The Student Room Group

Is it worth self-teaching D2 JUST for the A*?

I've having a bit of a mare deciding which modules to resit - it's so vital I get an A*.

Here are my modules as they stand: (OCR)

C1 99
C2 98
C3 92
C4 90
M1 68
S1 - 87

Total for single Maths: 534/600 (A*)

M2 - 64
S2 92
S3 - 73
FP1 91
FP2 86
FP3 - 77

Total for Further Maths: 483/600 (A)

The deadline is tomorrow and I'm looking at resitting FP2, FP3, and S3. I know a 92+ in either S3 or FP3 would take me over; but I just think no one could ever be confident of scoring 92+ UMS in an A2 Further Maths module...especially with the crazy grade boundaries S3 has.

However, people have said to me D2 is pretty easy and I know it counts towards the A* - the problem is I have no D1 knowledge whatsoever. To those who have done D2, would you say it's the easier than M2, FP2, and S2? I know stuff like this is always going to be subjective (hell, I myself found FP3 easier than M1).

Anyway, good idea to take D2 just for the A*? If so, how long do you reckon it'd take to self-teach it? (I know I'll need a fair bit of D1 knowledge)

Or am I just ignorantly thinking it's considerably easier than the others and would be better off focusing solidly at FP2/3 and S3?
I'm not sure this applies to all exam boards but I thought to get the A* (definite in edexel) all you need is 90+ UMS in C3 and C4, so in theory if you got 4 Bs and 2 As in C3 and C4 (90+ UMS) you're guaranteed a A* overall. You should check the website. I know you need 480 UMS points overall to get an A in that 480, 180 UMS points form C3 and C4, to get the A* :smile:
It's a bad idea. You'd be putting on an additional workload, and you wouldn't necessarily be able to cope. You only need to get 92 in any of M2, S3, or FP3 as it stands. You'll be far more likely to get 92+ in one of those than if you did an extra module. You can never be sure of a good mark - but you will likely hurt your chances by doing D2 again.

An option would also be for you to drop the FP2 retake, for similar reasons - the content of FP2 is not repeated across any of the other modules you're doing (as far as I know) - so it's just extra work. Since you only need 92 in a single module, again, I reckon it will hurt your chances overall.
Reply 3
Your A level would use M1 and M2

You need to re-sit FP2 and FP3 for the A* but your S2 would count

Why do you think that you need another Applied Module

Or were you thinking D2 would be more accessible than the FPs
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by translucent
I'm not sure this applies to all exam boards but I thought to get the A* (definite in edexel) all you need is 90+ UMS in C3 and C4, so in theory if you got 4 Bs and 2 As in C3 and C4 (90+ UMS) you're guaranteed a A* overall. You should check the website. I know you need 480 UMS points overall to get an A in that 480, 180 UMS points form C3 and C4, to get the A* :smile:

He's talking about the Further Maths, where you need an average of 90% across 3 'A2' modules (which for him means M2, S2, S3, FP2, FP3, and D2 if he chooses to do that).
Reply 5
Oh and

Unless OCR is different to AQA ... you have to take a 1 if you want to take a 2 so no D1 would mean no D2
Reply 6
Original post by CHY872
It's a bad idea. You'd be putting on an additional workload, and you wouldn't necessarily be able to cope. You only need to get 92 in any of M2, S3, or FP3 as it stands. You'll be far more likely to get 92+ in one of those than if you did an extra module. You can never be sure of a good mark - but you will likely hurt your chances by doing D2 again.

An option would also be for you to drop the FP2 retake, for similar reasons - the content of FP2 is not repeated across any of the other modules you're doing (as far as I know) - so it's just extra work. Since you only need 92 in a single module, again, I reckon it will hurt your chances overall.

I dunno, I just feel like I'll never be at a stage where I'll be confident of getting 92+ in FP3/S3 (I'm definitely not taking M2 again, ha!). Hence my last-minute thoughts of opting to take D2 - apparently it's easier than the other modules to get 100 UMS in.

Original post by TenOfThem
Oh and

Unless OCR is different to AQA ... you have to take a 1 if you want to take a 2 so no D1 would mean no D2

I think you can, a few people from my school last year did S4 without S3 (they found S4 easier for some reason).

But as I said above, it's not that I need to take any more modules, I've just heard D2 is pretty darn easy compared to the likes of the other A2 units. And right now, I'm looking at the easiest/most efficient way of achieveing an A* grade.
Reply 7
Original post by MrProb

I think you can, a few people from my school last year did S4 without S3 (they found S4 easier for some reason).

Yep, sorry ... you are right
Reply 8
Original post by TenOfThem
Yep, sorry ... you are right

Taking higher units e.g. M5 before M4 is allowed in some cases but not in others.

With AQA, once you have taken FP1, you can take FP2,3,4 in any order.
Once you have done M1,M2 you can take M5 without M3 or M4 for example

but in the case of decision maths i think you have to d1 first or at least it is strongly advised to do so.
Reply 9
Ha, I did the same modules. Man, just forget about D2 - a lot of people have admitted it's barely studying maths, and it probably won't help you at university (I imagine).

Just focus on one or two modules (consider dropping/withdrawing from FP2 as someone else said above), S3 should be crackable and FP3 will come with practice.

It helps that you're taking it in June too (I also did the papers in January); I'm sure the papers will either be easier than the January series or the grade boundaries will be more generous. The cohort of candidates are generally weaker in the June exam cycle than the January cycle - especially for the A2 FM units (such as S3 and FP3).

Seriously, just dedicate your time to S3 and FP3 and I'm sure 92+ UMS is well within your grasp in either of these.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest