The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

On-campus or off-campus Accommodation at Bath.??

Hello everyone

I have firmed my place at University of Bath for masters program and i am looking for accommodation.. There are 2 options available: On-campus or off-campus.!!
Which accommodation should i opt for.?:confused: I m fairly social and outgoing guy and love to meet new people and party. So what should be a better option for me.? Any suggestions/comments are welcomed.. Thanks.. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
On campus without a doubt. So much more convenient and pretty much all first years live on campus.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Hey.. Thanks for the reply..I m going for masters program.. And on campus there are only two options available i.e. Polden courts and Woodland.. Would not it be too messy with all the undergrads around , partying everyday n all..?? And I think they must be occupied by now..
Also i got reviews from some that on campus is really boring with limited access only to 2-3 pubs and library. Off campus is more closer to the town and Centrally located.. I am confused between Pulteney and Clevelands.. :O Do you have any idea about these..?? :smile:
Reply 3
I'm currently in Bath uni and will be graduated in June.

I lived on campus the 1st year and it was amazing! You get so know people from your hall so quickly and you party with them all the time .. Literally .. So if you want to focus seriously on your uni work, halls may not be the best idea. You are right saying that there aren't lots of things to do on campus though .. We have one main nightclub and one main bar but the bus service is great if we want to party in town and so many activities are organized on campus.

However, i'm now in final year and living off campus. I worked quite hard and I can say being on an house with friends helped a lot. We were all in the same "revision situation" so could cheer ourselves up haha ! I'm 10min away from the city center and really happy with the house (rent, rooms etc.). Once you have some friends and you know where/when to go out, this option may be better.

Pulteney/Clevelands are quite expensive areas although you might be lucky and find some exceptions. Most of my friends are living in the "Oldfield park area" and I live near Thornbank Place. It's not actually in the center but it's not too far.

Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ma-Rine
I'm currently in Bath uni and will be graduated in June.

I lived on campus the 1st year and it was amazing! You get so know people from your hall so quickly and you party with them all the time .. Literally .. So if you want to focus seriously on your uni work, halls may not be the best idea. You are right saying that there aren't lots of things to do on campus though .. We have one main nightclub and one main bar but the bus service is great if we want to party in town and so many activities are organized on campus.

However, i'm now in final year and living off campus. I worked quite hard and I can say being on an house with friends helped a lot. We were all in the same "revision situation" so could cheer ourselves up haha ! I'm 10min away from the city center and really happy with the house (rent, rooms etc.). Once you have some friends and you know where/when to go out, this option may be better.

Pulteney/Clevelands are quite expensive areas although you might be lucky and find some exceptions. Most of my friends are living in the "Oldfield park area" and I live near Thornbank Place. It's not actually in the center but it's not too far.

Hope it helps :smile:

Hey.. Thanks for the reply.. Yes it definitely helps.. :smile:
There are not many options available on-campus for PG students.. Only Polden court and Woodland.. I have a feeling that they would be massively oversubscribed by now. Plus they are quite expensive also.
I am thinking to go for Pulteney courts.. It suits my budget better and i can always use the saved money for other things.. :wink:
The only concern that bothers me now is the communal bathroom thing.. Hows the scenario like.. how many people share the bathrooms.? Is it manageable or should i go for en suite room.. But that would be expensive.. :/
Reply 5
And where are you putting up right now.? Is it private accommodation or university managed..??
People say that university managed housing is outrageously expensive... is that so.???:confused:
Reply 6
Bath is a very expensive city anyway ..
Don't know about the communal bathroom, I had my own bathroom in the halls :/ . I think it's manageable though .. Don't spend extra money on en-suite room, I don't think it worth it.

My accomodation isn't managed by the uni and I pay £320 per month. We are 4 sharing the house, 2 bathrooms and the rooms are really good.

Up to you to see what you prefer but you should have a look at the private accommodations too. Some people may look for housemates to "complete" the house.
Reply 7
Original post by Ma-Rine
Bath is a very expensive city anyway ..
Don't know about the communal bathroom, I had my own bathroom in the halls :/ . I think it's manageable though .. Don't spend extra money on en-suite room, I don't think it worth it.

My accomodation isn't managed by the uni and I pay £320 per month. We are 4 sharing the house, 2 bathrooms and the rooms are really good.

Up to you to see what you prefer but you should have a look at the private accommodations too. Some people may look for housemates to "complete" the house.

320 pounds inclusive of bills or bills are separate..??
I want to have a look at private accommodations also.. I register at bath studentpad and reviewed some options.. but i dont think its wise to just look at the photographs and finalize the thing.. Is it possible to move out of univ accommodation in between.. like after 2-3 months.. by the time i would be there and search for some good private accommodation.. and probably have made some friends too...
Reply 8
Original post by arpitjain
Hello everyone

I have firmed my place at University of Bath for masters program and i am looking for accommodation.. There are 2 options available: On-campus or off-campus.!!
Which accommodation should i opt for.?:confused: I m fairly social and outgoing guy and love to meet new people and party. So what should be a better option for me.? Any suggestions/comments are welcomed.. Thanks.. :smile:

Hey...i'm from India as well..i have a conditional offer for MSc Finance....i would be applying for off campus accommodation...
Reply 9
Original post by pat91
Hey...i'm from India as well..i have a conditional offer for MSc Finance....i would be applying for off campus accommodation...

Hi pat91.. Where do you put up..?? I am from New Delhi.. And Have u applied for any accommodation yet..?? Where do you plan to apply..?
Reply 10
Hi pat91.. Where do you put up..?? I am from New Delhi.. And Have u applied for any accommodation yet..?? Where do you plan to apply..?

hey..i am from New Delhi too...I'm actually in the middle of my final exam at the moment so I'm probably going to apply after that.....have you decided on your accommodation??..
Reply 11
Original post by pat91
hey..i am from New Delhi too...I'm actually in the middle of my final exam at the moment so I'm probably going to apply after that.....have you decided on your accommodation??..

good to hear that... All the good accommodations for postgrads off campus are full.. they are just booking thornbank and university managed housing. I wanted to go for either Pulteney courts or clevelands, but nothing seems to be available right now..
Even i am confused now..where do u plan to stay..? on-campus or off-campus..??
Reply 12
good to hear that... All the good accommodations for postgrads off campus are full.. they are just booking thornbank and university managed housing. I wanted to go for either Pulteney courts or clevelands, but nothing seems to be available right now..
Even i am confused now..where do u plan to stay..? on-campus or off-campus..??

I'll be applying for private accommodation...where are u planning to apply now??.
Reply 13
Original post by pat91
I'll be applying for private accommodation...where are u planning to apply now??.

Thornbank maybe.. It would be more fun with more people around.. :smile:
I would recommend off-campus if you are on a masters as yes the university pubs and club are limited. It doesn't really matter where you choose in town as the city centre is quite small and you can get everywhere easily on foot.
Reply 15
Original post by alphafalafel
I would recommend off-campus if you are on a masters as yes the university pubs and club are limited. It doesn't really matter where you choose in town as the city centre is quite small and you can get everywhere easily on foot.

Hi alphafalafel.. Thanks for the suggestion.. How are thornbank gardens for postgrads if you have any idea..?? And i have heard that univ accommodation (even off-campus) is quite expensive as compared to private accommodation.. whats your opinion on this..??
Reply 16
hey i was just going through your post ...actually even i have received a conditional offer for msc architectural design ...and even im looking for accommodation ...i did check out some rooms through student pad ...and im not satisfied ...reason being the same ...and even im from new delhi ..and interested in off campus accommodation .. i did register for thornbank gardens though (since that was the only option ) ..
Reply 17
Also are you guys going for the pre-departure briefing on 15th june ??
Reply 18
Original post by san23
hey i was just going through your post ...actually even i have received a conditional offer for msc architectural design ...and even im looking for accommodation ...i did check out some rooms through student pad ...and im not satisfied ...reason being the same ...and even im from new delhi ..and interested in off campus accommodation .. i did register for thornbank gardens though (since that was the only option ) ..

Hey.. Good to know that you are from New Delhi too... Yes I would be going for pre-departure briefing on 15th june.. Hope to see you there... :smile:
And Regarding the accommodation , i have got fairly decent reviews about Thornbank garden from the students already living there.. They say it was the best students accomm dis year.. Very social and party lovers..:colondollar: This encouraged me too apply for thornbanks as well.. :smile::colone:
Reply 19
Haha ..that's good !!! I was a little worried about the accommodation ..coz i had no other option ..and kinda happy to hear about the "very social and party lovers" thing ..so yours is an unconditional or conditional offer ??

Quick Reply

Latest