The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work America

Scroll to see replies

has anyone booked their flights yet? I'm sending my insurance booking form off on tuesday when I get back to uni.

Found some really cheap flights out at the start of june, but I'm worried my visa won't be processed that quickly?

I really can't remember how long CCUSA took with mine last year.
Reply 41
Do you mind telling me if the total price for the visa for 6-12 months is only £55? No other charges for a US visa because it usually costs way more tha that...? I know you pay £260 to bunac etc or £500 for travel pkg. I hope to go in aug to the US
Hi everyone,

has anyone booked their flights yet? I'm sending my insurance booking form off on tuesday when I get back to uni.

Found some really cheap flights out at the start of june, but I'm worried my visa won't be processed that quickly?

I really can't remember how long CCUSA took with mine last year.

I went with the BUNAC travel package in the end so got my flights sorted through BUNAC.

In the VISA application book it does advise that applications can take upto 4 weeks. However I am also hoping that it doesn't take that long - visa appointment booked for May 15th - Flights booked for June 2nd :s-smilie:

It's a gamble for both of us. I would advise you to send a quick email to BUNAC.

Do you mind telling me if the total price for the visa for 6-12 months is only £55? No other charges for a US visa because it usually costs way more tha that...? I know you pay £260 to bunac etc or £500 for travel pkg. I hope to go in aug to the US

BUNAC only do a 4 month J1 visa - not 6 - 12. The price for the 4 month visa is £75.
UPDATE!

It has been a long time since I have posted as I have been busy with CW/ Exams etc.

Anyway I have made lots of progress. I have found a job in CA and got my US Embassy visa booked for May 15th.

If all goes to plan I will hopefully be flying out from London on the 2nd June.

All is going swimmingly at the moment - I just have a few odds and ends to sort out such as internal flights and a bit of shopping etc.

How is everybody else getting on??
Wow that's exciting! I've been looking through the job directory and am definitely going to try and go next summer! Where have you decided to work? Good luck! It all sounds great!
hey!

what did you all use as proof of studentship? Do you think my council tax certificate will be ok?

Argh, I've been so bloody busy, I haven't got any of this organised!
mark1234567890
Hopefully going for the full 4 months if I can find a job.

I don't think it would be worth the cost if just going for 4 - 5 weeks. It wouldn't leave much time for travelling.

yeah I agree so I guess I'll be doing this next year :frown:
hey!

what did you all use as proof of studentship? Do you think my council tax certificate will be ok?

Argh, I've been so bloody busy, I haven't got any of this organised!

I don't think a council tax letter will be sufficient.

They require a letter on headed paper from your university. This letter has to have a load of information on it such as your course title, length of course and graduation date.
when's everybody off then? All got jobs sorted? xx
Reply 49
28th June I fly out.. Don't have a job organised. Have no idea where I want to base myself yet either, aaah!
I'm still waiting for my visa to be processed and them I'm out ASAP, so probably mid June.

Also don't have a job! Have a look at Cape Cod, maybe? it's beautiful out there, and apparently they have major staff shortages this summer cos of the changes to the eastern european visa process or something
ooh. another question.

Anybody taking a laptop with them?

I'm seriously considering taking mine, I'm probably only going to be traveling for about 2 weeks once my job has finished, and when I was in the States last year, everybody had laptops and all the hostels have wireless.

hmmm
I would take a laptop, like you said everyone has one out there and it sucks to pay for slow internet connections in cafes/hostels etc, when wi-fi is free.. i'd definitely take one if i went back there travelling.
Definitely take your laptop.

Mine has proved invaluable.

Just make sure that you have a decent case for it and take it through as part of your hand luggage.
Did you get any extra insurance for it? I've been looking, but it's so expensive!
Reply 55
I'm hoping to either this or camp work next year - I was just wondering about changing jobs part-way through - maybe if you decide to travel or hate the job - can you do this? Or does the visa work on a employer sponcer basis so you're tied there for the whole time?
JayneDoe
I'm hoping to either this or camp work next year - I was just wondering about changing jobs part-way through - maybe if you decide to travel or hate the job - can you do this? Or does the visa work on a employer sponcer basis so you're tied there for the whole time?

No you are sponsored by BUNAC, not the employer - so you can change jobs at any time, I changed jobs in the middle and it was fine, and travelled a bit between, so you can spend the time whichever way you like really :smile:
Reply 57
Is anyone else without a job like me? :frown:
Serenity
Is anyone else without a job like me? :frown:

I don't, and I leave tomorrow! :eek:

I'm really scared, but everyone is like "wow! That's such a big adventure, it'll be amazing" :rolleyes:

When are you leaving?
Reply 59
Leaving on the 28th June.

Where are you going to head to first for job hunting??

Kinda reassuring to hear someone is in the same position!

Quick Reply

Latest