The Student Room Group

The Oxford rejection - Is this really it?

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Johof;36170607"]
I'll need to read Nightwatch again then. But to be honest the book from the Watch series which I love the best is Thud. I never quite realised how good and versatile Pratchett was with atmosphere-creation until I read it and actually found myself getting scared by certain parts.

Thinking about it now, it's weird how I can actually remember stuff like this, despite having read most of the Discworld books around five years ago. It must be the sign of a good author.

I'd say Nightwatch is probably my favourite of his books, though it's a close run thing.

I tend to re-read them periodically, every time i'm ill and stuck in bed I head stright to the Pratchett shelf! :biggrin:

Oh yes I suppose that's an advantage us Singaporeans have when it comes to others. I've heard how Singaporean males are more mature due to their army experience, but I can't really compare it much to others because, you see, in Singapore there are only other Singaporean males I can compare us to. :tongue:

Oh I imagine it would definitely mature you! In the UK everyone goes to Uni straight from school and don't have much of a chance to see the real world, and even those who take gap years don't usually do anything meaningful, I don't see how backpacking does much to mature you!

As for a job in the UK.. If I'm on a non-bonded scholarship I most certainly would! London is such an amazing global city that I'm sure that I can find many jobs to pursue there. My only worries would be the cost of living and the other social aspects like crime and racism though. I have no idea how much racism Chinese people really face in London (and the UK in general).

I have genuinely never seen anyone do or say anything racist about a chinese person in London, I think if your chinese your probably the least likely to expereince it. And really racism isn't a problem for anyone I know, I imagine you'd spend your time among other educated and properly brought up people, you won't get racism from them and certainly not from other students.

What your parents told you is a lot different from what mine told me when I first started discussing what career I wanted. As I already said, I initially wanted to be a film director. But my parents were really against it (my mom in particular); they wanted me to pursue law. You see, I'm a debater and I suppose the natural course for a debater is law.

Mine didn't discourage me from wanting to be a film director when I went through that stage but I think they were pretty gald when I dropped it! :tongue:

Would you be interested in Law? There are lots of other jobs that require good communication skills, for example what I want to go into (oh and by the way, can't remeber if I mentioned this at any point but I've been offered the internshop which I was interviewed for, i'm so happy :smile: )

We had many, many heated discussions over this and eventually my mom told me that I could do whatever I wanted in university. I suppose it's because she realised that if you spent a few years doing a subject you hate you would have essentially wasted your life in university. Furthermore, a bachelor's is only a foundation. There are so many ways to branch out after that.

Exactly, people go into all sorts of professions from all different routes, i know someone who studied History who now works in the City for eg. and people go into Law with every degree under the sun!

March... That's when all the A Level results come out right? How was the paper?

No that's only when results for the January exams come out, the rest from the June exams come out in August and universities get all the results from both exam sessions then.
Reply 121
Original post by Grenville
I disagree. On my friend's offer letter there was a confirmation slip and it said: "Please indicate whether you are going to take up your place as we may be able to offer it to other applicants if you choose not to. But in most cases, a rejection is a rejection.

That's more to do with pooling and open applications. Unless they have legitimately made a mistake (rare, but it happens, 2 candidates with the same name etc.) in sending the rejection letter, a rejection is a rejection.
Reply 122
Original post by Historophilia
I'd say Nightwatch is probably my favourite of his books, though it's a close run thing. I tend to re-read them periodically, every time i'm ill and stuck in bed I head stright to the Pratchett shelf! :biggrin:

At least you have a Pratchett shelf! I only have a meagre few of his books; most of what I know of him was from library books. I must say that I became quite a constant visitor to the school library when I discovered his books. :tongue:

Ah... All this talk about Pratchett makes me think that I should start reading him again!

Oh I imagine it would definitely mature you! In the UK everyone goes to Uni straight from school and don't have much of a chance to see the real world, and even those who take gap years don't usually do anything meaningful, I don't see how backpacking does much to mature you!

Thanks. :smile: In some ways I think that becoming an officer was a pretty good use of my two years in the army. Certainly taught me a lot about myself. You have no idea where your limits are until you find your feet being bitten by hundreds of sandflies while you lie cold and wet on a sheet that's bare protection from the stinked up mud beneath you.

And that was in the first few months of training. :tongue:

I have genuinely never seen anyone do or say anything racist about a chinese person in London, I think if your chinese your probably the least likely to expereince it. And really racism isn't a problem for anyone I know, I imagine you'd spend your time among other educated and properly brought up people, you won't get racism from them and certainly not from other students.

That's great to know. It's not so much the students I worry about as it is the grittier parts of London. You know, if you want to go out with some friends to drink somewhere, are there any places which you shouldn't venture out to?

I suppose that's something I'll get to know better when I do reach London. I'm sure UCL folk will be very informative!

Mine didn't discourage me from wanting to be a film director when I went through that stage but I think they were pretty gald when I dropped it! :tongue:

I've never really dropped it actually. :colondollar: It's a small dream that one day when I've put off enough money from my career and have retired somewhere nice I can try my hand out at filming again. I just think the silver screen's allure is too strong to resist.

Would you be interested in Law? There are lots of other jobs that require good communication skills, for example what I want to go into (oh and by the way, can't remeber if I mentioned this at any point but I've been offered the internshop which I was interviewed for, i'm so happy :smile: )

Exactly, people go into all sorts of professions from all different routes, i know someone who studied History who now works in the City for eg. and people go into Law with every degree under the sun!

Yes actually. I think law's a very interesting subject, and being an intern at a law firm for a short stint helped me to see just how intellectually stimulating it is. It also has the added advantage of being such a versatile degree!

You got the internship? Congratulations! So what's your job scope going to be and how long will it last for?

No that's only when results for the January exams come out, the rest from the June exams come out in August and universities get all the results from both exam sessions then.

I see.. Forgive me for my ignorance, so does that mean that all those people who have been given conditional offers by Oxford are only going to take their exams in June and will get their results only this August?
Is anyone reapplying next year?
Original post by tigerlilygem
Is anyone reapplying next year?

I might, depends on if I get an offer from LSE and what my grades are like on results day but I don't really wanna pull out of my offers that late so I dunno. Plus a year of just working full-time with all my mates gone to uni and that would be **** tbh
Reply 125
Nope I'd be way too old! Off to Warwick :biggrin: May apply for postgrad if I can afford it which is highly unlikely!
Original post by JCC-MGS
I might, depends on if I get an offer from LSE and what my grades are like on results day but I don't really wanna pull out of my offers that late so I dunno. Plus a year of just working full-time with all my mates gone to uni and that would be **** tbh

Same! I'm thinking if I get great results come August, then I'll pull out of RHUL and reapply for Oxford, but it would be miserable being at home and working while everyone else is going off doing new things and meeting new people :frown: And I love RHUL anyways. What other offers do you have? And what subject?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by selit
Where did you apply ? I also applied for Chemistry at CC and got a score of 4 out of 5 which didnt mean a lot..I would like to reapply,so it would of been helpful to know why I dropped a point.

Hey me too! I went for St John's but they didn't tell me what it was I did wrong either... Christ Church? I'm thinking of that college if I reapply. Bugger, have you already planned what you want to do during your gap year?
Original post by selit
No Corpus. I think I will apply for a job,to keep some sort of routine going. What about yourself ? What A levels have you taken ?

Ditto, applying for a bunch of things like volunteering, year in industry etc. I'm currently doing Further maths, chemistry and biology. And you? I still feel a gap year would only happen if I got decent grades though. I don't think I can be bothered if I scored A*A*AA or less :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending