The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 81
Hi everyone,

I may be applying for Access to Leeds Medicine, but was wondering if its a big help or not, will it give me a higher chance of getting an offer?
And was wondering about the advantages/disadvantages?
Also does it count as 1 of my 4 options for medicine?

Thank you (:
Original post by Besakt
What if you have the grades for the GCSE but not the AS grades?

makes no difference to them! :/ I asked the admissions tutor personally and she basically said if you have A's in science at gcse, regardless of as levels, you can't apply to the foundation course :/
Reply 83
Original post by popsiclee67
makes no difference to them! :/ I asked the admissions tutor personally and she basically said if you have A's in science at gcse, regardless of as levels, you can't apply to the foundation course :/

:/ Southampton UEA and Leeds it is. Now to think of two biomed universities.
Original post by Besakt
:/ Southampton UEA and Leeds it is. Now to think of two biomed universities.

same! best of luck :smile: X
Reply 85
Original post by popsiclee67
same! best of luck :smile: X

Thanks you too. Decided on your choices yet?
Original post by Besakt
Thanks you too. Decided on your choices yet?

southampton, leeds, uea for med, leeds & nottingham for neuroscience :smile:
my college deadline is thursday so application is done!
Reply 87
I will call Notts tmrw but like okay , so if you have A,s in your gcse,s you are out ? Or is it specifically science GCSE ? I got 2 a*,s 2 a,s 3 b,s and 1 c . Got b,s in double science and maths. And oh my predictions : BBC

Reply 88
Original post by sumsum123
I will call Notts tmrw but like okay , so if you have A,s in your gcse,s you are out ? Or is it specifically science GCSE ? I got 2 a*,s 2 a,s 3 b,s and 1 c . Got b,s in double science and maths. And oh my predictions : BBC

I would assume you are eligible as you have BB in the sciences and they require AA.
Reply 89
Original post by Besakt
I would assume you are eligible as you have BB in the sciences and they require AA.

So Notts do not accept A,s for science gcse,s :confused:? & thnx fo the info.
hey! i need some advice :frown: sud i still apply with my poor ukat ? i meet everything else, ps is good, reference is good :biggrin: and predicted grades and i have a lot of experience so sud i apply with an average of 522.5 :'( </3 give it a tryyyyy?! so confused :frown: help!!
Reply 91
Original post by sumsum123
So Notts do not accept A,s for science gcse,s :confused:? & thnx fo the info.

Yes, if you meet any of the GCSE requirements for the 5 year course you are not eligible.

"The A 108 course is a widening participation course for applicants who have been unable to attain the grades to apply directly to medicine through disadvantage. There are only 10 places.

The eligibility and academic criteria are on the web site below.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/foundationcourses/medicine-with-a-foundation-year-bmbs.aspx

If you meet them you are welcome to apply. If you are unsure about Group A as long as you meet 2 from Group B your application will be considered. All factors will be considered when deciding who to call for interview.

If you meet the GCSE requirements for the A 100 course an application would not be considered for A108.

GCSEs requirements for the A100 course
* At least 6 grade A's to include Chemistry, Biology and Physics (or the science double award)
* Grade A at AS-level Physics can compensate for a B at GCSE level
* Minimum of grade B in Maths and English Language"

That is the reply from the email I sent.
Reply 92
Just rang notts up they said no A's at gcse. So gutted cant apply
Is there a Leeds foundation course?
Reply 93
Original post by xXA786DXx

It's not exactly a foundation course as such but there is a scheme called A2L for leeds, which lower the grades down to ABB if you meet their criteria. But you have to meet their GCSE grades and work experience and everything other academic and non academic criteria.
Reply 94
I really wanted to apply to nottingham. So angry.
I don't see why having A's in science gcse limits you
Original post by Messi3

Original post by Messi3
Hi everyone,

I may be applying for Access to Leeds Medicine, but was wondering if its a big help or not, will it give me a higher chance of getting an offer?
And was wondering about the advantages/disadvantages?
Also does it count as 1 of my 4 options for medicine?

Thank you (:

Yes it will count as one of your 4 medicine choices.

No it won't make you any more likely. You still need to be a good candidate in order to get interviews and hopefully get into medical school.
Original post by xXA786DXx

hey. do you know if a Distinction or a distinction* would count as an A ?
Reply 98
Original post by Dr dolittlee

Original post by Dr dolittlee
hey. do you know if a Distinction or a distinction* would count as an A ?

I would assume so, best off contacting them direct :smile:
My predicted grades are ABB and I got abc for AS Levels. It's my third year of studying, which access courses am I eligible for?

Latest