The Student Room Group

A Level/AS Level choices? Help!

Hey guys,
ive just finished taking my GCSEs..nearly, and need to start thinking of A level options.
Ive got two ideas but I really need help choosing which one to go with.
Please can anyone thinking of doing the same choices, or anyone who does these A levels help me decide.

Geo Maths Eng lit and Computing
OR
Geo Maths Eng lit and Physics

I hopefully want to apply to Oxbridge and was just thinking about soft subjects etc lalala. The thing is, I reallyreallyreally want to learn about computing but I also am such a boss as physics and apparently physics is more well respected. However, at Uni I dont want to do anything engineering or computing, so im worried that if I dont do computing Alevel then i'll never learn programming again, but then im also worried that my subject choices are too soft and if I do physicsc, then it will look very attractive to unis?
Please help mesomeone!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by rockman999
Hey guys,
ive just finished taking my GCSEs..nearly, and need to start thinking of A level options.
Please can anyone thinking of doing the same choices, or anyone who does these A levels help me decide.

OR

I hopefully want to apply to Oxbridge and was just thinking about soft subjects etc lalala. The thing is, I reallyreallyreally want to learn about computing but I also am such a boss as physics and apparently physics is more well respected. However, at Uni I dont want to do anything engineering or computing, so im worried that if I dont do computing Alevel then i'll never learn programming again, but then im also worried that my subject choices are too soft and if I do physicsc, then it will look very attractive to unis?

Why don't you replace English with computing??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Hey Jonny,
cos I want to do Law at Uni possibly or as a career when im older and its like the only 'hard' subject on my list.
Reply 3
Hey Jonny,
cos I want to do Law at Uni possibly or as a career when im older and its like the only 'hard' subject on my list.

I'm pretty sure geography and maths are classed as hard subjects :smile: , I would recommend taking physics then, if you can get a decent grade in it, it looks better than getting an A* in Computing, and it is a lot more reputable :smile:
I'm taking Maths, Physics, Economics and DT, but that's cos I'm interested in engineering :smile:

Reply 4
yeah yeah i get you, im gonna talk to my physics teacher but still.
i just reallywanted to do computing? and im not 100% sure i can with physics.
also when will i ever learn computing again :'(
ah thats cool yeah i wantecd to do economics also! :smile:
Reply 5
yeah yeah i get you, im gonna talk to my physics teacher but still.
i just reallywanted to do computing? and im not 100% sure i can with physics.
also when will i ever learn computing again :'(
ah thats cool yeah i wantecd to do economics also! :smile:

Fair enough, one of my friends was interested in computing, so he arranged to learn it in his free periods and lunch times with his teacher :smile:

Reply 6
I will be doing Law (with french law) at uni from September. Have you considered History instead of Geography? The skills developed are much more closely linked to Law... Anyway certainly keep Maths and Eng lit (they're both considered 'strong' - esp Maths). But for physics/computing I honestly don't think it really matters. Choose the one you're going to get the best grade in (that's all unis for Law care about as long as it's a decent subject). I guess however when you narrow it down to 3 for A2 oxbridge would prefer to see physics instead of computing but if you're thinking of dropping it anyway, then for AS it really doesn't matter.
Reply 7
Original post by Jonnymacca
Fair enough, one of my friends was interested in computing, so he arranged to learn it in his free periods and lunch times with his teacher :smile:

thanks mate alright might do
Reply 8
Original post by L-C
I will be doing Law (with french law) at uni from September. Have you considered History instead of Geography? The skills developed are much more closely linked to Law... Anyway certainly keep Maths and Eng lit (they're both considered 'strong' - esp Maths). But for physics/computing I honestly don't think it really matters. Choose the one you're going to get the best grade in (that's all unis for Law care about as long as it's a decent subject). I guess however when you narrow it down to 3 for A2 oxbridge would prefer to see physics instead of computing but if you're thinking of dropping it anyway, then for AS it really doesn't matter.

Yeah thanks so much, i think i'm going to drop either of them (whichever i do), for A level. but then i like think - i'll never do computing again. however, I think i should do physics because that will look better as an AS level? argh im still really undecided and scared!! Also i can't do history, thanks but cos I dropped it for GCSE i think it will be waaaaaay too hard!
Reply 9
Yeah thanks so much, i think i'm going to drop either of them (whichever i do), for A level. but then i like think - i'll never do computing again. however, I think i should do physics because that will look better as an AS level? argh im still really undecided and scared!! Also i can't do history, thanks but cos I dropped it for GCSE i think it will be waaaaaay too hard!

Okay :smile: your welcome :smile:

Reply 10
Hey guys,

OR

I have taken maths, physics, chemistry, geography As (last year) and computing As....so here's my advice....
Take physics, its a lot easy to self teach yourself some programming...also the language you learn at A level isn't the most useful language ( basic rather than something useful like a version of C or Java )
Also physics is a lot more respected.
Maths helps with physics so they should compliment each other :smile:
The maths in computing isn't at all complicated.

You could always do what I did and in your second year take up computing As ( or physics up to you :P) and three other A2s

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 11

Just because you didn't take it at GCSE doesn't mean you can't take it now, with humanities it doesn't matter too much.....take my gf for instance she didn't take geography at GSCE but has so far got 100% at every geography exam and is already guaranteed an A and has an offer from Oxford to do geography :O
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey guys,

OR

You can learn programming without a computing A level. Physics is better. I'm learning C++ on my own.

Also, don't do English! It doesn't fit with maths etc. and it's loads of work again. But that's just me.
Reply 13
Original post by moorbre
I have taken maths, physics, chemistry, geography As (last year) and computing As....so here's my advice....
Take physics, its a lot easy to self teach yourself some programming...also the language you learn at A level isn't the most useful language ( basic rather than something useful like a version of C or Java )
Also physics is a lot more respected.
Maths helps with physics so they should compliment each other :smile:
The maths in computing isn't at all complicated.

You could always do what I did and in your second year take up computing As ( or physics up to you :P) and three other A2s

Hope that helps :smile:

Hey thanks so much this literally helps a lot! Yeah, i think i will actually! Because, i was going to drop it after AS Anyway, that leaves me with geo maths eng and physics AS and hopefully geo maths eng A level. Also i'm not sure about my GCSEs, becuase i think i did well in phyics, but what happens if i didnt get an a*?
Oh right yeah, i was thinking in my frees maybe taking AS computing? Or do you not think this would be a good idea? Because it may be stressful? TBH i don't even want an AS in computing, all i want is to learn everything they do and be able to program and code and stuff.
Thanks so much ltierally im going to go withphysics
Reply 14
Original post by MrBlueMo0n
You can learn programming without a computing A level. Physics is better. I'm learning C++ on my own.

Also, don't do English! It doesn't fit with maths etc. and it's loads of work again. But that's just me.

hey thanks again. haha yeah i know i dont really want to do english but I have to for Law and also i'm quite good at it. Ok cool yeah cos i really want to do computing but just not necessarily for a level. cool thanks yeah :smile:
Reply 15
Also everyone - im worried that it will be too much work with physics?
Like - english is hard! maths is hard! geo is ok but physics is hard for me
whereas - english is hard, maths hard, geo ok, computing ok ish
Reply 16
also
how about if i teach myself it in Year 13? i.e AS when im doing my other A levels?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Computing-AS-Students-Level/dp/0748782966/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338736220&sr=1-1

what do you guys think about that link??
hey thanks again. haha yeah i know i dont really want to do english but I have to for Law and also i'm quite good at it. Ok cool yeah cos i really want to do computing but just not necessarily for a level. cool thanks yeah :smile:

Maybe you should think of chemistry. I hated biology and chemistry subjects at GCSE, and I didn't take either for A level. Instead I took business because I was good at it. However, my first exam result was a U :frown: so I had to retake and I'm waiting for an overall AS grades. My point is, chemistry is much more reliable, like maths, and you can always learn to like a subject.
Reply 18
Hey thanks so much this literally helps a lot! Yeah, i think i will actually! Because, i was going to drop it after AS Anyway, that leaves me with geo maths eng and physics AS and hopefully geo maths eng A level. Also i'm not sure about my GCSEs, becuase i think i did well in phyics, but what happens if i didnt get an a*?
Oh right yeah, i was thinking in my frees maybe taking AS computing? Or do you not think this would be a good idea? Because it may be stressful? TBH i don't even want an AS in computing, all i want is to learn everything they do and be able to program and code and stuff.
Thanks so much ltierally im going to go withphysics

well I took my As computing in my second year along with A2 physics chemistry and maths, three very strong A levels, but you will find that you have a lot of spare lesson times and probably will get bored with three subjects. I found As computing took up zero of my spare time other than my lessons as I found it very easy and I am set for a A/B in it.
At As you do learn basic programming which uses the console command on the computer.
I picked it up as I will be taking Computer Science at University and I thought it would help me.

Even if you took it up during your second week, you can drop out of it anytime you want, but I would advise dropping out before you do UCAS but that still gives you a couple of months to see whether you like it :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by moorbre
well I took my As computing in my second year along with A2 physics chemistry and maths, three very strong A levels, but you will find that you have a lot of spare lesson times and probably will get bored with three subjects. I found As computing took up zero of my spare time other than my lessons as I found it very easy and I am set for a A/B in it.
At As you do learn basic programming which uses the console command on the computer.
I picked it up as I will be taking Computer Science at University and I thought it would help me.

Even if you took it up during your second week, you can drop out of it anytime you want, but I would advise dropping out before you do UCAS but that still gives you a couple of months to see whether you like it :smile:

ah thats so cool thats exactly what i want to do. like pick it up in Year 12. but did you teach tyourself? - that im worried about!! ah thats so cool, what do you recommend that i read or teach myself to like learn stuff that is close to the syllabus, cos maybe i just wont take an AS in it, ill just learn the syllabus and like miss out the boring stuff?
thanks man ive decided physics finally thanks

Quick Reply

Latest