The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2011 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
*subscribes*
Reply 81
c12andn15
What's the deal with the UBS logical and numerical assessment. I sat them yesterday and got an email saying if I don't hear back from them immediately it means they are still considering my application. I didn't hear back (so that's good).

By Immediately do they mean within the day? Are the tests automatically graded?

It has been more than 24 hours now so I hope I'm in the clear (Y) :smile:

If you fail, you get an immediate rejection e-mail I think... So it's a good sign if you haven't heard back yet.
Hey All,

Just to confirm that most IB's will be filling their 2011 grad intake from this summer's interns? Looking at Nomura/UBS and deciding between off-cycle apps or their official analyst positions for 2011 in IBD.
CS_Prodigy
what other banks have you applied for?

i still think its a bit too early to submit applications, for me that is, so im just going to wait till start of sep, as this is when most banks open their online apps, and on the plus side, i can research and prepare for the interviews, but good luck with your result

Goldman sachs, Barclays capital and obviously UBS.

All my other applications are from September onwards due to their starting time.

I'm also going to a Bank of America, Merrill Lynch Skills for success event in London on the 10th.
Reply 84
c12andn15
Goldman sachs, Barclays capital and obviously UBS.

All my other applications are from September onwards due to their starting time.

I'm also going to a Bank of America, Merrill Lynch Skills for success event in London on the 10th.

They're not going to give you a summer offer just from going on that lol
Milch
They're not going to give you a summer offer just from going on that lol

I never said they were going to.

Although there are opportunities to network when you are there.

"There will be interactive workshops, presentations and networking sessions which will hopefully help when it comes to trying to compete for a summer internship. Some outstanding applicants may be fast tracked straight to first round interviews."
Reply 86
I don't understand people already applying? (especially GS, who don't even recruit on a rolling basis)... Don't be so uber keen and use the time to make sure your CV is as top notch as possible before you finally do apply...
Haz313
I don't understand people already applying? (especially GS, who don't even recruit on a rolling basis)... Don't be so uber keen and use the time to make sure your CV is as top notch as possible before you finally do apply...

I've spent plenty of time over the summer on my CV and covering letter. Huge changes to these really don't help much anyway.
Reply 88
c12andn15
I've spent plenty of time over the summer on my CV and covering letter. Huge changes to these really don't help much anyway.

You're forgoing the chance to be able to add things that you may be doing in September - November at Uni - and trust me, "huge changes to these" do help more than you think. The downside of not being able to put more on your CV/spend more time working on it >> the downside of not being the very first to apply for the internship imho (very little advantage).
Reply 89
Haz313
You're forgoing the chance to be able to add things that you may be doing in September - November at Uni - and trust me, "huge changes to these" do help more than you think. The downside of not being able to put more on your CV/spend more time working on it >> the downside of not being the very first to apply for the internship imho (very little advantage).

This is true. Before I started university, my CV was bare. But after the first few months I had loads of stuff to put on there.
Reply 90
Milch
This is true. Before I started university, my CV was bare. But after the first few months I had loads of stuff to put on there.

:curious: ... Just of out interest, what the heck did you do in your first few months that was even worth going on a CV?!
Reply 91
.ACS.
:curious: ... Just of out interest, what the heck did you do in your first few months that was even worth going on a CV?!

Winning/doing well in trading games or other competitions held on campus. Also stuff like reaching the finals of the UBS Challenge. Societies/teams joined.
Reply 92
As the topic of conversation has drifted on to cv's the past few hours, I was interested to know how everyone is so confident to apply now with what they have prepared. I mean aren't any of you a bit hesitant to forego the opportunity of assistance with your respective university's careers centre and the like.

I desperately want to apply now, as those from my rugby team who did last year, seemed on the whole at an advantage. My attempts to gain a spring internship utterly failed and now have little to no confidence with my newly adjusted CV; thus don't want to waste applications.

If any1 fancies themselves as a bit of an expert would fully appreciate any help they could offer
Reply 93
c12andn15

I'm extremely annoyed at myself for forgetting to apply for this. When they told you that you've got a place, did they e-mail you? If so, could you PM me the address from which they e-mailed you?
WokSz
Hmmm. Have you tried using Linkedin? You might be able to find some random people in the division of your choice.

Lol, well i did this...

Turns out they have a very efficient system of tracing people. I just received a call from someone in HR I met during my SW. :o:
Reply 95
just out of query, im currently applying to some boutique firms and they dont specially mention their application dates on when you can apply, they say you can apply send your cv to them for summer internships and if anything turns up, they'll contact you, i am a bit too early to sending these away, or i'm i ok?
c12andn15

Is it still Claudine running it?
Zweihander
Is it still Claudine running it?

I am not sure to be honest. I only got an email from the Campus recruiting team so far saying that I have a place there.
Swayum
I'm extremely annoyed at myself for forgetting to apply for this. When they told you that you've got a place, did they e-mail you? If so, could you PM me the address from which they e-mailed you?

I just PM'd you it :smile:.

But I have been warned to email them immediately if I cancel as they are fully booked. (there's a waiting list, lol).
Reply 99
Swayum

I wouldn't be. They have run at least 3 of these workshops so far, inviting around 80 people, so loads will have it on their CV. And tbh, its repeating the same basic stuff everytime, so you don't pick up anything either.

Quick Reply