The Student Room Group

21st birthday with no friends?

Hi all,

My 21st birthday is in less then a week and i really dont know what to do. I literally dont have friends to celebrate with apart from say one but what am i supposed to do?

This will be my first birthday in a long time without celebrating it with a bunch of friends and its my 21st.

Im really down about this i just want my 21st to be special..

I was wondering how those who dont have much friends celebrated their 21st?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Age is only a number, of course its nice to celebrate it.

But look forward to future plans and don't dwell.
Reply 2
Don't make such a big deal out of it. It's only a birthday. There are much more important things to be concerned about than one day of the year.
Reply 3
Just do what you want, go see a film (by yourself if you want), go for a meal, watch a film, or buy yourself a present!
Reply 4
What happened to their friends who spent your previous birthdays with you?
Reply 5
Awh, I'll come if you want.
Original post by T-Toe
Awh, I'll come if you want.

Ditto!
Is there anything you've been wanting to do that can be done alone? Maybe skydiving or a fun holiday... something along those lines.

Don't let it get you down, anyway. Birthdays are a semi-artificial, fairly meaningless construct. It's just like any other day!
I just had a pub meal with my family on my 21st, nothing wrong with that.
Reply 9
I had a meal with my gf and a Chinese man sung happy birthday to me
My 21st was recently and i didn't do anything. Not because i have no friends, unfortunately it fell during the university holidays and all of my friends had gone home. I stayed in halls by myself because i don't really have a home to go to.

Most people have really special events or celebrate with their friends and family, whereas i spent the day alone and didn't get a single card or phone call, only Facebook messages. I felt like **** at the time, especially when people would ask what i did for my birthday. But you know what? It's only 1 day of the year. There are bigger things to get worked up about.
Reply 11
It's my 21st on Saturday, and all (bar a couple of my friends) are at uni revising for exams and what not and can't really come home. Soooo... I'm going to them! They don't know about it, but I'll surprise them! :wink:
Reply 12
I plan to spend my 21st in the corner of a dark room muttering to myself, a bit like Gollum.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

My 21st birthday is in less then a week and i really dont know what to do. I literally dont have friends to celebrate with apart from say one but what am i supposed to do?

This will be my first birthday in a long time without celebrating it with a bunch of friends and its my 21st.

Im really down about this i just want my 21st to be special..

I was wondering how those who dont have much friends celebrated their 21st?

Thanks

If you invited me when I start uni this year (as I'm living at home now), I would honestly come. :smile: Everyone deserves to have someone, not just for birthdays (I never do anything special for them) but just to spend some time with. What about a holiday out by yourself? :smile: That'd be amazing I think! You'd be able to meet some people and everything! :biggrin:
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Ditto!

Me three :smile:
I'm not a student or anything but my birthday is coming up in a few months and I'm dreading it. People keep asking me what I'm doing and I just say nothing coz no one would come. My parents have always been very over protective of me so I've never been to a party but would love one for my 21st. I'm not having one tho coz I know no one would come apart from my boyfriend and maybe my best friend if she isn't busy. My parents keep talking to me about it suggesting something with them in the day and a family meal plus my boyfriend at night which is what we do every year and I'm so bored of it. I don't know what I want to do but I want to do something crazy and fun for once. Right now I just wish it was already over...
Reply 16
Original post by Andersonh1
I'm not a student or anything but my birthday is coming up in a few months and I'm dreading it. People keep asking me what I'm doing and I just say nothing coz no one would come. My parents have always been very over protective of me so I've never been to a party but would love one for my 21st. I'm not having one tho coz I know no one would come apart from my boyfriend and maybe my best friend if she isn't busy. My parents keep talking to me about it suggesting something with them in the day and a family meal plus my boyfriend at night which is what we do every year and I'm so bored of it. I don't know what I want to do but I want to do something crazy and fun for once. Right now I just wish it was already over...

I think there's a lot of pressure (especially on NYE and your 21st) to have "the greatest night ever" and have a party with 300 friends, but honestly it's your birthday do what you want with you who you want. It's my 21st this year and I'm thinking of bringing a handful of mates up here to Brum going out and staying over in a hotel or something.
Reply 17
Pretty much the same thing happened to me it was my 21st birthday at the start of the year and most of my friends couldn't make it so it kinda sucked not being able to do much. I almost had to spend it completely alone but even in the end I only spent it with one friend.

But in the end it was fine, so I guess you shouldn't be so worried as long as you have at least a few people with you it'll be fun :3
Anyway I'm sure people will come :smile:
I feel you, but it kinda suck to be all alone on your birthday. Today is my 21st and i am feeling the same. :frown:
I can feel you :frown: today is my 21st birthday and I have no friends to celebrate. It kinda suck. Wish i had some good friends.

Quick Reply