:

Foundation Degree Renewable Energy (passed year 1 part time in 2010-11, part time help from SLC in the form of a Fee Grant & Course Grant, no Loans.

Year 2, 2011-12 (it is just starting so applying again for a Fee Grant & Course Grant, no loans).
3rd year, 2012-13 topping it up to a full time full bachelors degree so will again be applying for FULL SUPPORT

So in total I'll have had 3 years FULL SUPPORT & 2 years just GRANTS (5 years help).

I think i will be ok for funding for 2011-12 but I'm more concerned about next year, 2012-13 once I go back full time.

Please help, I will be very grateful!
Reply 50
Your entitlement is 3 years plus 1 minus any previous support
In your case this appears to be 3 + 1 - 2 = 2
You will have to pay for the first year yourself.
Reply 51
Thanks!

I don't fully understand, sorry. Its confusing because mine is split into part time and full time study. So duno if it makes a difference?

So, Full time support/loans for 3 years.
(2005-06, 06-07 & 2012-13)

Part time support for 2 years.
(2010-11 and 11-12. I could only get a Fee Grant and a Course Grant, which obv don't have to be paid back).

Lets just focus on 2012-13, which is just 1 more year. Will i get it funded?

Sorry about this, cheers
Reply 52
Its ok i'll ring slc tomorrow
Original post by denislaw
Your entitlement is 3 years plus 1 minus any previous support
In your case this appears to be 3 + 1 - 2 = 2
You will have to pay for the first year yourself.

For those of us who don't have £9000 sitting around, are there any other options?

I.e Loans from places other than the Student Loans Company.
I am doing a PGCE and may have to stop due to a medical condition.
Hopefully after an op I will be ok to return next year...

Can I get funding again for a PGCE next year?

Thanks in advance to any help offered.
Reply 55
Original post by Hannah.pink
I am doing a PGCE and may have to stop due to a medical condition.
Hopefully after an op I will be ok to return next year...

Can I get funding again for a PGCE next year?

Thanks in advance to any help offered.

I believe PGCEs are one of the exception courses in that you would get funding, but I'm afraid I don't know exactly what the rules are, perhaps someone who knows more about PGCEs can confirm this.
Reply 56
Hello

I failed a one year PGCE course I was on becuase of my lack of placement, reapplied for student loan and maintenance loan to do it again, my father was diagnosised with cancer so I left. I took out the maintenance loan and grant again. I also have a degree, if I were to go back and redo my pgce in the future part time 2yrs mind, because of family commitments would I be entitled to a maintenance loan and grant or not? Would I have to show evidence for mitigauting circumstances?

Any help appreciated. thankyou
Original post by shukar
Hello

I failed a one year PGCE course I was on becuase of my lack of placement, reapplied for student loan and maintenance loan to do it again, my father was diagnosised with cancer so I left. I took out the maintenance loan and grant again. I also have a degree, if I were to go back and redo my pgce in the future part time 2yrs mind, because of family commitments would I be entitled to a maintenance loan and grant or not? Would I have to show evidence for mitigauting circumstances?

Any help appreciated. thankyou

As a PGCE is classed as an exception course, if you have withdrawn from the previous one you should still be entitled to full support provided you didn't get the qualification and don't hold QTS (which you may have to provide proof of - i.e a letter from the university).

However, you've said you want to study part-time so the rules would be different - PT study that did not lead to a qualification is disregarded on a FT app, and vice versa for part-time. So the failed PGCE years wouldn't even be counted.

If you take it part time you'd be entitled to a non means-tested tuition fee loan to pay your fees of up to £6750 - but there's no maintenance support available for PT courses starting 2012 onwards to reflect the fact PT students can now receive the fee loan. Hope that helps!
(edited 12 years ago)
Im in a similar position and need some advice.

In 2004 i started a HND and completed the 1st year and enrolled on the 2nd but didnt finish it due to ill health. Anyway ive applied again for uni for a 2 year course. I know that im not entitled to a loan for the first year does anyone know about the 2nd. Will i get help with that one?

Thank you
Reply 59
Original post by Frecklesgirl
Im in a similar position and need some advice.

In 2004 i started a HND and completed the 1st year and enrolled on the 2nd but didnt finish it due to ill health. Anyway ive applied again for uni for a 2 year course. I know that im not entitled to a loan for the first year does anyone know about the 2nd. Will i get help with that one?

Thank you

Yes, using the formula you would have:

New course length (2) + 1 year - previous study (2) = 1 year funding

Latest

Trending

Trending