The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2680
Original post by TheBritishBloke
Yeah, I can't wait until the 21st December when the whole men/women equal insurance comes in. I got quoted £6k on my own, or £1.8k on my own if I chopped my penis off.

Interesting :beard: Didn'r realise that was when the insurance was going to change. I should have my test passed around November so will just put off buying a car and insurance until January.
Original post by Mess.
Interesting :beard: Didn'r realise that was when the insurance was going to change. I should have my test passed around November so will just put off buying a car and insurance until January.

Well that's the deadline date for it to change; there was a rumour going around saying that it'd change on January 1st 2012, but now they just have to make it law on or before 21st December 2012.
Original post by Mess.

You do realise the price isn't dropping for guys, only going up for women?
So there isn't much point in waiting, it will still be the same price if you are male.
Reply 2683
Original post by redferry
You do realise the price isn't dropping for guys, only going up for women?
So there isn't much point in waiting, it will still be the same price if you are male.

I understand that but there might be some places that do drop their prices depending on certain factors so it is best to wait and check as I'll more than likely be paying a fortune anyway :dontknow:
Reply 2684
Yeah, I can't wait until the 21st December when the whole men/women equal insurance comes in. I got quoted £6k on my own, or £1.8k on my own if I chopped my penis off.

i very much doubt u have one considering the car you drive
Original post by Mess.
I understand that but there might be some places that do drop their prices depending on certain factors so it is best to wait and check as I'll more than likely be paying a fortune anyway :dontknow:

Why would an insurance company drop their prices when they could just make more money off the back of it?

I would suggest going to a company that installs a box in your car to monitor your driving, that is the best way to cut costs.

I will also point you to the fact costs for men aren't going to go down, costs for women are just going to go up. So not much point in waiting really. Sorry to dash your hopes...
Reply 2687
Why would an insurance company drop their prices when they could just make more money off the back of it?

I would suggest going to a company that installs a box in your car to monitor your driving, that is the best way to cut costs.

I don't know as I don't work in insurance (yet) but there might be potential to entice more people by offering slightly less due to 'x'. The box thing is what managed to get my insurance down to £3000. The costs are pathetic, I live in a low risk area and will be working in a low risk job. I am also not an 18 year old moron trying to show off to other moronic friends.

Then again, this is just derailing this thread :h:
Original post by Mess.
I don't know as I don't work in insurance (yet) but there might be potential to entice more people by offering slightly less due to 'x'. The box thing is what managed to get my insurance down to £3000. The costs are pathetic, I live in a low risk area and will be working in a low risk job. I am also not an 18 year old moron trying to show off to other moronic friends.

Then again, this is just derailing this thread :h:

Yes but unfortunately a lot of male drivers are. My insurance is still sky high and I'm female and over 21 now. And I drive a KA worth about 100 quid. It's an absolute joke. As fast as it should be going down with time the cost of insurance is rising.

Back onto the thread topic - second hand ford KA, best first car I could have asked for, and mega cheap too, especially on fuel costs (not to mention very reliable AND you can actually fit 5 dive cylinders in the boot).
I will also point you to the fact costs for men aren't going to go down, costs for women are just going to go up. So not much point in waiting really. Sorry to dash your hopes...

I thought they said something like women's will go up by 80% of the difference and ours will come down by like 20% (which just means the insurance companies will make even more profit than before).

Original post by bad8oy
i very much doubt u have one considering the car you drive

Jealous much?
Reply 2690
Seems to be a prediction that female insurance will go up 25% and male will drop by 10% :beard:
Original post by moviebuffateer

Well clearly you're an imbecile, it's my car, I pay for it, but it's in her name as I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford the insurance.
I thought they said something like women's will go up by 80% of the difference and ours will come down by like 20% (which just means the insurance companies will make even more profit than before).

Nope they're just going to put the womens up so it is in line with the mens. So even more profit than in your scenario, and a lose lose situation for all...hooray -_-

Also why did you get a new car as your first car?? So expensive! o_O
Mine was less than a grand and its been brilliant.
Nope they're just going to put the womens up so it is in line with the mens. So even more profit than in your scenario, and a lose lose situation for all...hooray -_-

Also why did you get a new car as your first car?? So expensive! o_O
Mine was less than a grand and its been brilliant.

Because I'd seen the amount of problems my sister had with getting a sub-£1k car as her first car. It cost more to get it past it's MOT than it was worth; whereas doing it the way I have I've got a warranty, 3 years free servicing, free AA breakdown cover and a car where everything actually works haha.

I used to drive my sisters car and thought it was a good little runner, I've only had my new car a week; but when I got into my sisters car yesterday to move it off the drive, it was absolutely horrible in comparison. The clutch was really heavy, it whined, the gearbox was clunky; ugh.

All-in-all, at the end of the 2 years this car will have cost me £6k, but I'm getting a heck of a lot more car for my money; so I'm happy :smile:
Reply 2694
Well clearly you're an imbecile, it's my car, I pay for it, but it's in her name as I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford the insurance.

I don't know why people keep challenging you with that car, they're Fiesta money - if you had a Fiesta people wouldn't be saying anything.
Because I'd seen the amount of problems my sister had with getting a sub-£1k car as her first car. It cost more to get it past it's MOT than it was worth; whereas doing it the way I have I've got a warranty, 3 years free servicing, free AA breakdown cover and a car where everything actually works haha.

I used to drive my sisters car and thought it was a good little runner, I've only had my new car a week; but when I got into my sisters car yesterday to move it off the drive, it was absolutely horrible in comparison. The clutch was really heavy, it whined, the gearbox was clunky; ugh.

All-in-all, at the end of the 2 years this car will have cost me £6k, but I'm getting a heck of a lot more car for my money; so I'm happy :smile:

You just need to get the car checked out properly before you buy it =/ I've had a total of about £200 work done if that since I have got it, and that was 3 and a half years ago now. Just took it on a monster trip round Cornwall and it did just fine (other than a brief clutch failure where I had to stop on a very steep hill with loads of dive gear and 5 people in my car (its a four seater)). I got all of them (well ok RAC cover not AA) when I bought my car too. It has never broken down. The biggest problem I have with it is a little rust underneath.

I just don't understand why you would spend all that money on a car that really only gets you from A to B. If I had a new valuable car I would have to be so much more careful with it. I wouldn't be able to overload it or fill it with dive gear or dogs or drive over 1 mph over potholes. Not to mention it would cost a lot more if I crashed.

Now compare that £6000 to mine, which cost me around £3000 INCLUDING INSURANCE the first two years I had it. She's a good little runner when I'm the only one in her, does 110mph down the motorway no problem (accidentally found this out the other day....I do not in any way condone driving that fast, I was just desperate for the toilet and the motorway was practically empty). Yeah ok maybe she's not as smooth to drive, but when I think about that, what, must be at least 5 grand saved that could be spent on other things (alcohol, holidays, music festivals (she takes me to those too) generally enjoying life) then I am very very very happy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
I don't know why people keep challenging you with that car, they're Fiesta money - if you had a Fiesta people wouldn't be saying anything.

In terms of buying one outright, yeah they're pretty much the same. But when doing it on a PCP it was ridiculous, the best I could get was a Silver Zetec S for more than what I'm paying for this high-end DS3.
You just need to get the car checked out properly before you buy it =/ I've had a total of about £200 work done if that since I have got it, and that was 3 and a half years ago now. Just took it on a monster trip round Cornwall and it did just fine (other than a brief clutch failure where I had to stop on a very steep hill with loads of dive gear and 5 people in my car (its a four seater)). I got all of them (well ok RAC cover not AA) when I bought my car too. It has never broken down. The biggest problem I have with it is a little rust underneath.

I just don't understand why you would spend all that money on a car that really only gets you from A to B. If I had a new valuable car I would have to be so much more careful with it. I wouldn't be able to overload it or fill it with dive gear or dogs or drive over 1 mph over potholes. Not to mention it would cost a lot more if I crashed.

Now compare that £6000 to mine, which cost me around £3000 INCLUDING INSURANCE the first two years I had it. She's a good little runner when I'm the only one in her, does 110mph down the motorway no problem (accidentally found this out the other day....I do not in any way condone driving that fast, I was just desperate for the toilet and the motorway was practically empty). Yeah ok maybe she's not as smooth to drive, but when I think about that, what, must be at least 5 grand saved that could be spent on other things (alcohol, holidays, music festivals (she takes me to those too) generally enjoying life) then I am very very very happy.

Yeah I know, I guess my sister's just been unlucky with the one she picked (although she's a ridiculously aggressive driver, she revs 3k just to set off hah). I completely get what you mean, as I had the same thoughts for the two weeks before I got it, I was trying to think whether the extra money's worth it for the car; whereas if I totalled this car I'm out £15k (Although I've got GAP insurance too) and my insurance would sky rocket, or if I total an £800 car, I can just go out and buy another one the next day without having to claim it on insurance.
Reply 2697
Original post by Sockhead
Hey there
Thanks for the reply :smile:

Just as you replied I returned home after placing a deposit on a used 206 LX 2003 3DR with 60K miles. Its in spotless condition xD Picking it up on wednesday
Im getting the timing belt and water pump changed just to be safe

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with them. Hopefully I've struck a good deal here :colondollar:

Thanks again

How did it go then?

All well with it I hope.
Reply 2698

Jealous much?

lol actually no i was being serious ive no need to be jealous of that ahahahahahha. its girls car like a mini not to mention it dont move anywhere.
Original post by bad8oy
lol actually no i was being serious ive no need to be jealous of that ahahahahahha. its girls car like a mini not to mention it dont move anywhere.

You must genuinely struggle in life; since when were Mini's girl cars? What car do you own that's so amazing, exactly?

It doesn't move anywhere? It has 120hp and only weighs a tonne, and does 0-60 in under 8 seconds, yeah; definitely doesn't move anywhere.