The Student Room Group

Anyone work for Card Factory?

Hey I got a job at Card Factory as a sales assistant the other day and have my first day tomorrow! I have been applying for jobs since February so thank god I got one at last! I'm just wondering if any of you people work there, worked there or know people who work there so I know what to expect.
Was certainly the fasted job application process ever. I applied for the job on a Thursday, got offered an interview on the Thursday, did the interview on the Friday and got offered the job an hour later.

Thanks
Matt

Scroll to see replies

I worked for them September-January as temp staff. When December rolls around I suggest taking up religion if you don't already have one, we had 3 deliveries/day & apparently people lose the ability to feel patience. Christmas shoppers be crazy mother****ers.

Except for that it's your standard retail job. You stock racks, answer people's inane questions, go on the till, etc. etc. Nothing special really, anything particular you want to know?
Original post by History-Student
When December rolls around I suggest taking up religion if you don't already have one, we had 3 deliveries/day & apparently people lose the ability to feel patience. Christmas shoppers be crazy mother****ers.

Except for that it's your standard retail job. You stock racks, answer people's inane questions, go on the till, etc. etc. Nothing special really, anything particular you want to know?

Haha sounds fun. It's not my first job, i worked in a Christmas shop last Christmas, it was freaking insane. I'm quite used to working under pressure.

Do you get paid cash in hand or paid through the bank and how easy are they at picking up overtime?

Thanks
Original post by djsims2
Haha sounds fun. It's not my first job, i worked in a Christmas shop last Christmas, it was freaking insane. I'm quite used to working under pressure.

Do you get paid cash in hand or paid through the bank and how easy are they at picking up overtime?

Thanks

Ugh, I'm having flashbacks :tongue: I once spent a full day reorganising a tiny card rack because people couldn't be bothered to put a single card back in the right place.

I got paid through the bank. And I never got any overtime, but that was because they took on 32 extra staff over the Christmas period so every shift was always full. So I can't say for sure.
I work for Clintons, so not the same company but the same type of shop :p: so I can answer your card-shop-related queries as they come! :biggrin:
Sounds fun! The one thing i don't look forward to is blowing up balloons.... sounds really strange but i suck at tying knots and making them look reasonably presentable. lol. The person who interviewed me told me that there are only 2 people in the shop at once (I'm working full time in the week which apparently isn't too busy), which sounds quite scary... especially when the other person is on lunch. Oh well I really look forward to the experience.
Original post by djsims2
Sounds fun! The one thing i don't look forward to is blowing up balloons.... sounds really strange but i suck at tying knots and making them look reasonably presentable. lol. The person who interviewed me told me that there are only 2 people in the shop at once (I'm working full time in the week which apparently isn't too busy), which sounds quite scary... especially when the other person is on lunch. Oh well I really look forward to the experience.

Balloons are easy. There are helium canisters & the big shaped balloons self seal (I think).
Well that was a fun first day... balloons were quite scary but we ran out of helium anyway. Just wondering when you get paid? Last friday of the month?

Thanks
Original post by djsims2
Well that was a fun first day... balloons were quite scary but we ran out of helium anyway. Just wondering when you get paid? Last friday of the month?

Thanks

I vaguely recall being paid on the 23rd if he month, but it was a while ago so I could easily be making that up.

Glad you didn't end up crying in a corner (wait until you've heard Christmas carols on a loop for 3 months straight :wink: )
I did as xmas temp. Our store was very busy. You will hate Coleen Rooney.
Original post by Curly_hair_girl
I did as xmas temp. Our store was very busy. You will hate Coleen Rooney.

Do you not mean Colleen Nolan?
Reply 11
Did you just go in with a CV?
Do you not mean Colleen Nolan?

I don't think so. I swear the person was young, is Colleen Nolan old? If I'm wrong at least I can say I was concentrating on working. :cool:
Original post by djsims2

Balloons are awesome :biggrin:

As has been mentioned, Christmas will drive you to insanity. Christmas songs on constant loop and people destroying the stands because they don't understand how to put a card back on a stand.
Original post by 1meg2009
Did you just go in with a CV?

Pretty much. Though it was during their big Chrismas staff inflation in August September. They do big signs for temps in the window, look out for them.

Original post by Curly_hair_girl
I don't think so. I swear the person was young, is Colleen Nolan old? If I'm wrong at least I can say I was concentrating on working. :cool:

If it's the same thing it's definitely Colleen Nolan (and it's definitely wasn't Colleen Rooney :tongue:)

Original post by snowyowl
Balloons are awesome :biggrin:

As has been mentioned, Christmas will drive you to insanity. Christmas songs on constant loop and people destroying the stands because they don't understand how to put a card back on a stand.

You get rep for feeling my pain about card racks at Christmas.

You get rep for feeling my pain about card racks at Christmas.

Why thank you, as do you :biggrin:

I honestly don't understand why people have to mess up the stands so much at Christmas. Is it really that difficult? Some of the temps we employ at Christmas spend their entire shift just going around the shop tidying - and it still looks like a bomb's hit it at the end of the day.
Reply 16
Original post by djsims2
Hey I got a job at Card Factory as a sales assistant the other day and have my first day tomorrow! I have been applying for jobs since February so thank god I got one at last! I'm just wondering if any of you people work there, worked there or know people who work there so I know what to expect.
Was certainly the fasted job application process ever. I applied for the job on a Thursday, got offered an interview on the Thursday, did the interview on the Friday and got offered the job an hour later.

Thanks
Matt

Oh my god, I just quoted you in another thread, and you work in the same shop as me haha!! How're you finding work at CF so far? :smile:
Original post by emilym94
Oh my god, I just quoted you in another thread, and you work in the same shop as me haha!! How're you finding work at CF so far? :smile:

Haha yeah its awesome. Bit annoying sometimes when its busy and someone has a massive pile of 29p cards haha. I look forward to christmas season cause i love working under pressure! Our card system is terrible though, if someone is on the phone in the office then the card machine doesn't work cause it uses the same line which is kinda stupid lol.
Do you have to do banking at the end of the day too?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by djsims2
Haha yeah its awesome. Bit annoying sometimes when its busy and someone has a massive pile of 29p cards haha. I look forward to christmas season cause i love working under pressure! Our card system is terrible though, if someone is on the phone in the office then the card machine doesn't work cause it uses the same line which is kinda stupid lol.
Do you have to do banking at the end of the day too?

THIS. Oh my god, this is so irritating, it's crazy!
Yeah we do, i don't tend to do it because my job is usually to just tidy up at the end of the day, but occasionally i do it. :smile: My pet hate is inflating endless packets of helium balloons. :frown:
Original post by emilym94
THIS. Oh my god, this is so irritating, it's crazy!
Yeah we do, i don't tend to do it because my job is usually to just tidy up at the end of the day, but occasionally i do it. :smile: My pet hate is inflating endless packets of helium balloons. :frown:

Yeah i hate the latex balloons cause they annoy your fingers. I cannot for the life of me tie a knot in the latex ones its just awful. When the foil ones burst it does hurt quite a bit... it says to wear goggles but no one does.

How long have you been working there?

Quick Reply

Latest