The Student Room Group

Cambridge Archaeology and Anthropology Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

http://heesy.com/uploads/-TonyDiFiore__realhominin.mp3

This is the best thing I've ever heard in my life.
Reply 41
The West Wing

LOL. Brilliant.
Reply 42
The West Wing

I just laughed and spat coffee over the keyboard.... excellent :biggrin:
Hello everyone! I'm planning to apply for 2010 entry for ARH.ANTH at Cam.

I have a few questions.

- How much does it matter that I don't do a science A-level? I plan to focus of social anthropology. I will read lots about archaeology and plan to do an underwater excavation in greece maybe in my gap year.

My grades/subjects are as follows: 4A* 6A gcse. 5A at AS (in History, relig. studies, music, critical thinking, and drama - 92.5% average ums), and predicted 3 A's in history, relig. studies and drama.

- What should I do in my gap year to prepare (in terms of reading and traveling etc)?

- What sort of things do they ask at interview and how should you prepare for it?

- What sort of chance would I stand generally? I plan to read a lot, I should interview well (having screwed up an oxford theology interview because of a wrong approach), and am eager to keep my +90 average ums.

Any advice would be AWESOME! xx
T-o dore
Hello everyone! I'm planning to apply for 2010 entry for ARH.ANTH at Cam.

I have a few questions.

- How much does it matter that I don't do a science A-level? I plan to focus of social anthropology. I will read lots about archaeology and plan to do an underwater excavation in greece maybe in my gap year.

My grades/subjects are as follows: 4A* 6A gcse. 5A at AS (in History, relig. studies, music, critical thinking, and drama - 92.5% average ums), and predicted 3 A's in history, relig. studies and drama.

- What should I do in my gap year to prepare (in terms of reading and traveling etc)?

- What sort of things do they ask at interview and how should you prepare for it?

- What sort of chance would I stand generally? I plan to read a lot, I should interview well (having screwed up an oxford theology interview because of a wrong approach), and am eager to keep my +90 average ums.

Any advice would be AWESOME! xx

- That sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm sure the practical experience will benefit you starting the course. You don't need to do a science A level. Lots of people on the course have, and biology is particularly useful, but it's far from necessary and you will catch up quickly
- Those grades are fine. Probably somewhat below average but you're in with a decent chance.
- I would read a few books in each area. Something like Dawkins' Selfish Gene, "The Human Career" by Klein, "Nature via Nurture" by Ridley etc.
- They might ask things like "Does race exist?", "Is there a role for religion in biological anthropology", "How do Arch and Anth link together?", "Is gender a social construct?"
- Be actively interested in Arch and Anth, try to draw links to it in every day life (it's surprisingly easy). In everything ask yourself if it's a social construct or if there's an evolutionary value to it.

Good luck :smile:
The West Wing
- That sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm sure the practical experience will benefit you starting the course. You don't need to do a science A level. Lots of people on the course have, and biology is particularly useful, but it's far from necessary and you will catch up quickly
- Those grades are fine. Probably somewhat below average but you're in with a decent chance.
- I would read a few books in each area. Something like Dawkins' Selfish Gene, "The Human Career" by Klein, "Nature via Nurture" by Ridley etc.
- They might ask things like "Does race exist?", "Is there a role for religion in biological anthropology", "How do Arch and Anth link together?", "Is gender a social construct?"
- Be actively interested in Arch and Anth, try to draw links to it in every day life (it's surprisingly easy). In everything ask yourself if it's a social construct or if there's an evolutionary value to it.
Good luck :smile:

Thanks! So I could write in my personal statement how I read quite a bit of science books - like dawkins' modern science writings, and a book about quantum theory which could show that interest.

Have a nice day!
Reply 46
T-o dore
Thanks! So I could write in my personal statement how I read quite a bit of science books - like dawkins' modern science writings, and a book about quantum theory which could show that interest.

Have a nice day!

Hi, first, I would wait to hear from people who know what they are talking about (i.e. not me :p: ) but second, here's what I think anyway:

I'd read some natural history (Stephen Gould) or evolution (Dawkins I suppose (though I can't say I like him)) or something that links biology and human society, like language evolution (to this there are several aspects: evolution of human language (Stephen Pinker), and evolution of human language over time (something like this) etc.. (I haven't read the article I linked; I couldn't find the article I remember reading.))

Of course you should read about quantum theory anyway because it is really fascinating! It's not something I would mention on a PS for Arch and Anth though, because it doesn't really seem relevant.

Edit: Maybe History of Science would also be interesting, as a reflection of evolution of human thought. From Aristotle to Darwin (or Schroedinger), something like that. Even if not, you could anyway read Darwin's original texts, he writes very well. But remember, these are just things I would find interesting and thought might be relevant - they might not be and anyway you should read what really interests you!
llys
Hi, first, I would wait to hear from people who know what they are talking about (i.e. not me :p: ) but second, here's what I think anyway:

I'd read some natural history (Stephen Gould) or evolution (Dawkins I suppose (though I can't say I like him)) or something that links biology and human society, like language evolution (to this there are several aspects: evolution of human language (Stephen Pinker), and evolution of human language over time (something like this) etc.. (I haven't read the article I linked; I couldn't find the article I remember reading.))

Of course you should read about quantum theory anyway because it is really fascinating! It's not something I would mention on a PS for Arch and Anth though, because it doesn't really seem relevant.

Edit: Maybe History of Science would also be interesting, as a reflection of evolution of human thought. From Aristotle to Darwin (or Schroedinger), something like that. Even if not, you could anyway read Darwin's original texts, he writes very well. But remember, these are just things I would find interesting and thought might be relevant - they might not be and anyway you should read what really interests you!

Thankyou! My Chinese friend just offered me to come with her to live in China for 4 months in my gap year!! Yay. :biggrin:

Ive ordered a heap of stuff from amazon so will get stuck in to them when they arrive.

Seeing as theres basically none in the PS library, could anyone send me their anthropology and archaeology personal statement to look at?

Also how much did people talk about archaeology in their PS, because Im applying for other courses without any archaeology in them and i dont want to jeopardize getting a place in those... (ie LSE, UCL, StAndrews and Durham)
T-o dore
Thankyou! My Chinese friend just offered me to come with her to live in China for 4 months in my gap year!! Yay. :biggrin:

Ive ordered a heap of stuff from amazon so will get stuck in to them when they arrive.

Seeing as theres basically none in the PS library, could anyone send me their anthropology and archaeology personal statement to look at?

Also how much did people talk about archaeology in their PS, because Im applying for other courses without any archaeology in them and i dont want to jeopardize getting a place in those... (ie LSE, UCL, StAndrews and Durham)

There's nothing wrong with that, just write about Archaeology in the CAF.
Well done to offer holders... im not jealous at all... :biggrin:
Got an offer from. Very excited about (hopefully) getting to study such wonderful subjects.
Anyone - do you think doing this would be good before applying for arch and anth at Cam? http://www.realgap.co.uk/Israel-Archaeology-Experience
Reply 52
T-o dore
Anyone - do you think doing this would be good before applying for arch and anth at Cam? http://www.realgap.co.uk/Israel-Archaeology-Experience

That's enormously expensive. In addition, the current political and military situation in Israel might preclude you traveling there at present. Of course, it would not stop me, but you may have some reservations ...

Any experience is useful, but you will get the opportunity to attend a 'foreign dig' during your Part IIA, with all expenses paid by the department. Research thoroughly beforehand, and apply to contractors and research teams (i.e., the British School at Athens/Rome); you might find a far cheaper deal.
Catsmeat
That's enormously expensive. In addition, the current political and military situation in Israel might preclude you traveling there at present. Of course, it would not stop me, but you may have some reservations ...

Any experience is useful, but you will get the opportunity to attend a 'foreign dig' during your Part IIA, with all expenses paid by the department. Research thoroughly beforehand, and apply to contractors and research teams (i.e., the British School at Athens/Rome); you might find a far cheaper deal.

Ok awesome. Do you have any advice about doing projects running in the UK? What is the best way/place to do it? I have browsed online for ages, but some first hand recommendations would be very useful.

Also did you get my pm? :wink:
Reply 54
T-o dore
Ok awesome. Do you have any advice about doing projects running in the UK? What is the best way/place to do it? I have browsed online for ages, but some first hand recommendations would be very useful.

Also did you get my pm? :wink:

There's a very useful website known as, "I love the past" (below); this site allows teams to add details of their own digs onto the site. It's divisible by region, although the actual degree of information that some digs provide is very poor, to be fair.

http://www.ilovethepast.com/

Additionally, use the website of your local council to find the page/address of the County Archaeologist; most counties run a relatively proficient service, although their tasks do not include excavation, rather advocacy. Nevertheless, they may be able to provide some information about ongoing digs in your area.

