The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA offers thread!

Scroll to see replies

Chipsxxx
I've got a conditional offer (BBB) for Ecology.

Also have a visit day on 3rd of February - do we get to look around accomodation as I never got the chance when I went and looked around the uni?

Im going on the 3rd too.
I really hope we do, i wanna get a feel of the uni itself too.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 101
xstarxsparklex
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :biggrin:

I can't decide whether to put Nottingham or East Anglia as my firm, what's swaying you towards Notts?
Reply 102
sinesquared.
Im going on the 3rd too.
I really hope we do, i wanna get a feel of the uni itself too.

I went on the visit day for Economics last year and we got to look in the en-suite and the Norfolk terrace accommodation

I preferred the Norfolk accommodation, seemed more cosey and interactive :smile:
AT-7792
I can't decide whether to put Nottingham or East Anglia as my firm, what's swaying you towards Notts?

Well, I love both of them in terms of atmosphere, friendliness, etc and UEA's accommodation is admittedly better, BUT I just love EVERYTHING about Nottingham :p: The campus is soo purtyful, with the boating lake, parkland type areas....I live quite nearby so have been to the city plenty of times and have always liked it...The course looks pretty damn good...and yeah. Social life seems pretty good too :P
Really I'd be happy going to either but something just feels 'right' about Nottingham which makes me reallllly want to go there haha. Wow I sound silly ;]
Reply 104
Mikehed
I went on the visit day for Economics last year and we got to look in the en-suite and the Norfolk terrace accommodation

I preferred the Norfolk accommodation, seemed more cosey and interactive :smile:

Hey, did you see the showers/bathrooms when you looked at Norfolk terrace? I've visited UEA but didn't get a chance to see the accommodation, and can't make it to the next open day. I hear good things about all the accommodation really, but was just wondering if the showers and loos looked nice and clean and such. Are the actual bedrooms bigger than the ones in the campus en-suites, too?
Reply 105
Lucyyy
Hey, did you see the showers/bathrooms when you looked at Norfolk terrace? I've visited UEA but didn't get a chance to see the accommodation, and can't make it to the next open day. I hear good things about all the accommodation really, but was just wondering if the showers and loos looked nice and clean and such. Are the actual bedrooms bigger than the ones in the campus en-suites, too?

the bathrooms in Norfolk were really nice, they'd been refurbished in the last couple of years.

The bedrooms are bigger in the Norfolk terrace as well, the bathrooms are situated sort of in the middle as well, so you won't have to run very far if you don't want anyone to see you in a towel after you've had a shower :smile:
Reply 106
Mikehed
the bathrooms in Norfolk were really nice, they'd been refurbished in the last couple of years.

The bedrooms are bigger in the Norfolk terrace as well, the bathrooms are situated sort of in the middle as well, so you won't have to run very far if you don't want anyone to see you in a towel after you've had a shower :smile:

Ahh brilliant, the bathrooms were the only thing I was worried about.. I'd dismissed Norfolk/Suffolk terrace so quickly for not being en-suite, but they're looking like the superior option now :p: especially since they'd leave me with £700 to spare, whereas campus en-suite would leave me skint as hell..

Ah man, I am making myself far to excited for September by thinking about accommodation this early.
Reply 107
Lucyyy
Ahh brilliant, the bathrooms were the only thing I was worried about.. I'd dismissed Norfolk/Suffolk terrace so quickly for not being en-suite, but they're looking like the superior option now :p: especially since they'd leave me with £700 to spare, whereas campus en-suite would leave me skint as hell..

Ah man, I am making myself far to excited for September by thinking about accommodation this early.

It's a lot more sociable as well, since like up to 14 people live in a corridor/flat whereas the en-suite is set on like 3 floors and holds only up to 10

Tell me about it!, i should be revising for my law exam tomorrow but i keep thinking about how i'm sort my room out, food and alcohol/bill etc. :biggrin:
Reply 108
Mikehed
It's a lot more sociable as well, since like up to 14 people live in a corridor/flat whereas the en-suite is set on like 3 floors and holds only up to 10

Tell me about it!, i should be revising for my law exam tomorrow but i keep thinking about how i'm sort my room out, food and alcohol/bill etc. :biggrin:

I do keep hearing about it being more sociable, which is fantastic. I'm on a gap year at the minute and am spending far too much time by myself, I need to be somewhere as social as possible if I'm not to utterly lose my marbles :erm: I'm also fairly allured by the prospect of views over the lake, haha. Probably not a huge point to base my accommodation choices on, but it's all good.
Ahh, at least my excessive thinking isn't distracting me from anything, go revise! Or you won't be going anywhere! :p: I am much the same though, thinking over all the most insignificant details.. pondering whether to take my fairy lights and whether to invest in a lean mean fat grilling machine..
Reply 109
Lucyyy
I do keep hearing about it being more sociable, which is fantastic. I'm on a gap year at the minute and am spending far too much time by myself, I need to be somewhere as social as possible if I'm not to utterly lose my marbles :erm: I'm also fairly allured by the prospect of views over the lake, haha. Probably not a huge point to base my accommodation choices on, but it's all good.
Ahh, at least my excessive thinking isn't distracting me from anything, go revise! Or you won't be going anywhere! :p: I am much the same though, thinking over all the most insignificant details.. pondering whether to take my fairy lights and whether to invest in a lean mean fat grilling machine..

I'd like to think i'm the exception to the, men can't multi-task, rule :smile:
and i've got one, it's not that good, just sucks all the fat out the meat, you get a griddle in the accommodation so just use that

and fairy lights?, are these to put on your wall or are you thinking of Christmas already?
Reply 110
Mikehed
I'd like to think i'm the exception to the, men can't multi-task, rule :smile:
and i've got one, it's not that good, just sucks all the fat out the meat, you get a griddle in the accommodation so just use that

and fairy lights?, are these to put on your wall or are you thinking of Christmas already?

Damn, lucky you. I am the exception to the 'women can multi-task' rule.. dammit!
Ah no, I have fairy lights up year round, I just enjoy wasting electricity and cluttering my room up to an excessive degree :awesome:
Reply 111
Lucyyy
Damn, lucky you. I am the exception to the 'women can multi-task' rule.. dammit!
Ah no, I have fairy lights up year round, I just enjoy wasting electricity and cluttering my room up to an excessive degree :awesome:

When we went to look at the accommodation, the amount of mums that commented on the state of their rooms, i was just stood there thinking, this is pretty clean compared to me :smile:

Dunno if i'd wanna live with you in second and third year then since you have to pay the bills for electricity, first year, yes though :biggrin:
Reply 112
Mikehed
When we went to look at the accommodation, the amount of mums that commented on the state of their rooms, i was just stood there thinking, this is pretty clean compared to me :smile:

Dunno if i'd wanna live with you in second and third year then since you have to pay the bills for electricity, first year, yes though :biggrin:

My mum still keeps a stern eye on my room at home, and even then it's a state.. I can only see it going downhill at uni, oh my, it'll be glorious. My mum's idea of 'untidy' is just what I would call.. organised clutter.
But yeah, think I better tone down the electricity consumption once I'm actually paying the bills for it on top of rent. The more money I spend on bills, the less there is for cider. And I can't be having that.
Reply 113
Lucyyy
My mum still keeps a stern eye on my room at home, and even then it's a state.. I can only see it going downhill at uni, oh my, it'll be glorious. My mum's idea of 'untidy' is just what I would call.. organised clutter.
But yeah, think I better tone down the electricity consumption once I'm actually paying the bills for it on top of rent. The more money I spend on bills, the less there is for cider. And I can't be having that.

It's organised chaos in my household :smile:
My sister is at warwick and my mum has on been in her room once and i think she was actually going to go by a duster and clean it out herself,

I'm definitely not paying for any heating bills, just wrap up in my big dressingown, big glass of whisky, i'll feel like i'm in barbados in no time :smile:

Howcome you're on a gap year then?, miss you grades for other uni's last year or are you doing something at the moment?
Reply 114
Mikehed
It's organised chaos in my household :smile:
My sister is at warwick and my mum has on been in her room once and i think she was actually going to go by a duster and clean it out herself,

I'm definitely not paying for any heating bills, just wrap up in my big dressingown, big glass of whisky, i'll feel like i'm in barbados in no time :smile:

Howcome you're on a gap year then?, miss you grades for other uni's last year or are you doing something at the moment?

