The Student Room Group

Which are the best universities for studying law in France

Apart from the Sorbonne? Anybody with experience there?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by manousha
Apart from the Sorbonne? Anybody with experience there?

Panthéon-Sorbonne and Assass have by far the best rep for law. After that you'll need to look at factors other than reputation as there's very little, if anything, between them.

France doesn't really have 'prestigious' universities. La fac is for everybody (apart from one or two rare exceptions like Dauphine) so the clever Oxbridge style people go to the grandes écoles, which don't offer Law. Sciences Po has a law department, but I don't think they offer a three year law degree.
Reply 2
look at some rankings.
Original post by xmarilynx
Panthéon-Sorbonne and Assass have by far the best rep for law.

Yep.

SciencePo has a Law department and from what I understand it is possible to study Law at Science Po, but it seemed to be a little bit special. (E.g. it is not possible to start Law in your first year at Science Po.)

Considering Law, there are no Grande Ecoles, so all people go to University, (also the clever ones :wink: ).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I'd say Assas too ! It's THE university if you want to do law.
At ScPo you can only do Law master's level and above. Take a look at their website : http://master.sciences-po.fr/droit/en/content/courses
I study law at the Sorbonne (Panthéon-Sorbonne).
Well I really happy to study in Sorbonne University because they do not have weird politics opinion like in Assas, and when I can not come to school I can hear the programm with the CNED (I paid for CD) and you can't when you are in Assas.
Original post by xmarilynx
Panthéon-Sorbonne and Assass have by far the best rep for law. After that you'll need to look at factors other than reputation as there's very little, if anything, between them.

France doesn't really have 'prestigious' universities. La fac is for everybody (apart from one or two rare exceptions like Dauphine) so the clever Oxbridge style people go to the grandes écoles, which don't offer Law. Sciences Po has a law department, but I don't think they offer a three year law degree.

It is not right, it is difficult to enter in Panthéon Sorbonne (because a lot of people ask and they can not accept everyone) and more difficult to stay.
Reply 7
Original post by ParisianGirl
It is not right, it is difficult to enter in Panthéon Sorbonne (because a lot of people ask and they can not accept everyone) and more difficult to stay.

I am Parisian and this is nonsense. There are no entry requirements for the Sorbonne, you just need your Baccalauréat (which virtually everyone gets...).

To the OP, the best law schools are Science-Po and Assas. The former is more difficult to get into.
Original post by z0tx
I am Parisian and this is nonsense. There are no entry requirements for the Sorbonne, you just need your Baccalauréat (which virtually everyone gets...).

To the OP, the best law schools are Science-Po and Assas. The former is more difficult to get into.

Well you do not know what you are talking about, it is not because you are parisian you know all universities.
It is too ask they can not accept everyone with just the Baccalauréat.
You need 15/20 for be accept in Sorbonne University (believe me I know).
I have to tell in french for you can understand ?
And second point, it is more difficult than other universities too when you are there (it is really funny to see what people do in other universities).

The real selection in Assas is "Do you have money ? Do you have great relations ?".
(edited 12 years ago)
And for Science Po that is right it is really good, but not a lot of choice. Some people want to study other things (like me).
L'ENA is very good too but it is just for public law.
Reply 10
what zotx said

Did you even read what I put? I clearly stated that there are exceptions and that some universities are indeed selective. Sorry if I didn't name every single one.

ParisianGirl
And second point, it is more difficult than other universities too when you are there (it is really funny to see what people do in other universities).

Just plain insulting to the rest of us. I'd be very interested to know what makes you such an expert on "what people do at other universities" and what exactly makes them so inferior to you. It certainly isn't your level of English.
Reply 12
Well you do not know what you are talking about, it is not because you are parisian you know all universities.
It is too ask they can not accept everyone with just the Baccalauréat.
You need 15/20 for be accept in Sorbonne University (believe me I know).

The real selection in Assas is "Do you have money ? Do you have great relations ?".

1. Being Parisian, I have been through the French schooling system all my life, I have been through 'Admission Post-Bac', I have received advice from teachers on what to do after university, where to apply, what the entry requirements are, and believe me, the Sorbonne was always seen as a back-up choice, because you are basically guaranteed a place there. This is why French universities are not the excellent institutions they once were...

2. 15/20? Are you kidding me? You do realise this is the same entry requirement as, say, Oxford University? Quit fooling with us, I know people at the Sorbonne who didn't even get a Mention (thus under 12/20). You can't just lie about entry requirements to feel better about your university.

3. This is such a joke; I will not even waste my time answering this.
Oh my god, your education doesn't depend only on the fact, that your university has high entrance requirements.
And aren't 15/20 too low for Oxbridge?

(And yes, I know that Sorbonne is overrated.)
Original post by Nathanielle
Oh my god, your education doesn't depend only on the fact, that your university has high entrance requirements.

Apparently not. (in theory, anyway :dontknow:)

In order to make a competitive application to Oxford, students need to have already achieved, or expect to obtain, one of the following qualifications with the grades shown, or another equivalent.

French Baccalauréat or Option Internationale du Baccalauréat with an average score of at least 15.
Reply 15
Original post by Nathanielle

Not sure who are talking to, but in answer to your question: Oxford asks for 15/20, Cambridge asks for 16/20-17/20 depending on the subject. So no, 15/20 isn't too low for Oxford (see here).
Reply 16
Do they teach in French only?
Original post by aysha.19
Do they teach in French only?

Apart from a select few modules, yes, at undergraduate level in any case. You normally need B2 at a language test to study in France.

The exception is Sciences Po, which does offer some courses in English with beginner level French at some of its campuses (not Paris itself). That's not for Law though.
Reply 18
hi,

I would also be interested in studying law at Sorbonne, but it isn't really clear if you can enter the degree course in the 2nd/3rd year. Eg. I already have a university degree in another subject, not related to law; could I start in the 3rd year?

Schaul
Reply 19
Is it too late to apply for French universities?

My French assistant at school thinks I should apply :biggrin: I'd like to study Law or an International Relations course

Quick Reply

Latest