The Student Room Group
Reply 1
yeah write about your top score in pacman
Despite the 'received wisdom', I find it hard to believe that many academics would actually give a **** what your hobbies/interests are. Your stuff at school can count here as well by the way.. sports etc. Ever done social services? I would leave out video games personally - but talking about your top score in Pacman will definitely make your personal statement.. stand out.
Reply 3
:rofl:
I thought I was the same at first but I've thought of a few things to write about. Ever done any of these? (Not sure how many would be relevant to write about in your PS but might get ideas going)...

-Babysitting
-Charity - fundraising for comic relief or anything (even through your school)
-Reading (genres?)
-Travelling? Interesting holidays you've been on?
-Go to a gym or sports club ever?
-Extra curriculars.. taking part in school plays etc

If you really can't think of anything then when's your application deadline? If you're applying to Oxbridge/medicine or something then October but otherwise it's not until Jan. That means you've got a couple of months to start getting involved with things! It's not too late!

Hope this helps,
MissSurfer

-
Reply 5
You need to say why it makes you a better person, and therefore a better candidate for the degree.

Not "I read books and go windsurfing". That doesn't say anything useful.
Reply 6
You could mention them, but I guess it's best to find a way to link them to the degree you're applying for or skills you'll need. I have no idea what you're applying for, but things like reading comics books lead you to become interested in the use of art as a form of communication. Playing video games developed in Japan sparked your initial interest in learning Japanese. Playing sport in a team helped you develop your ability to work with others, etc.
Reply 7
Yeah - Relate everything to what you have learned or gained...
Reply 8
Make it up - You can get away with it if your course doesnt interview, otherwise you have about a year to become skilled in your hobby.

I would suggest devoting 20% of your personal statement to extra curriculars.
GarageMc
Make it up - You can get away with it if your course doesnt interview

But that's naughty.
i want to apply for medicine

>_>

im a prefect, and im looking for volunteer things that i can do.

im quite crap in sports to be frank, but enjoy playing them with friends; could be teamwork and technique.

i guess i sometimes read books, but not enough to qualify as a hobby. i've started to read more graphic novels. guess i enjoy the inner conflct of characters more than anything.

i also was in this martial arts class for a year around 3 years ago...

is that decent?
Astudentinneed
i want to apply for medicine

>_>

im a prefect, and im looking for volunteer things that i can do.

im quite crap in sports to be frank, but enjoy playing them with friends; could be teamwork and technique.

i guess i sometimes read books, but not enough to qualify as a hobby. i've started to read more graphic novels. guess i enjoy the inner conflct of characters more than anything.

i also was in this martial arts class for a year around 3 years ago...

is that decent?

Volunteer work or some sort of work experience will definitely be good for medicine, so try and find something. Otherwise what you have so far seems fine as long as you can link it to the course. Being a prefect shows you can take responsibility, playing sports shows teamwork, inner conflicts of characters shows an understanding of people.....and I'm not sure what martial arts shows, but the ability to defend yourself could be pretty important if you intend to work in the NHS! :p: As an example, I also did bugger all extra curriculars, but I applied for languages, so I said reading works by foreign authors and going on holiday abroad made me more interested in langauges and culture.