The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele accommodation 2012!

Just had the Email through to apply for accommodation. Any ideas on where's best to be? Any help or advice from current students would be great, or any ideas on where anyone else is thinking of going,thanks (:

Scroll to see replies

For better 18 19 freshers experience i defiantly recommend Lindsay court (en suit) or possibly Holly Cross (as they both have bigger kitchens for predrinks) as accommodation. Definitely worth the extra cost. As Barnes is for 3rd years, Horthorns is a trek from anywhere and a dump, Horwood and Oaks has most of the mature and international lot and you have to be Ray Mears to live in lindsay halls.
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
You don't get to choose which halls you're put in, you just get a choice of room type. I'm in Horwood which I personally think is the best because it's so close to everything, the blocks are big and sociable and in our block theres a big table in the kitchen (good for pre-drinks). They're the rooms with a sink. The en-suites are apparently really antisocial but that's just what I've heard from several friends. I would choose a room with a sink just because it's not a rip-off but its not the worst rooms either.
Original post by Emmaharvs
You don't get to choose which halls you're put in, you just get a choice of room type. I'm in Horwood which I personally think is the best because it's so close to everything, the blocks are big and sociable and in our block theres a big table in the kitchen (good for pre-drinks). They're the rooms with a sink. The en-suites are apparently really antisocial but that's just what I've heard from several friends. I would choose a room with a sink just because it's not a rip-off but its not the worst rooms either.

There is also a huge difference between blocks in horwood i stayed there for my freshers year it was ****, nobody went out, kitchen was smaller than our own rooms and barely any freshers in the whole block with every1 being a lot older or international. I would end up going to hollycross and lindsay court for pre lashing, defiantly not antisocial always a party going on! Also the en suite at keele uni is cheaper than standard rooms at other uni's, wish id stayed there, i cudnt hate horwood more. Sounds like u got lucky tho.
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies, I didn't know you didn't get a choice of halls, as on the applicant visit day there was the chance to pre-register your interest and you had to specify your choice of halls :/ never mind, it saves having to decide! I was going to choose a room with a sink anyway, just worrying now incase I'm put somewhere with no freshers or no social life!
Reply 5
You do get to choose what block you would like to stay in im sure, As i did that for the pre registration form.

I was looking at staying at Holly Cross but it seems like that is only En Suite only so will probs be packed for applications. So gonna decide on Lindsay hall with a sink as my first probably?
Reply 6
Yeaah I was thinking Lindsay because it was the only one I've seen on the open days and it looked quite decent. I heard horwood is good but not if it's all older students and international. I'd rather be with mostly other freshers
Reply 7
Anyone else having issues getting on the registration page? Seems like it's overloaded.

Aside from that, I'm hoping to get an en suite somewhere.

I had my sight set on Barnes cus I was told it's close to my building (Natural sciences or whatever it's called) but I wasn't told it's for 3rd years. :frown:

Also, quick question, is it 37 weeks that goes on for a whole year? I don't want to have to move out during Xmas/Easter.
Reply 8
Original post by tamimi
Anyone else having issues getting on the registration page? Seems like it's overloaded.

I had my sight set on Barnes cus I was told it's close to my building (Natural sciences or whatever it's called) but I wasn't told it's for 3rd years. :frown:

Also, quick question, is it 37 weeks that goes on for a whole year? I don't want to have to move out during Xmas/Easter.

yes 37 weeks includes the holz
Reply 9
applied as soon as I woke up yesterday so fingers crossed I'll get somewhere good!
first choice: band A with washbasin (:
Reply 10
Oh yeah just a question guys, what's the difference between Band A and band B? =)
Reply 11
Not sure. I'm still trying to understand
Band a is slightly more expensive than band b so it could mean a better room? Just a guess, I'm not really sure :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by EmilyKatherine
Band a is slightly more expensive than band b so it could mean a better room? Just a guess, I'm not really sure :tongue:

Thanks for the info. =). From the other thread what I saw was Band A's are newer blocks as compared to the Band B's. Anyway I'm keen to know how does the place looks like, since I'm an international student *soon to be =P* i don't get the chance to attend one of the open days *Bummer* =(
Reply 14
Same here! I'm international & didn't get a chance to visit Keele
Original post by tamimi

If your taking about the Earth Sciences and Geography Building or the Life Sciences building (geography, geology, environmental science, biology subject) then it's no where near Barnes. You'd be better off in Lindsay or Horwood.
My mom went to Keele.
Reply 17
Original post by greenfly125
If your taking about the Earth Sciences and Geography Building or the Life Sciences building (geography, geology, environmental science, biology subject) then it's no where near Barnes. You'd be better off in Lindsay or Horwood.

I was on about "Lennard-Jones Building" wherever that may be. But weeell I'm not awfully worried anymore to be honest, since the registration page didn't give me a choice in what halls I go into, just the type of accomodation, so I'm just gonna hope for the best...

Thanks anyhow :biggrin:

Any idea when we're gonna hear whether the accommodation we selected is available or not?
Original post by tamimi
I was on about "Lennard-Jones Building" wherever that may be. But weeell I'm not awfully worried anymore to be honest, since the registration page didn't give me a choice in what halls I go into, just the type of accomodation, so I'm just gonna hope for the best...

Thanks anyhow :biggrin:

Any idea when we're gonna hear whether the accommodation we selected is available or not?

Oh okay, yeh that's even further away though to be fair it's still only a 5-10 min walk. Hardly far.

Good luck on results day, Keele is awesome!
Reply 19
Original post by greenfly125
Oh okay, yeh that's even further away though to be fair it's still only a 5-10 min walk. Hardly far.

Good luck on results day, Keele is awesome!

Hey Greenfly, I always see you about the Keele forum. I was hoping you could confirm this: I've heard from many people that in Keele,
a. A lot of students end up sharing rooms at the start of the year. Is that true?
b. The rooms per kitchen ratio is massive. I've heard it's something silly like 20/30 people per kitchen. What's that about?!

Quick Reply

Latest