The Student Room Group

Road to Investment Banking

I am a little new to the world of investment and finance and need some basic questions answered, also if you guys know of any sites that deal with investment banking that i could read up on like connexions.com or something similar

basically what sort of subjects should i be taking for A Levels? I am at the end of year 12, so if I take up economics I can only do it up to AS Level. Will this affect my uni application in a negative way, bearing in mind my other subs are
Maths up to A2
Bio up to AS (I will discontinue it for A2 and take up eco instead)
Chem up to A2

And for a career in investment banking, what course should I apply for in uni? just Economics, or should I go for something else?
And is economics a broad subject at uni, meaning i can branch into other fields of finance if i decide to change my mind, or does it mean i am stuck with IB?

thanks
Reply 1
Jools
Maths A-Level is almost essential. Economics is very desirable but not essential, I've never studied it, an AS in it will be fine. At university Economics and Maths are typical, but Engineering and Physics are also highly sought after, and for M&A the degree subject isn't so relevant. Thereafter for the 'road to investment banking', get some basic finance work experience in your 1st year, and stuff which demonstrates leadership, communication skills, teamwork etc, get a summer internship in your 2nd year, and then a grad job for after your 3rd year.

hi jools,

have just looked at your investment profille. was interested as my partner has just graduated from Cass with a finance degree and is looking to work in this field. I was wondering how you got your place and how you are enjoying it? sorry to hijack the thread! you can pm me in reply if you wnat too.
thanks
Reply 2
ramroff
I am a little new to the world of investment and finance and need some basic questions answered, also if you guys know of any sites that deal with investment banking that i could read up on like connexions.com or something similar

basically what sort of subjects should i be taking for A Levels? I am at the end of year 12, so if I take up economics I can only do it up to AS Level. Will this affect my uni application in a negative way, bearing in mind my other subs are
Maths up to A2
Bio up to AS (I will discontinue it for A2 and take up eco instead)
Chem up to A2

And for a career in investment banking, what course should I apply for in uni? just Economics, or should I go for something else?
And is economics a broad subject at uni, meaning i can branch into other fields of finance if i decide to change my mind, or does it mean i am stuck with IB?

thanks

Definately carry on with Bio if you are only taking 3 subjects at the moment!
Reply 3
Jools
Maths A-Level is almost essential. Economics is very desirable but not essential, I've never studied it, an AS in it will be fine. At university Economics and Maths are typical, but Engineering and Physics are also highly sought after, and for M&A the degree subject isn't so relevant. Thereafter for the 'road to investment banking', get some basic finance work experience in your 1st year, and stuff which demonstrates leadership, communication skills, teamwork etc, get a summer internship in your 2nd year, and then a grad job for after your 3rd year.

yeah true to the ground. its the matter of taking the right road early as there are so many applicants towards IB with most not really sure about it or know much what it is all about. So it is important to get into that sort of right attitude in order to get into IB as well as having all the above things mentioned by this guy.

As long as you aren't afraid of long hours and like to challenge and withstand pressures.
Reply 4
Jump
Definately carry on with Bio if you are only taking 3 subjects at the moment!

why would you say 'definitely'? are you saying it is better if i carry Bio, Chem and Maths up to A2 and do Econ up to AS on top of it, as opposed to dropping Bio after AS and doing AS Econ?
Reply 5
Jools

Thanks Jools, what do you mean by M&A? Managing and Accountancy? :confused:
Reply 6
ramroff
Thanks Jools, what do you mean by M&A? Managing and Accountancy? :confused:

I think he means Mergers&Aquisitions.
Would an internship with the big Accounting firms be helpful for IBanking?
Reply 8
Originally Posted by Jools
Maths A-Level is almost essential.

I was just wondering if the relevance of doing a Maths A-Level is still essential if you do CIMA or an ACCA qualification at a big 4 accountancy firm and then move into IB??

- Otherwise my plans screwed :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Thanks, and since you seem so knowledgable about this, what would you advise about my A Levels.
Is it better to just forget about taking Eco and take Bio Chem and Maths up to A2 (end result, 3 A2s and 1 AS), or is it better to drop Bio after AS and take up Eco up to AS (end result 2A2s and 2ASs) ?
Reply 10
thanks
i'll stick with bio chem and maths for A2 then, and maybe if i feel i can do it, take on AS Econ without dropping any thing else.
Reply 11
Jools, (for me) what sort of 'finance' experience in the first year would get me an internship in the second? And (for a friend at Camb) do investment banks only choose graduates at ~21 years, or do they consider mature students (24/25 and still at uni)?

Thanks for any input!

Raph
Reply 12
Cool, thanks for that dude.
Reply 13
Do I want to go into IB?

Latest

Trending

Trending