The Student Room Group

Studio Ghibli Society - Discuss some of the most enchanting films ever made here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ive seen all of them and I love them all. Allthough I only have spirited away and howls moving castle on DVD. Bring back real animation!!! I also know of people in their 30's who enjoy them and older. The films are great creations, though I do find some scenes a little cheese.
Reply 61
Jiser
Ive seen all of them and I love them all. Allthough I only have spirited away and howls moving castle on DVD. Bring back real animation!!! I also know of people in their 30's who enjoy them and older. The films are great creations, though I do find some scenes a little cheese.

howls moving castle is one of the cheesiest of them all,

Spoiler

I just came away from it thinking,

Spoiler

I haven't seen them all yet :p: but I'm getting there.

It just occurred to me that most people probably don't know what studio Ghibli have made. I bet if I'd put some titles in there it'd get more attention. I might write up a list of Ghibli releases and put it in my sig or the OP or something.
Reply 62
You would be suprised about the knowledge of these movies. In fact quite a few of my friends have heard of or seen spirited away/howls moving etc. Usally all through word of mouth. People must get past the stereotypes of a cheesy 'kiddy' pokemon type film and see the amazingness!

I wouldnt mind a bit of true love and heart though ! :smile: I need some right now.
Reply 63
Jiser
You would be suprised about the knowledge of these movies. In fact quite a few of my friends have heard of or seen spirited away/howls moving etc. Usally all through word of mouth. People must get past the stereotypes of a cheesy 'kiddy' pokemon type film and see the amazingness!

I wouldnt mind a bit of true love and heart though ! :smile: I need some right now.

hehe yeah, I can understand that, true love ftw! you might even find it on TSR if you hang around long enough :p:

I think a lot of people find it hard to get past the fact that they're cute and animated, I know my gf has very little patience with them, but they are awesome. I think Spirited aways success has had a pretty big impact on the way people see them though, and the disney re-release of decent english dubbed versions (thats how I got into them) must help too.

Did you watch them subtitled or dubbed?

And have you considered joining the society, if you wanna, just go here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=list&page=11 and there should be a link to request membership. No pressure now :p:
Reply 64
Both! Though I am noticing alot of people don't have good taste in films nowa days including most women. I couldn't see many people sitting down to watch Totoro.

On a side note I will have to stay then! Besides I need a new forum to hang out in and there are more brits here than my last :P
Reply 65
Jiser
Both! Though I am noticing alot of people don't have good taste in films nowa days including most women. I couldn't see many people sitting down to watch Totoro.

On a side note I will have to stay then! Besides I need a new forum to hang out in and there are more brits here than my last :P

yeah true! although I'm not exactly discerning, I watch anything with a happy ending :rofl:

I haven't seen totoro yet, I was avoiding it 'causae it sounded sad, but I've been talked into it now i think :p:

yeah, I started out at megatokyo.com and pretty much everyone there is american, TSR is about the only predominantly british one I've ever been on :eek: and the rep system here is kinda fun.
Reply 66
I mainly been on a forum for the past year because I got dumped and hence became a bit of a relationship pro, tho need a fresh start now on a new forum.

Torotro isn't sad. Remember its only a cartoon. Besides the sadest endings make some of the best films. Like for instance the english patient or out of africa. ert
Reply 67
Jiser
I mainly been on a forum for the past year because I got dumped and hence became a bit of a relationship pro, tho need a fresh start now on a new forum.

Torotro isn't sad. Remember its only a cartoon. Besides the sadest endings make some of the best films. Like for instance the english patient or out of africa. ert

fair enough, I met the girl who became my girlfriend here, because I went to a meet, wrote an account of what happened that she thought was cute and had pictures of me put up, that she also thought were cute :p:

yeah I guess, but even cartoons can be really sad, I've never been able to sit back and be like, it isn't real, I think that loses half the fun (or maybe not fun exactly :p:) I will have to watch it and see.

have you seen my English Patient thread in books and literature? :rofl:
awesome book ;yes;
Reply 68
Jiser

:hmmm: Excuse me? I'm a woman and have excellent taste in films and fully appreciate Ghibli :p:
Here's a list of Ghibli films, including the more obscure ones and currently unreleased ones:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
I Can Hear the Sea
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo on a Cliff (unreleased)
I Lost My Little Boy (unreleased)

Plus Isao Takahata is planning another, currently unnamed. Also worth note (and currently both UK licensed and sold in most places where you can buy the true Ghibli films) are Hols: Prince of the Sun (director Isao Takahata's film debut) and The Castle of Cagliostro (Hayao Miyazaki's film debut). Both are pretty awesome.
Reply 70
Also worth note (and currently both UK licensed and sold in most places where you can buy the true Ghibli films) are Hols: Prince of the Sun (director Isao Takahata's film debut) and The Castle of Cagliostro (Hayao Miyazaki's film debut). Both are pretty awesome.

i agree, castle of cagliostro is is really good, but the animation just isn't as good as the ghibli films, however i think that it is one of the best stories.

also i know this may just be a girly thing, but Whisper of the Heart is one of my favourites, i went to cremona, and it was just a disappointment
Reply 71
Ive been meaning to watch princess mononoke again but ive not found the time :s:, I also really want to see grave of the fireflies :s-smilie:
There isthe new film by Hayo Miyazaki's son coming out..which one is this?
Tales from Earthsea is Goro Miyasaki's first film. It's not brilliant, not particularly bad but not up to 'Ghibli standard' IMO.
Reply 74
Having had seven months to watch Howl's moving castle and still not doing it, I've decided to take the DVD with me and watch it ;yes;

I haven't seen all of the films released.
Rewatched Laputa last Thursday, this time with subs (I'd only seen the dub on Film4 prior to that). It was great, better than I remember it actually. And the week before that (the night of the last post actually) I rewatched Only Yesterday. Which was...nice.
Reply 76
i love the rest, but i have to say i have tried to watch only yesterday more than twice, and each time i find myself dropping off in the middle, it is just really boring, and i can literally watch anything without getting bored
Only Yesterday is a nice story, but it lacks action compared to the other Studio Ghibli films. Out of all the films it was the one I least wanted to rewatch, but I was out-voted by the rest of my anime society (I wanted to see Little Norse Prince again, it isn't strictly Ghibli but it rules!)
Reply 78
I watched Whisper of the heart the other day (I'm having a lot of trouble keeping up with how ghibli some of these things are) and it was awesome. I watched the first bit with charl then the rest the next day and it was proper sweet.

I keep watching the dubs and I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing out though :dontknow: £7 in HMV for an anime film is pretty good though.
The best thing about Ghibli films is that they're affordable (though I'd be willing to pay twice if not three times that amount since they're that great).

Whisper of The Heart was the first and last Ghibli film directed by the late Kondo Yoshifumi. He died of an aneurysm, thought to have been brought about by his excessive work :frown:. A shame really, as he could have gone on to be one of the great directors of Studio Ghibli; leaves me wondering exactly who could take over from Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata when they retire :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest