The Student Room Group

rude people at the gym?

have you ever come across them?
I was at the gym today and three girls of about my age (18) came up to me and were like
"what size clothes do you take?" which I thought was a bit strange but told them 8.
"so why are you here then?"
me-"for exercise...?"
"but you're a size 8."
"yes..."
"so you're just showing off by being here."
"no I just came here for exercise..."
and so it carried on for about five minutes with them basically saying that I shouldn't be allowed to the gym because I'm already slim!?!?

Now is it just me or is this really rude!? They weren't exactly big girls or anything and it has put me off going to the gym really as I don't want to see these girls again - they were pretty intimidating!

has any one else had any experiences like this?:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ignore them. They were being very rude. Its not their problem why you're there, or their business. ****ers.
Sounds like a bizarre joke. Should have told them yeah you're there to show off and that they should bring their boyfriends next time so they could see what they're missing.
Reply 3
No, people don't speak to me at the gym.
Reply 4
That is disgraceful! Nothing wrong with keeping fit and active whatever size you are! I've never had that kind of experience but sometimes I find in the gym I feel like everyone's looking at me and it's really offputting even when I know they aren't...
Reply 5
only nihilism
Sounds like a bizarre joke. Should have told them yeah you're there to show off and that they should bring their boyfriends next time so they could see what they're missing.

Haha. So true.
Reply 6
the people at my gym are really critical of others and they laugh at fat people and are generally not nice to be around. I've had the odd comment like 'don't use the cross trainer because it'll break you' or 'why use the stepper its not like you can make it go down much or anything' but just ignore them.
Reply 7
There are rude people everywhere. Hit them with whatever comes to hand, like a fire extinguisher or a short friend.
only nihilism

haha thanks :p: if only I was more assertive in the heat of the moment! I was just pretty shocked to be honest.
That's so rude! I've never had that, but I need to get round to going again.... ><
Reply 10
How tall are you? Were you on your own? How long have you been attending the gym? Its just a small girl gets made fun of at my gym.
Reply 11
just eat icecream in front of them :eviltongu
I've never experienced anything remotely like that at the gym, I'm pleased to say. Silly girls :rolleyes:
"You're jealous that i'm slim and you're fat. Go and lose some weight before you come back, you'll break the treadmills."
avalanche
How tall are you? Were you on your own? How long have you been attending the gym? Its just a small girl gets made fun of at my gym.

haha I'm 5'8 so don't think that was the issue!
I was there with a (female) friend but she wasn't around at the time so I was pretty much alone :frown:
I've been there for about three years now and never had this trouble before :| I've never been bullied either so I think I may be a bit naive about this sort of thing?
Reply 15
You should go back to the gym. Who cares what those morons say.
Reply 16
Just ignore them and as long as you are with a friend you should be alright. Some people are just funny.
buttons_andbeads
have you ever come across them?
I was at the gym today and three girls of about my age (18) came up to me and were like
"what size clothes do you take?" which I thought was a bit strange but told them 8.
"so why are you here then?"
me-"for exercise...?"
"but you're a size 8."
"yes..."
"so you're just showing off by being here."
"no I just came here for exercise..."
and so it carried on for about five minutes with them basically saying that I shouldn't be allowed to the gym because I'm already slim!?!?

Now is it just me or is this really rude!? They weren't exactly big girls or anything and it has put me off going to the gym really as I don't want to see these girls again - they were pretty intimidating!

has any one else had any experiences like this?:s-smilie:

I've never experienced anything like that, I keep myself to myself and nobody has ever bothered me. If someone said something like that to me though (I am slim) I would just humour them and say something like, well, I use to be 30 stone but I've really been loosing those pounds since I started coming in here. I knew a lad in college though that had some big body builder come up to him and start criticising him, saying he was doing 'girls press ups' It's no one elses business why or what you are doing in the gym, just ignore them. I really don't understand why people go the gym in groups of friends, they spend half their time talking rather than exercising.
I'd just chuck a dumbell at them
ben_stretch
I'd just chuck a dumbell at them

If I could lift one I would :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending