The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do Bangladeshis hate Pakistanis?

I was reading about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Bangladesh_atrocities in which a genocide was carried out against Bangladeshis by Pakistanis in 1971. 3m Bengalis were systematically wiped out and 200,000 Bengali women were raped by the Pakistani army. In the UK there doesn't seem to be much animosty against Pakistanis from the Bangladeshi community. Have they forgiven them? It was only in 1971 so a lot of the Bengali immigrants in the UK would have fled/grown up in Bangladesh during this period.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well i dont know about bangladesh. But bengali youth in uk would rather hang out and associate themselves with Pakistanis rather than Indians. Ironically it was the indians helped them out in forming a new country and getting independence. Maybe religion always has 1st priority.

just my experience.
Original post by sachinisgod
Well i dont know about bangladesh. But bengali youth in uk would rather hang out and associate themselves with Pakistanis rather than Indians. Ironically it was the indians helped them out in forming a new country and getting independence. Maybe religion always has 1st priority.

just my experience.

Do Sikhs hang around with Hindus or do Sikhs hang around with other Sikhs?
Original post by Brutal Honesty
Do Sikhs hang around with Hindus or do Sikhs hang around with other Sikhs?

Both. Well everyone hangs out with everybody. My best friend is a Sikh and our group in college has many Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. If you look at the whole picture then everyone is ok with each other and personal opinions dont really come into the open.
Reply 4
Do Poles hate Germans? Do Koreans hate the Japanese? Do the Irish hate the British? Do people in East Timor hate Indonesians?

Some do, but I imagine most can distinguish between atrocities committed under the name of the state and individual people with no role in the atrocities committed.
(edited 12 years ago)
there is still some resentment, i find.

What I am interested in is finding out why the poverty rates of Bangladeshi community in UK is 55% and in Pakistani community, 45%.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
there are two seperate mosques on the same road in my town, one for bengalis and one for pakistanis because apparently they can't go to the same one
Original post by Ferdowsi
Do Poles hate Germans? Do Koreans hate the Japanese? Do the Irish hate the British? Do people in East Timor hate Indonesians?

Some do, but I imagine most can distinguish between atrocities committed under the name of the state and individual people with no role in the atrocities committed.

This was more recent compared to those. If you look at Americans in the 50s and 60s they did bear a noticeable resentment/hatred towards the Japanese after witnessing what occurred in WW2. This occurred in 1971 so many Bengalis in Britain grew up in Bangladesh when these atrocities took place. There also seems to have a casual racism held towards Bengalis from the general Pakistani population which is why there wasn't strong domestic opposition to the war in Pakistan.
Reply 8
This was more recent compared to those. If you look at Americans in the 50s and 60s they did bear a noticeable resentment/hatred towards the Japanese after witnessing what occurred in WW2. This occurred in 1971 so many Bengalis in Britain grew up in Bangladesh when these atrocities took place. There also seems to have a casual racism held towards Bengalis from the general Pakistani population which is why there wasn't strong domestic opposition to the war in Pakistan.

I'm not sure, although Ireland was going on during the 70s, East Timor was very recent and Poland was under USSR control until the 1990s because of WW2. I dunno, I'm not Pakistani or Bengali so I cannot answer properly.
Original post by KKKKatie
there are two seperate mosques on the same road in my town, one for bengalis and one for pakistanis because apparently they can't go to the same one

That might be more to do with language than racism.
Reply 10
Perhaps there might be some resentment between the older generation? Bangladeshis who are born here tend to get on pretty well with Pakistanis.
Reply 11
That might be more to do with language than racism.

this might sound stupid, but i thought the religious ceremonys were held in arabic?
Reply 12

They both might be from different sects like protestants and catholics in Christianity. I'm assuming the majority of bengali muslims are of a different sect to the majority of pakistani muslims.
Reply 13
From what I can gather there is some tension among the older generation - those affected by the war- however among young British-Bangladeshi's and British-Pakistani's there's next to nothing.

I know many couples or people between the ages of 15-20 (maybe more) who have dated and one has been Pakistani and the other Bangladeshi. Perhaps this is due to the similarities in cultures and religion but such relationships/marriages are occurring far more frequently

I myself am British-Bangladeshi and have many Pakistani friends and there never seems to be a problem.
I'm not sure, although Ireland was going on during the 70s, East Timor was very recent and Poland was under USSR control until the 1990s because of WW2. I dunno, I'm not Pakistani or Bengali so I cannot answer properly.

There's already strong links between Britain/Ireland and Irish people living in the UK for a long time before the 1970s. Plus the same language is shared and they border each other. Northern Ireland is basically the link between the UK and Ireland as well with a mixed Protestant/British and Irish/Catholic population. Also you can't really compare the worst genocide since WW2 and 200,000-400,000 women raped with what happened in Northern Ireland.
Original post by Waqar.
They both might be from different sects like protestants and catholics in Christianity. I'm assuming the majority of bengali muslims are of a different sect to the majority of pakistani muslims.

Nope as far as i can tell both are Sunni muslims. Just the language they speak is different.
this might sound stupid, but i thought the religious ceremonys were held in arabic?

There's a Nigerian mosque near me and they do the sermon in Yoruba but the prayer itself is held in Arabic.
Reply 17

What this guy said!

Also just for the record, Indians and Pakistanis dont hate each other either, only the retarded backward minded can ever think like this!

EDIT: Another thing, I love banter with Bangladeshi and Indian friends :biggrin: All done in jest :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
All of my Bangladeshi friends in Manchester - no! But my flatmates dad - yes! We had a dispute with our previous landlord, he has is a Gujrati Muslim... while on the phone to the estate agents, my flatmates dad assumed that the landlord was Pakistani and stated that only a Pakistani could do this... the estate agent laughed and so 'no sir I assure you he isn't Pakistani' but my flatmates dad was having none of it! I was so offended, I told my flatmate to tell her dad to calm down, she didn't seem to care.

Conclusion - both can be racist towards each other - I'm using a stupid isolated example and even that doesn't affect the way I see Bangladeshis, it only affects the way I see my flatmate and her dad.
Reply 19
How come?

Latest