The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Original post by TaraBelle
I know it's ridiculously close :eek: yep it sounds pretty perfect, looking forward to checking it out! oh sounds good- how did it go? :smile: haha course that's okay! :tongue: I've accepted it :biggrin:

Yeahyyyy thanks :biggrin: Done my stats test today! Thought it went well x) I now I have my biology evaluative task (second time) next next week which I am not particularly looking forward hmm :s-smilie: the head of biology won't let me do my qual or quant task again just because I've got 9 in both already even though I still have one more try at each of tasks! :angry: not saying for definite but I could have got 10 for those :mad:... have you done all of your coursework then? :colondollar:
Which unis are everyone thinking of? I was thinking Oxford, Newcastle, Sheffield and Imperial but I've been told my GCSEs are no way near good enough to apply for medicine at Oxford as I only have 5A* and I went to a school that has an average of 35% A*s which means they aren't really high enough above average so I am think of Nottingham instead at the moment.

Got AAAB in my first modules and also have full marks on my Chem ISA. My B was in Physics and am not expecting any better than a B for my overall AS score as I only got 86/120 :frown: and there is no way I want to retake, especially as I'm dropping it next year and Newcastle and Sheffield don't accept retakes.
A-Levels absolutely draining me of energy -.-
Original post by Pride
the one 'for young people' on broken bones I think...? what about you?

Yeah I'm going to the same one. Might see you there (not that I know what you look like of course lol)
Original post by AtomicMan

You're not alone. I feel so unmotivated these days especially after the Jan exams, even though I did pretty well.

Starting to stress out about PS and preparing for Bmat/Ukcat :/
:
Original post by Orinincandenza
It's to Charles University in Prague, there's a bit about this on the wiki.

I wouldn't say this is exactly a scam, but not far off either, at the least extremely irresponsible.

thanks for the answer and what do you mean a scam and is it a good uni and at the medsim wud we have to sit the application test?:colondollar:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
:ditto:

References should be your teacher/referee helping your application by saying good things about you. There should be no negatives in your application.

If your referee wants to portray you as a lazy student that doesn't turn up then I suggest that you find a new referee..

I actually went and had a word with him today and he says it isnt really mentioned, so its all cool :smile:
Is there anyone here who resat year 12?
Original post by AtomicMan

I feel exactly the same. I have absolutely no motivation to do any work whatsoever :/
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
I feel exactly the same. I have absolutely no motivation to do any work whatsoever :/

Same, doesnt help that I have chemistry, biology and physics tests very soon, which they will use as ammunition if I fail.

Urgh, I got 4A's in the bloody january exams, now leave me the hell alone and annoy the people in my year who get E's and U's

/rant
Will a week work experience in a Nursery I did when I was in Year 10 be worth mentioning at all? Or is it a bit too.. in the past to have any relevence? I can still reflect on it if thats any help :laugh:
Reply 1611
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
Yeah I'm going to the same one. Might see you there (not that I know what you look like of course lol)

might, but that's the thing, there's bound to be many of us there, and you won't be able to tell unless you ask everyone individually, 'hey are you pride from TSR? no? hey are you pride? no? you? you?' and keep going until you find me.

maybe nearer the time I'll decide on a particularly interesting piece of clothing you can use to spot me and some of my mates out lol
Original post by chiny94
Yeahyyyy thanks :biggrin: Done my stats test today! Thought it went well x) I now I have my biology evaluative task (second time) next next week which I am not particularly looking forward hmm :s-smilie: the head of biology won't let me do my qual or quant task again just because I've got 9 in both already even though I still have one more try at each of tasks! :angry: not saying for definite but I could have got 10 for those :mad:... have you done all of your coursework then? :colondollar:

Ah really? Isn't it quite hard to do an evaluative if you haven't done the practical for it? :s-smilie: And at my school we HAVE to do all three tasks twice, no matter how we did on the first ones! But they also don't tell us how we did, at all, apart from like a hint eg 'you might want to try a bit harder on the qualitative next time' or something :frown: I have finished all of them yeah- did the last biology one on wednesday :'D Only have the big chemistry empa (written) to do now..

we were supposed to have a talk from an oxford admissions tutor today, but she went to the wrong school so we never got one :tongue:
Original post by mento_addict
Which unis are everyone thinking of? I was thinking Oxford, Newcastle, Sheffield and Imperial but I've been told my GCSEs are no way near good enough to apply for medicine at Oxford as I only have 5A* and I went to a school that has an average of 35% A*s which means they aren't really high enough above average so I am think of Nottingham instead at the moment.

I think I want to apply to Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds (If I manage to average out 90+ UMS then i'm going to give Cambridge a shot, I don't have the best GCSE's either (Only 4A* and 8 A) but I know if I don't try i'll forever regret it).

I hope i'm not aiming too high with those university choices though... Going to have more of a snoop around to make sure I apply wisely :smile:
Original post by ameelia22
Dude, I have the exact same grades as you - relax.

Woop, :hi:
Sheffield, Newcastle (my 2 ukcat lovers) St Georges, Liverpool, Manchester, and possibly need to reconsider HYMS and BSMS

:jumphug: So many of my friends are in a similar position. I go to a grammar school and the majority of my pals got E's or U's for physics.
Chemistry, from what I understand people did far worse in this subject, then they had anticipated, but do not worry - the potential of an A is quite clearly there, particularly as the paper was so hard!
Biology - hm, I never understood what peoples problems were, with Biology as they seemed relatively simple concepts but I have since realised that it's the questions and exam papers which are so off-the-radar it's impossible to illustrate your knowledge. Perhaps think of how you could approach Biology in a different way?
Maths - hm, I'm a bit of a math-whore now, but honestly repeating papers all the way - even repeating ones you've already done to make sure you've learnt from your mistakes is my best advice. Math is the subject where you can never have revised enough.

Physics is, IMHO, the hardest most ridiculous A-level going - why did you take it?

And also please remember that it's not the grades that actually count in these modules, it's the UMS! What you lose for in UMS in one module, you can make up for in another! It's not bang B, bang D therefore you get a C. It's calculated UMS!

If you continue to struggle, have you considered a tutor? There's a reason why all the rich kids are 'clever' - they've got the money to throw at it. If there's anything which is completely shocking you, in terms of not correlating with the amount of time and effort you put in, get them remarked. There have been loads of experiences on TSR where people have thought there's been a **** up with the marking, and it turns out there had because some pages we're forgotten or something. Just a suggestion.

I know, believe me i know it feels like the end of the world right now, but it's only going to get better. Soldier on.

Hi, I know this is an old post, but just looking through I noticed a few people have said things like this. It might be worth noting that Sheffield changed their admissions policy this year. They considered all applicants with an above average UKCAT (625), and we aren't quite sure where they moved the emphasis to... but probably PS. Can't say how they'll do it next year, but they have changed.
Last year i think it was 717.5 or above for an interview. This year I have managed an offer with 632.5. So potentially Sheffield might be moving out of the UKCAT loving category.
Reply 1615
Not been on TSR in ages, since Jan exams!

How is everyone?
Reply 1616
Original post by mento_addict

Got AAAB in my first modules and also have full marks on my Chem ISA. My B was in Physics and am not expecting any better than a B for my overall AS score as I only got 86/120 :frown: and there is no way I want to retake, especially as I'm dropping it next year and Newcastle and Sheffield don't accept retakes.

Newcastle and Sheffield don't accept resits at all? Not even within 2 years? Well I didn't know that!

I'm definitely thinking Cambridge, not sure which college yet - I have a few in mind but it all depends on how my UMS scores turn out after the summer, I would love to get into Trinity or Emma though. :moon:

Also I like the look of Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, UCL, Imperial, Bristol. I'm going to apply to 2 BMAT unis maximum, and then UKCAT-heavy ones depending on how well that goes in the summer :smile:.
Reply 1617
Original post by Aeger
Newcastle and Sheffield don't accept resits at all? Not even within 2 years? Well I didn't know that!

I'm definitely thinking Cambridge, not sure which college yet - I have a few in mind but it all depends on how my UMS scores turn out after the summer, I would love to get into Trinity or Emma though. :moon:

Also I like the look of Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester, UCL, Imperial, Bristol. I'm going to apply to 2 BMAT unis maximum, and then UKCAT-heavy ones depending on how well that goes in the summer :smile:.

Er... Yes they do... UCL is the only university which disadvantages applicants who have resat AS/A level modules within 2 years.
Original post by Aeger

Well Sheffield say they don't accept A2 resits so you can probably retake within the 2 years but I go by if they state something like that they obviously wouldn't look kindly on resits in general. And Newcastle say that they don't look at resit results at all for medicine, it only says this in their prospectus for 2013 entry, doesn't specify anything on the website, so since Newcastle is my current 1st choice, no retakes for me!!

I'm also the same with 2 BMAT unis maximum, will probably end up with only Imperial for BMAT :smile:
Original post by Vulpes
Er... Yes they do... UCL is the only university which disadvantages applicants who have resat AS/A level modules within 2 years.

Don't forget Nottingham :P Well I'm pretty sure Nottingham look at resits...

Latest

Trending

Trending