I can deal with no heating, my dad is some kind of borderline eco warrior so the heating isn't on for very long in our house anyway :p: Nothing multiple layers can't solve! Or, indeed, whisky..
As for the gap year, mostly the former. I missed my firm offer but I decided not long before results day that I'd made the wrong choice with the course I applied for anyway, so tried to get in to UEA through clearing, failed, and so the gap year. But I have a nice unconditional now instead, which has made this year muuuch less stressful for applying. So yay. What are you applying for?
Reply 115
Lucyyy
I can deal with no heating, my dad is some kind of borderline eco warrior so the heating isn't on for very long in our house anyway :p: Nothing multiple layers can't solve! Or, indeed, whisky..
As for the gap year, mostly the former. I missed my firm offer but I decided not long before results day that I'd made the wrong choice with the course I applied for anyway, so tried to get in to UEA through clearing, failed, and so the gap year. But I have a nice unconditional now instead, which has made this year muuuch less stressful for applying. So yay. What are you applying for?

Yeah i'm in the stress zone very much now :smile: and i've got a BBB for Business economics, I don't know why i haven't firmed it yet since i love the place, just waiting to make sure i want hull as my insurance i suppose, got a visit day there next wednesday

Haven't visited the city though, since you live in Norfolk can i take it you know the city, can tell me if it's nice? :smile:
Reply 116
Mikehed
Yeah i'm in the stress zone very much now :smile: and i've got a BBB for Business economics, I don't know why i haven't firmed it yet since i love the place, just waiting to make sure i want hull as my insurance i suppose, got a visit day there next wednesday

Haven't visited the city though, since you live in Norfolk can i take it you know the city, can tell me if it's nice? :smile:

I know Norwich pretty well, it might make me a bit biased but I love the place! The city itself is relatively small but I really don't think it's lacking in anything. Some people say the night life isn't so great, but I think that depends where you're coming from - if you're comparing it to a larger city, sure, it's a little slack. Plenty of pubs (one for every day of the year apparently), some great bars and clubs I hear.. I don't really go out in Norwich at night since it would cost me ~£50 to get home in a taxi, so I can't comment so much on that, just what I hear from others. Seems to be a good variety though, from your mainstream scene to.. well, whatever takes your fancy. There's often bands playing at the UEA LCR or at the Waterfront too, plus a few smaller venues. Lovely place in all though, everything you need, pretty clean, comparatively very safe. Regular buses between the uni and city centre. I'm trying to think of some more novel points to sell it on but failing somewhat.. :p:
Reply 117
Lucyyy
I know Norwich pretty well, it might make me a bit biased but I love the place! The city itself is relatively small but I really don't think it's lacking in anything. Some people say the night life isn't so great, but I think that depends where you're coming from - if you're comparing it to a larger city, sure, it's a little slack. Plenty of pubs (one for every day of the year apparently), some great bars and clubs I hear.. I don't really go out in Norwich at night since it would cost me ~£50 to get home in a taxi, so I can't comment so much on that, just what I hear from others. Lovely place in all though, everything you need, pretty clean, comparatively very safe. Regular buses between the uni and city centre. I'm trying to think of some more novel points to sell it on but failing somewhat.. :p:

You've convinced me enough anyway, i've only been out for sixthform parties and stuff, since i'm not 18 yet, so i think the nightlife will be good enough for me :smile:
Reply 118
Mikehed
You've convinced me enough anyway, i've only been out for sixthform parties and stuff, since i'm not 18 yet, so i think the nightlife will be good enough for me :smile:

All good then :biggrin: It's a lovely city and a great uni in all, I think it gets somewhat forgotten for it's location though, being a bit 'out of the way'. Not to everyone's taste but I think it's a bit of a gem really.
Reply 119
Lucyyy
All good then :biggrin: It's a lovely city and a great uni in all, I think it gets somewhat forgotten for it's location though, being a bit 'out of the way'. Not to everyone's taste but I think it's a bit of a gem really.

Yeah my friends who want to come visit me if i go there, have complained about that but i found train tickets for like £10 return so they can shut up and come see me :smile:

I don't want to go to a massive city like manchester/birmingham etc. don't like big crowds or anything so Norwich seems to be a city built with the idea of me staying there :biggrin:

Just been looking at the uni as well and it apparently won an fhm award for the best looking people university, think this needs to be said more on the pro's and cons uea thread!

Quick Reply

Latest