The Student Room Group

Suggestions for pens in exams?

Hi guys.
So I am in search of pens that shall aid my writing in the upcoming exams. Especially for the English Exam where I must write two essays in the space of 2.5hours, including the analysis of three unseen texts, hence I must write with speed but also my writing ought to be legible.
Perhaps it's the way I hold the pen I'm not sure but I can't sustain writing with presentational fluency and get blisters on my hands very easily. For sciences even I can't take much notes and am forced to read since my hand starts aching very easily.
So if you guys have any suggestion, let me know :smile:
The only pens that I could write well with were during GCSEs these small and thick biros with a rubber grip but I can't recall the make and haven't seen them around either. So something similar perhaps?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Papermate Flexgrip Elite.
Maybe something like this? Ignore the football theme. Search "biro grip" on Amazon and there are a couple of possibilities.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OFFICIAL-LIVERPOOL-FC-METAL-SCHOOL/dp/B004L488DC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1336378337&sr=8-11

I guess you just have to try a few things and see what you like. Personally I can only write with an ink pen, but that's just because I grew up with it. Whatever you choose, practise with it for a bit up until your exam and you should be ok :smile:
Parker jotter pens are good! They cost around £7 but they last for about half a year and are refillable.
Reply 4
LOL at OP.

A pen is a bloody pen. Use what you usually write with. Just don't use a pencil.
Reply 5
Original post by yothi5
LOL at OP.

A pen is a bloody pen. Use what you usually write with. Just don't use a pencil.

Sir, you do not truly appreciate stationery.
BIC pens :smile:
Reply 7
A Barclays pen!
Reply 8
Bic pens are the best pens to have!
Reply 9
Fluid, Consistent and Quick Drying.
eyemicro.gif
Reply 10
Aah I swear by fountain pens! It keeps my writing neat and you don't have to exert much pressure (on most types of paper) :smile:
Berol Handwriting pens.

Admittedly they are aimed towards six-year-olds who are learning to write, but they are really good pens :smile:
Any kind you like (my personal favourites are the uniball jet stream ones :tongue:) - just make sure you have plenty of spares :biggrin:
Reply 14
I think Staedtler biro's are best for English, the ink is really dark and yet doesn't come out too thickly.

WARNING: avoid Papermate pens at ALL costs, I brought three last year and they all decided to run out during my Economics exam :erm:
Reply 15
I find Bic biros really good, particularly the 'fine' ones. I gave up on fountain pens a few years ago, they always broke on me! (and changing the cartridge is annoying) I'm sure there are plenty of biros with rubber grips.
Reply 16
I recently brought this one for my exams: http://www.ryman.co.uk/0825394001/Pilot-Hi-Tec-Point-V10-Grip-Rollerball-07mm/Product . Very comfortable and smooth.

Last year, I brought this biro, which was very good (only found out about it because I'd found a blue one of these in my science class and kept it :colondollar: :biggrin:). I also used my Parker fountain pen but this time I had no black ink cartridges left (normally use blue) and wasn't willing to buy something I probably wouldn't use again and would have loads left over :tongue: .
Reply 17
I have this dilemma but I,for some very curious and odd reason, write a lot more with free pens lol stiff like Lyca mobile pen which i robbed of some indian, who was selling me some international sim.

guys do you this it actually matters??
Reply 18
Buy whatever you want, but do not buy ones that ink can be easily smudged. I regret it after realising half my answers weren't even readable.
Original post by yothi5
LOL at OP.

Completely agree.

Quick Reply

Latest