The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ish90an
I thought Cena actually made his point really well. Rock's meant to, from his POV at least, be this Hollywood guy who sold out and now only comes back to promote movies. So while Rock spends 20 minutes(15 of which are just random catch phrases) Cena comes out, says what he needs to(Dwayne is egoistical and selfish) and leaves without any fanfare. Cena had far more impact in advancing the storyline this week in 5 mins than Rock in 20, and underlined his point by telling Rock to "keep trending". As for winning the segment, Rock seemed genuinely rattled with the wrist notes shot and it will be interesting to see if he drops the boring 20 minute long chant trending he's done for the past 6 months and starts to shoot on Cena more like he talked about Cena being a stale character that hasn't changed at all.

I completely agree with you.

3 Champions, pretty much destroyed by Goldberg, nothing like making a wrestler abit overpowered (yeah i know evolution won but still)
Reply 5702
Original post by Mr Incredible
3 Champions, pretty much destroyed by Goldberg, nothing like making a wrestler abit overpowered (yeah i know evolution won but still)

If only the invasion worked out properly. People would've went bat**** at the Invasion PPV tag match - Taker, Kane, Austin, Angle and Jericho vs Booker T, DDP, RVD and Dudleyz (with Flair in their corner), and Goldberg comes out at the end.

Although I reckon initially what was supposed to happen was Triple H was to take the role Austin took - Triple H screws WWF at Invasion to join Steph and be the Alliance's power player.
Reply 5703
Reply 5704
I wonder, how loud do wrestlers call spots? Do the fans in the front few rows hear every move?

Obviously they've got to be loud enough for each other to hear, but not so loud to be obvious, and unless you're Randy Orton there aren't enough rest holds to whisper an entire match in your fellow wrestler's ear.
Alot of the time it's very subtle. A irish whip to the ropes might see the wrestler who's initiating the whip might give heads up for the next spot etc. I very much doubt the front row guys really here alot, if you take into account the crowd noise. All though the cameras on live shows sometimes pick up a few bits and pieces.
Reply 5706
Hey, does anyone know whether Cinemas, or any pubs bars in London will be showing Wrestlemania 28. Think it'd be great to watch what could be the best Wrestlemani for a long long time with other Wrestling fans
Reply 5707
Original post by whf555
Hey, does anyone know whether Cinemas, or any pubs bars in London will be showing Wrestlemania 28. Think it'd be great to watch what could be the best Wrestlemani for a long long time with other Wrestling fans

Has that happened before? I could never imagine a pub showing something 'poncy' like wrestling, and if I ever saw a cinema advertising WrestleMania my mind would be blown.
Where are they planning on hanging a Hell in a Cell at Mania in an outdoor/roofless arena?
I just read that Wade Barrett was actually booked to win the Money In The Bank match at this years WrestleMania, and they have apparently called off the entire match following Barrett's injury rather than book a different winner, which suggests that they are pretty set on pushing Barrett into the main event; he may well win it at the MITB pay-per-view later in the year now.

It makes sense as there had been hints at a future feud between Barrett and Sheamus for the World Heavyweight title until the injury, so maybe that's still the plan.

The fact that they seemed so set on Barrett winning it also made me wonder if they actually planned on having Barrett cashing it in during either Raw or SmackDown being filmed in London in April. Aren't they meant to be coming back here again in November? Maybe they plan to have Barrett cash in the MITB and win the title then? That would be a wonderful moment; the first ever English world champion and to do it in England!
Reply 5710
Original post by Hulk Hogan
Where are they planning on hanging a Hell in a Cell at Mania in an outdoor/roofless arena?

Don't worry, considering WWE nowadays, I'm sure they already haven't thought about that.

According to Jim Ross' blog:

[WWE] will build a massive structure to not only hold the ring lighting grid but the HIAC as well. It will be impressive I assure you.”
Original post by nonotrly
Has that happened before? I could never imagine a pub showing something 'poncy' like wrestling, and if I ever saw a cinema advertising WrestleMania my mind would be blown.

I've never heard of it being shown in cinemas here but they certainly show certain PPVs in some cinemas in Australia. It would probably be pretty cool to watch it in one.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I've never heard of it being shown in cinemas here but they certainly show certain PPVs in some cinemas in Australia. It would probably be pretty cool to watch it in one.

I know most branches of Rileys show Wrestlemania so that'd be your best bet. Or you could just order it?
Reply 5714

(Re-)Watching WrestleMania 2000 and came up to this match, these days it would be a surefire dud that stinks the place out, but it has a good promo (and female crowd reaction) from Val (wearing ref-towel); a pop, a pop, for Terri's entrance; a non-wrestling match that still worked and didn't drag, plus a few more pops; and an ending with one of the biggest pops of the night.

I could only think about Cena after that. His delivery in promos is downright nonexistent and his last two matches stunk the PPV out, and the crowd didn't really care. It got beat by Terri vs The Kat in a 'catfight' non-match and Val making a predictable promo. 12 years old.

Plus, having a commentator trying to steal everyone's thunder and doesn't say more than the same wrestler-specific soundbites, is obviously not a problem here.
(edited 12 years ago)

I could only think about Cena after that. His delivery in promos is downright nonexistent and his last two matches stunk the PPV out, and the crowd didn't really care.

I'm sorry, but have you not watched Cena's promos on Raw for the last two weeks against Rock? Cena was brilliant and easilly buried Dwayne. The WWE's plan of gradually turning the crowd back on to Cena is working a treat. Just listen for the Boos for The Rock on Raw last week, the break out of the chants "Cena" and "Toothfairy."
Reply 5716
I'm sorry, but have you not watched Cena's promos on Raw for the last two weeks against Rock? Cena was brilliant and easilly buried Dwayne. The WWE's plan of gradually turning the crowd back on to Cena is working a treat. Just listen for the Boos for The Rock on Raw last week, the break out of the chants "Cena" and "Toothfairy."

I watched the one where Rock did his usual promo shtick for about 10 minutes, then Cena came out and didn't really say anything, then left, then Rock finished the promo. Thus The Rock opened and closed the segment putting Cena down while Cena didn't really do anything.

Yes, arguably the third biggest star ever in Wrestling has been "buried" by John Cena because he got booed in Cena's hometown. /sarcasm.
Reply 5718
Original post by .Hannah
That is true actually come to think of it he only comes across as off when people ask him how about he got paid or asking about his favourite match again.

From this week's Q & A:

Q: What exactly does "Tough as they come" mean, is it a saying wrestlers use? For instance is Brock Lesnar "Tough as they come"?

Bonus dumb questions:

Spoiler

From this week's Q & A:

Q: What exactly does "Tough as they come" mean, is it a saying wrestlers use? For instance is Brock Lesnar "Tough as they come"?

Bonus dumb questions:

Spoiler

Hahahaha! It is funny that people have the opportunity to ask one of the best in-ring performers and someone who is very knowledgeable a question and they waste that opportunity with such nonsense.