The Student Room Group

Orthoptics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
from liverpool i got an offer at the start of november and sheffield i got one just before christmas but it was about 2 weeks after the open day :smile: and i think i sent my application off in mid october just after the medicine deadline
hi, thanks for your reply. i got an offer too :smile:
Reply 42
Well done :smile: which one are you leaning towards if you dont mind me asking ??
well i only applied to liverpool becuse that was the only place i wanted to apply to. what about you?:smile:
Hey my names Kim, I've got an offer from Sheffield, which is where I want to go, also applied to Liverpool...also I'm going on the open day on the 25th, anyone else going? Also, in case anyone has any Optom questions I studied Optom for a year at Cardiff...Very different from Orthoptics I promise (not to mention it costs a lot more...:/). Anybody sorted out anything like housing yet? Know it's really early...just wondering what everyone's planning on doing?
Original post by kimingerose
Hey my names Kim, I've got an offer from Sheffield, which is where I want to go, also applied to Liverpool...also I'm going on the open day on the 25th, anyone else going? Also, in case anyone has any Optom questions I studied Optom for a year at Cardiff...Very different from Orthoptics I promise (not to mention it costs a lot more...:/). Anybody sorted out anything like housing yet? Know it's really early...just wondering what everyone's planning on doing?

Hey, it's nice to hear you studied Optom. Just wanted to ask in terms of course content, is Optom more physicsy and mathsy or is it more biology based? Thanks.
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Hey, it's nice to hear you studied Optom. Just wanted to ask in terms of course content, is Optom more physicsy and mathsy or is it more biology based? Thanks.

Yea theres a lot of physics and maths in optom, and I'm expecting the same in Orthoptics, but so long as you're reasonably good at it, and keep up with the lectures it's not so difficult:biggrin:
hope that helps
Hi everyone :smile: I'm Jenny and I'm only new to this forum but I would greatly appreciate any input.

After much research, I definitely know that I want to study Orthoptic's at Liverpool University (i'm not going to lie, foundintransmission's posts have been a big influence in this! It helps that i'm from Liverpool too) but i'm having big problems getting started on my personal statement (i'm applying for deferred entry to the course in 2013).

I already have a degree in Psychology and Biology but I wrote the personal statement for this yeeeeears and yeeeears ago so I think that's why I'm struggling. I've organised some Orthoptic's shadowing which I will be doing soon which I think will help with the PS but i'm having real trouble starting it.

How have other people started off their personal statements? Does anyone who has managed to get onto the course have a winning formula for how it should be structured/what should be included? In my previous jobs, I've had a lot of experience working with the public and I currently work for social services dealing with all sorts of weird, wonderful and sometimes heartbreaking situations but I just don't know what to include in a PS and what to leave out. Added to this is the fact I don't have a tutor to advise me on any of this.

As I said before, any help would be appreciated :smile:

Thanks in advance! x
Original post by kimingerose

Hi Kim

Well done for getting an offer :smile: I was wondering whether you could give me any pointers on what you put in your personal statement? As I said in my post, I'm really really struggling!!!

Thanks x
Reply 49
hi guys :smile: I was looking at student finance and tbh it really confused me, does anyone know what we have to do about the nhs bursary?? because i thought they sent us something through the post but i haven't had anything and i was starting to get a little worried because of deadlines, just in case anyone cares i accepted both of my offers with liverpool as firm :')

help me im stressing :/
Reply 50
Hello :smile: Ive also accepted both of my offers for orthoptics with Sheffeild as my firm and was just wondering what everyones offer was and how flexible they are with entry requirements? As im stressing about making the entry enquirments :/
Reply 51
Hey there :smile:
Hoping to get into liverpool for this course in september and was wondering how many weeks it is as I am applying for accommodation and need to know what contract lengths I'm looking at?
Also which accommodations would you recommend? Please get back to me , much appreciated :smile: :smile:

AZK
Reply 52
Hello,
Has anyone else received an email regarding occupational health clearance?
I'm confused as I haven't received any other emails about it?
Reply 53
Original post by BeckyLM94
Hello,
Has anyone else received an email regarding occupational health clearance?
I'm confused as I haven't received any other emails about it?

Yehh i got that email too!
Im gna ring and ask what it is..
Really confused..
Hi everyone

Does anyone have an orthoptics personal statement that they wouldn't mind sending me please? I'm really struggling with my application as it's been so long since I've had to write one and my UCAS application has to be in by 30th June. I'll be so grateful if anyone can help!!

I've just finished my AS levels and i'm going to apply for orthoptics at liverpool, Sheffeild and Glasgow so i'll have to start writing my personal statement
I've been looking for an example of an orthoptic's personal statement but i can't find out anywhere on the internet
can someone please help me?
Reply 56
Hi Guys,

I have just finished my Orthoptic degree at Sheffield and am happy to ask any questions if anybody has any. It is a fantastic degree and city and I loved every second of it! xxx
Original post by Hasi.ali
Yehh i got that email too!
Im gna ring and ask what it is..
Really confused..

Me 2 O.o
What they tryna say!? Haha
Reply 58
Original post by Vswilson
Hi Guys,

I have just finished my Orthoptic degree at Sheffield and am happy to ask any questions if anybody has any. It is a fantastic degree and city and I loved every second of it! xxx

Any recommendations on accommodation? :smile:
Reply 59
In my first year I stayed in Endcliffe student village, It's really nice and new however it is quite expensive (was £103 a week i think in 2009/10). You get a single bed, wardrobe desk and en-suite and you r usually in flats of 6 or 8 people. I really liked it there. it is about a 20 minute walk to uni and a 30 min walk to town.

Alternative options are Ranmoor student village which is the same quality and price but is a tiny bit further from university. There are cheaper options too such as Stephenson place but I don't know what that is like. If you want to go catered then that's the one for you.

I would recommend going self catered because in first year the timetable for orthoptics is pretty heavy and if you are going at night then you are likely to miss breakfast and then dinner falls at the same time as sports practices.

Sheffield accommodation is great though and has been voted best in the country for 2012. You will love it here :smile:

xx

Quick Reply

Latest