Local museums are often a useful resource. Ultimately, however, it's always difficult to find, apply to and participate in an excavation; this is a function of shockingly low advertisement, funding, etc. Not to mention the recent trashing of the Heritage Bill that would have, ostensibly, made it easier to plan and conduct an excavation as a local unit. Ah, that's one more thing; local archaeological units. If you're a resident of Cambridge, or can commute here, the CAU (Cambridge Archaeology Unit) run a number of digs which you may be able to apply to. I'm afraid my advice is somewhat vague, but I hope it helps.

I have not received your PM. It sounds ominous; what was contained therein?
Reply 55
Hi,
It appears I have been rejected from Cambridge (Pembroke) this year for Arch and Anth. I'm not especially excited by the prospect of UCL, Bristol or Durham to be perfectly honest. In fact, I now wish I had applied to LSE instead of Durham. I'm now looking for advice on what to do in my gap year - if I was to take one.

My initial thoughts involved getting a job in the museum of Arch and Anth at Cambridge, but I am presuming this would be quite hard to achieve? Obviously I plan to go on a dig or two with University teams e.g. Sheffield this April at West Halton. With regards to Anthropology though, I am not sure what the best experience is for such, other than visiting different cultures and exploring them. Any suggestions at this point would be great. My main interests are really in the anthropological aspects of the course, although I do find archaeology interesting.

Thank you!
Academix
Hi,
I'm now looking for advice on what to do in my gap year - if I was to take one.

My initial thoughts involved getting a job in the museum of Arch and Anth at Cambridge, but I am presuming this would be quite hard to achieve? Obviously I plan to go on a dig or two with University teams e.g. Sheffield this April at West Halton. With regards to Anthropology though, I am not sure what the best experience is for such, other than visiting different cultures and exploring them. Any suggestions at this point would be great. My main interests are really in the anthropological aspects of the course, although I do find archaeology interesting.

Thank you!

yeah Im planning my gap year right now.

Im planning to go on a couple digs this coming summer (where, i dont know), then do a short course in genetics from the ou (whilst working in a restaurant and temping in a night club). After interview, i should have raised enough money to go to thailand, indonesia, and then stay living in china for 4 months at a friends' language school - i might teach. Anthropology-wise, theres a couple research expeditions that look very interesting, such as one doing research on the religious traditions of the hill tribes of thailand.

I also plan to get a PADI qualification and dive with whale sharks! (if i have money by then...)

but any more suggestions would be LOVERLY :biggrin:
.Damian.
I can also suggest doing an European voluntary service for your gap year. The European Union basically pays for most things (accommodation, food, pocket money, transportation, flights, insurance, ...) and you get to live in another (European) country and learn the language, etc. :biggrin: (I do an EVS for my gap year) Just google it, if you are interested - there is a lot of information available online.

----
:biggrin:

wow that sounds COOL :smile:

edit: actually I dont really understand it - do you have to be part of a youth organization to do it?
.Damian.
No, not really. You just have to find a sending organisation (they will do all your paperwork once you have found your host organisation, i.e. you have found a project which says you can work for them).

Sometimes you have to pay a small administrative fee to your sending organisation.
Most of the time you will have to look for and apply to the project(s) you want to do on your own - some organisation will help you find one, but most won't.

Here are some good links:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/connectyouth-programmes-european-voluntary-service.htm
http://ec.europa.eu/youth/evs/aod/hei_en.cfm (The EU database with all projects/organisations)
http://ec.europa.eu/youth/youth-in-action-programme/doc82_en.htm

I can only recommend doing an EVS.

What can you study or do? What are you doing? Whats the ACTUAL work?
I'm in year 10 at the mo but was just wondering what subjects would be best (for Cambridge) to take at A Level if I want to get into Archaeology and Anthropology?
For my GCSEs im predicted all As and A*s and I'm doing:
French, Drama, Art, History, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, English Language and Lit
for A Level I have many possible options these are a list of some I COULD do
French, Art, History, Economics, Archaeology, Politics
I really want to do French and Art but no sure if I should do Politics or Economics for my third and Archaeology or History for my 4th??
could someone tell me which ones would Cambridge like best?
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending