The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why do you care about money so much think about the people in your life that is important to you then money.
Reply 81
my friend is only just 18 and is earning £21k pa having just left college, another friend i have whose just finished his PHD is earning £65k pa ... id personally take the latter...
i was working in lloyds on 150 pound a day just for doing ppi work...btw they still recruiting now so if you want that job holla...
Original post by Norfolkadam
I concur with most of the replies, I don't have a degree and I'm on £20,000 a year, it's nothing that special. I live comfortably but I've hardly got money to burn.

I loved the juxtaposition of that with the gif in your signature
Reply 84
People who upload music videos of themselves on YOUTUBE (most of them prob don't have degrees)...gettin recognised by 1/2 million viewers...then BAM! you become the next Justin Bieber or Jessie J!:eek:

Yea degree or no degree, it about the EFFORT u put in your WORK:biggrin:
Reply 85
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
It makes me feel like what's the point of considering University, especially when he's earning that as a starting salary in the job. ...

I feel like c**p, because I'm 23 and considering going back into education for 4 more years, yet he's earning a decent salary without a degree or much college study.

What do you think..?

Im in the same position as you. Im trying to do a 2nd degree which will take up another few years of life and lots of money while other idiots for back at school have high paying jobs despite never passing a high school exam. Its depressing it really is.
Reply 86
Original post by Octohedral
The point of a degree is to learn an academic subject.

Sadly, the government have decided to push half the population through academia, and it's pointless. If you want to be an academic, do Chemistry. If you want to be a plumber, get an apprenticeship. If you want to be a banker, get a low paid banking job / apprenticeship and work your way up.

Obviously this doesn't always work in real life - many jobs, for some unknown reason, want graduates. I can understand, for example, maths and banking, but what is the point in spending three years studying archaeology, at the taxpayers' expense, just so you can start a career in management at Tescos? (actual example).

I DON'T GET IT.

/rant

Probably because the degree in archaeology teaches people how to rationally construct arguments, communicate very well through written essays, back up their points with evidence, solve problems, work with others and work independently? + a load of other stuff.

You can learn this stuff through life as well, but employers can easily pick and choose in this job market and they are going to go for the relativley safer graduates that are more likley to have the kind of skills they are looking for.

I did a Physics degree, in work I haven't used anything I learned directly in my degree but I've used hell of a lot of the other skills I learned. Maxwells equations? They don't come up too often, assessing evidence and communicating it to others? Yep.
It makes me feel like what's the point of considering University, especially when he's earning that as a starting salary in the job. As far as I know, it's an Admin type assistant job, which his sister referred him to at her law firm in London. Maybe it is "who you know" and not "what you know" because he's seem to have done okay out of it. He used to work in a Factory doing different duties, from office work to helping in the main factory lifting/carrying/manufacturing etc.

I know he's a single case, but is it even worth getting into debt and going Uni these days? Especially when people can earn £18,000 starting salary in a job like that.
To be fair though, he is 24 years old working in an admin assistant job, but at the end of the day he's earning a decent salary, which could increase. He hasn't even got a degree, he was just working at the same place for a few years before his sister referred him to his new job.

I feel like c**p, because I'm 23 and considering going back into education for 4 more years, yet he's earning a decent salary without a degree or much college study.

What do you think..?

You must never have had a job?! Welcome to the real world. 8/8 management positions in my job have family connections, it's NOT a family business either.
It makes me feel like what's the point of considering University, especially when he's earning that as a starting salary in the job. As far as I know, it's an Admin type assistant job, which his sister referred him to at her law firm in London. Maybe it is "who you know" and not "what you know" because he's seem to have done okay out of it. He used to work in a Factory doing different duties, from office work to helping in the main factory lifting/carrying/manufacturing etc.

I know he's a single case, but is it even worth getting into debt and going Uni these days? Especially when people can earn £18,000 starting salary in a job like that.
To be fair though, he is 24 years old working in an admin assistant job, but at the end of the day he's earning a decent salary, which could increase. He hasn't even got a degree, he was just working at the same place for a few years before his sister referred him to his new job.

What do you think..?

I don't think £18,000 is that good for London is it?.
The majority of admin jobs in the public sector (starting at the lowest band) is around £13,500 in the rest of the UK. Add the London 'weighting' of say £3-5,000 and you see it isn't that great.
Reply 89
£18k is rubbish, as a civil engineer I can get £32k in an oil and gas job.
Reply 90
Original post by Deep456
I think there is more to a degree than just employment. A certain amount of prestige comes with it, you build friends/contacts. Add to that, knowledge can never be taken away from you.

Yeah, plus the prestige in the jobs you can get. Yeah, a manager at Tesco probably earns the same as me, but I'm helping build an aircraft carrier. An aircraft carrier. Basically when people say "what do you do?" I have an unnatural ammount of pride in the answer...

The kind of jobs you need a degree for, lawyers, engineers, doctors - these are all jobs that people are really proud of. Of course, being one of these things doesn't make you better and plenty of people who have degrees become managers in tesco etc. I wouldn't mind all that much tbh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by M1011
Most people aren't happy to have their worldly possessions fit in a backpack either, which I seem to recall you are. I think you need to accept that you have a, erm, unique outlook on the world which not many share.

“Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by bengalisoldier
Why do you care about money so much think about the people in your life that is important to you then money.

"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?"
(edited 11 years ago)
I do agree with you...career success is not always about how capable or hard working you are which is a shame. But I wouldn't get too stressed about other people, and just concentrate on what you want to do as a career, and have a long term plan . My degree ended up being quite relevant to my future career, even though I wasn't sure what I would end up doing initially. And even if it wasn't relevant, I don't regret going to uni for a second just for the experiences I had.
Reply 94
Original post by IRL
“Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”

Have you considered joining a monastery? :smile:
Reply 95
I was making £24000/y without any kind of degree or even much experience. I was lucky and got a really good job, where I enjoyed working and had a pretty good salary. Working about 6h a day, 5 days a week with a lot of spare time on my hands.

Non the less, I left it, and went back to school because I wanted to. Money isn't worth all, and going back to school has been one of my best decisions in the last couple of years. I might not be able to get that kind of job again but that's how it is. I might get something better, who knows.
Reply 96
Original post by FatCharlie
I was making £24000/y without any kind of degree or even much experience. I was lucky and got a really good job, where I enjoyed working and had a pretty good salary. Working about 6h a day, 5 days a week with a lot of spare time on my hands.

Non the less, I left it, and went back to school because I wanted to. Money isn't worth all, and going back to school has been one of my best decisions in the last couple of years. I might not be able to get that kind of job again but that's how it is. I might get something better, who knows.

well im glad you realised prostitution is not the answer
Reply 97
Original post by jus2sik
well im glad you realised prostitution is not the answer

Oh, angry because I were making more money than you?
Original post by FatCharlie

I think you've swallowed the education kool-aid. The point is to get a better job. If you just want to know stuff, there's www.amazon.co.uk
Reply 99
Original post by DynamicSyngery
I think you've swallowed the education kool-aid. The point is to get a better job. If you just want to know stuff, there's www.amazon.co.uk

I think that's a personal opinion. Studying in a group has benifits and you learn in a completely different way than when you study alone. Going to class and speaking to people will make you fluent in a new language for example much quicker than if you study it at home during your sparetime.

I never had an issue supporting myself and I'm quite happy with the jobs I've been able to get so far and I'm not bothered about getting a better job.

Latest