The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oxford because royal blue is the boss
Didn't apply, but I'm personally, more interested in Oxford, because it's the only one that does, Fine Art.
I've no idea why, but I never even really thought about Oxford. I would love to know the subconscious reasons why it didn't even cross my mind to look there as well as Cambridge, but I doubt I ever will.
I'm applying to Cambridge NatSci because while I want to read physics primarily, I'd also enjoy some computer science and chemistry. This sort of flexibility is not on offer at Oxford.
I'm applying for Oxford. Dunno why. I guess because they don't ask for an A* for lit...
Reply 605
Cambridge because my sister went to Oxford. Healthy rivalry :P
Reply 606
Brideshead wasn't set in Cambridge. Biggest reason why I picked Oxford.
Reply 607
I don't go to either, but I would chose Oxford over Cambridge because they are more Law/Business minded whereas Cambridge seems to be more medical based? Law is a career I'd like to pursue...
Reply 608
Original post by dancingqueen
Firstly, as I'm doing science, I would have to have taken natural sciences which I wasn't keen on, I didn't fancy doing all the other options, just wanted to get on with chemistry.

I imagine this is a big reason. Same with PPE and separate subjects.

Secondly, I liked the city of Oxford better than Cambridge. Its bigger, there are more pubs, clubs, cafes etc, and I just like the 'feel' of the place better. Its hard to explain, but I fell in love with Oxford when I visited, and even though I visited Cambridge first, I knew Oxford was where I wanted to be.

And this. I prefer Cambridge because it's smaller. Pretty sure there are more pubs in Cambridge though :wink:

Only downside is there aren't many clubs in Cambridge, but you make the most of what you've got.

And for me, Oxford was too close to home.
Reply 609
Hello, I'm planning to apply this year to either Oxford or Cambridge for English. I just can't decide which. I want to choose primarily on the course, but cant easily make out the differences between the two courses from their website. Could someone who is at either institution tell me why they chose their uni instead of the other regarding the English course?
Original post by Monty333
Hello, I'm planning to apply this year to either Oxford or Cambridge for English. I just can't decide which. I want to choose primarily on the course, but cant easily make out the differences between the two courses from their website. Could someone who is at either institution tell me why they chose their uni instead of the other regarding the English course?

I'm not there yet but I'm going to cam tomorrow. :smile: Oxford is English Language and Literature, Cambridge is just literature (although you can choose to do a paper either on English language or foreign literature). The Oxford course starts earlier, Cambridge starts from 1300, which at the moment I'm feeling is definitely early enough! At Cambridge you don't get that much choice until your third year - you basically study everything in period papers; at Oxford I think you might get to pick from second year but I'm not sure. I think Cambridge places more emphasis on practical criticism but Oxford do have it too. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 611
Why does Oxford's earlier start (ie, Old English) put people off? Surely if you love literature, you want to know about all literature!

And thanks confusedllama, that did help!
Why does Oxford's earlier start (ie, Old English) put people off? Surely if you love literature, you want to know about all literature!

And thanks confusedllama, that did help!

Don't worry - you can also do old English at Cambridge on the foreign literature/ language paper (that may be what puts people off as it's like another language). But no, it was more the English language element of the Oxford course that put me off; and the Cambridge tragedy paper looks amazing.
Reply 613
I didn't realise there was an English language element? Could you explain what that consists of?
Thank you so much for your help!
I'd visited Cambridge several times (in fact I've only spent 2 hours in Oxford on the way to Spain, and that was after I'd decided to apply to Cambridge), and Trinity College supposedly has the best reputation for maths-possibly in the world.

Also, Oxford rejected me from their UNIQ summer school, so perhaps if I had gone to that, I'd have changed my mind! :tongue:
Reply 615
I have chosen to apply to Cambridge (for Computer Science) because it is virtually the birthplace of many aspects of computing; Turing and Babbage also went there. It also looks very green and it seems like just the right size as a city. The Computer Science faculty building also looks so much better than the dull Oxford one, and the Colleges at Oxford all look a bit bland to me.

Also, my wonderful history teacher (who walked out of Oxford with a 1st, no less, and went on to make a certain website that a lot of history students use) said, and I quote: "Oxford is a bloody dump once you leave the centre." (And he should know: he comes from Telford.)

Edit: My comments were purely tongue-in-cheek, you touchy Oxonians; I would rather go to Oxford than anywhere else other than Cambridge. Also, Telford (probably) isn't as bad as he makes it seem...
(edited 11 years ago)
I didn't realise there was an English language element? Could you explain what that consists of?
Thank you so much for your help!

I think it's more about the history and development of English but you'd better check with an Oxford person as I don't really know.
Reply 617
Original post by Arialaxe
I have chosen to apply to Cambridge (for Computer Science) because it is virtually the birthplace of many aspects of computing; Turing and Babbage..

Tim Berners-Lee? :tongue:
Reply 618
Original post by shoshin
Tim Berners-Lee? :tongue:

He's now an MIT prof though. Turing was in Cambridge for almost all of his tragically short academic life. Also, the first stored program computer was built at Cambridge, and they've had a CS course for longer than anyone.

And Babbage made the first computer. Come on, how cool is that? Crummy ol' WWW would 'av turned up anyhow :biggrin:

He's now an MIT prof though.
[Offtopic alert]And now he works for Southampton Uni. He could chose to go anywhere in the world... I think it's quite cool that he chooses to spend his time in my home city :biggrin:

Latest