The Student Room Group

Preparing for BMAT

Hello,

I will take the BMAT on 7th of November 2012 and I want to ask, which are the most efficient preparation books for it? I bought the official guide. I can say it was quite expensive for only 30 scientific questions and some tips here and there.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

If you look at that book and use the online resources provided by Cambridge Assessment it should be more than enough to get a good result.
Original post by dornam
Hello,

I will take the BMAT on 7th of November 2012 and I want to ask, which are the most efficient preparation books for it? I bought the official guide. I can say it was quite expensive for only 30 scientific questions and some tips here and there.

Thanks!

I used this book alongside the Official guide and the question papers online. The official was most like the actual exam questions in terms of difficulty, but as you say there is little for your money in there. The 400 Questions book was good, particularly for the section 1 and 3 stuff, but I found some of the science questions (especially physics) were too hard in comparison to the real thing and actually required some A-Level knowledge when GCSE is all you need for the paper. That said, harder questions aren't necessarily a bad thing as they are very good prep.

There is a specification online detailing all of the topics you need to cover which is useful and I'd also recommend getting out a couple GCSE science revision guides that cover all of the exam boards so that you're up to scratch on all of the knowledge.

Just don't worry too much about getting things wrong at the start. I found the BMAT ridiculously hard to begin with, but with time I got a lot better and managed a pretty good score. Good luck :smile:
The 400Q book is meant to be good, although it wasn't around when I did it.
See link my signature.
I think for S1 do TSA papers and critical thinking papers. For S2 do the papers on the official site (though bear in mind the syllabi for GCSE science has changed a lot every 2-3 years). But in general, know your GCSE knowledge inside out.
Reply 5
confused dot com, how much did you score?

Where can I find the online questions? Thanks!
Original post by dornam
confused dot com, how much did you score?

Where can I find the online questions? Thanks!

I got 7.2, 7, 3A in S1, S2 and S3. The online questions should be on the official BMAT website, I think they have papers for around 5 years, but I'm not certain :tongue:
Reply 7
Definitely get the 4000Q book. Thats what I used and I got 6.9 5.8 and 4A (although for vet med not medicine!). You may also want to revise over gcse from all boards again, as certain things in the questions were not on my board and so I didn't know about them. Also, not sure whether you have done double/triple science but if you did double (like I did), then revise the triple content as well as that is new - some of it came up in AS.

Hope this helps!
Reply 8
I was thinking of taking the SAT also, in mathematics, physics and chemistry. Which books do you recommend? I found on Amazon those by Kaplan, how good are them? I need books for SAT II.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Also, where can I find the full programme of study for each subject of BMAT?
Reply 10
Start prepping like 2 months before if you want a proper chance at doing well. Make sure you revise GCSE chem, bio and physics cos they take subjects from ALL exam boards in GCSE, not just the one you did (e.g. AQA questions will be asked even though you did Edexcel so did not learn certain things AQA people had to learn), practise essay questions and do past papers and you'll be fine. Good luck :yy:
I did preparation in October half term. You don't need to prepare till then imo, there's not enough content and practise material to justify starting before then if you do 1-2 hours a day when you start.
Reply 12
The thing is that I'm from Romania, so I don't quite have preparation materials. I ordered the official guide and I paid a lot for almost nothing.

I was looking for some books on amazon.co.uk, but I don't know which one to choose. I need some theory books for chem, bio and physics. Any help?
Reply 13
Where can I find subjects for the Part 3 (essay)? I want to practice and I don't know where to get subjects to talk about.
Original post by dornam
Where can I find subjects for the Part 3 (essay)? I want to practice and I don't know where to get subjects to talk about.

I think I just looked at the past papers and questions in a couple of the BMAT guides published.

I also read about medical ethics, since that seemed to be something that would have been helpful.
Reply 15
Can't I find some on internet?
Reply 16
KAPLAN Bmat book was really good and detailed
Reply 17
It's 200$ at least...
Reply 18
Any help?
Original post by dornam
The thing is that I'm from Romania, so I don't quite have preparation materials. I ordered the official guide and I paid a lot for almost nothing.

I was looking for some books on amazon.co.uk, but I don't know which one to choose. I need some theory books for chem, bio and physics. Any help?

Letts is very good for general revision guides (I used their AS/A2 revision guides for Biology + Chemistry, and they cover all examination boards :biggrin:)

GCSE Core Science Higher
GCSE Additional Science Higher
GCSE Maths Higher

I can't find the separate sciences for now, will post the links if I find them later on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest