The Student Room Group

D1 or S1 - Can I self teach it within a month and a half?

There is only two months left till May exams. I've covered C1 and I'm covering C2 at the moment, although for my applied module I have to self-teach either M1, S1 or D1. I tried the first chapter of M1 although it was very confusing and I hated it..

What should I do? Switch to S1 or D1? What would be the best thing to do at this point? I don't even want to attempt another Mechanics question. I don't care which module is more interesting or more boring, I'm purely in it for the grade and whichever has the easier content to grasp whilst self-teaching due to the short amount of time left.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Why do you have to self teach the applied module? :s i'd definitely go with D1 because that is a very short and easy module, and there's loads of help videos on YouTube of some of the algorithms :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Kravez
There is only two months left till May exams. I've covered C1 and I'm covering C2 at the moment, although for my applied module I have to self-teach either M1, S1 or D1. I tried the first chapter of M1 although it was very confusing and I hated it..

What should I do? Switch to S1 or D1? What would be the best thing to do at this point? I don't even want to attempt another Mechanics question. I don't care which module is more interesting or more boring, I'm purely in it for the grade and whichever has the easier content to grasp whilst self-teaching due to the short amount of time left.

I've done S1 twice, 69% first time (C1 and C2 in 90%'s so was gutted) Second time around I know I've done equally as badly. I've just self taught D1 in a week (no other things to do over half term) and it was OK. Just the exam practise now... So my opinion - go for D1.
Reply 3
Original post by Kravez

S1, D1 is easy and I learnt D1 like 3 weeks before my exam, but it's damn near impossible to get 100% so you'll get 80% in D1. S1, a little harder, but once you get it, it's easy as hell.
Reply 4
I would say S1 would be easier to self teach, unless you watch videos etc for D1 because although it is really easy, it's hard to get your head around the algorithms without someone actually showing you them
Reply 5
Both of these modules are much a case of learning a variety of methods and then you are tested on whether you can apply and use them in the right way. Neither are difficult in the slightest. You can probably do both within your timeframe, but if you had to pick one then do D1 fo' sho'.
Reply 6
Original post by jam277
S1, D1 is easy and I learnt D1 like 3 weeks before my exam, but it's damn near impossible to get 100% so you'll get 80% in D1. S1, a little harder, but once you get it, it's easy as hell.

Did you have any teaching for D1 throughout the year? Because I will be starting it from scratch.

Original post by mld
I've done S1 twice, 69% first time (C1 and C2 in 90%'s so was gutted) Second time around I know I've done equally as badly. I've just self taught D1 in a week (no other things to do over half term) and it was OK. Just the exam practise now... So my opinion - go for D1.

D1 in a week? That was pretty quick. Which topics are the most difficult? I assume you have a teacher or did you learn it yourself?
(edited 12 years ago)
I did D1 last year and most of my class did pretty badly (although I managed an A so not impossible!). I'm doing S1 this year and it's so hard! D1 seems so easy looking back on it now...
Reply 8
Original post by Kravez
Did you have any teaching for D1 throughout the year? Because I will be starting it from scratch.

D1 in a week? That was pretty quick. Which topics are the most difficult? I assume you have a teacher or did you learn it yourself?

Yeah I did, although I went to hardly any of the lessons until I was forced to by my teacher and even then they were teaching FP1(aka the doss module). Anyway I pretty much self taught it, just do the exercises in the book and do exam papers, same goes for every maths paper and you'll be fine, repeat for a week or two straight and you've learn't the module fully. You can't read and take notes like in biology or other subjects.
Reply 9
Looking for a few more opinions
Reply 10
Original post by Kravez

I am a teacher and I will have to teach it next year - So I need to be one step ahead this year, so taking maths and further maths A level this year!!!

i spent all week doing it - no going out etc. But it was worth it.

Good luck with your decision.
Do S1 (which is easy). All of my teachers say that D1 is mind numbingly boring (althought decision maths becomes more interesting at a higher level).
Reply 12
D1 can be self taught in a matter of days (if you sit down and do it non-stop). If you're a very logical thinker in terms of algorithms; it can be done in a matter of hours lol.
Reply 13
Original post by Derpy Hooves
Do S1 (which is easy). All of my teachers say that D1 is mind numbingly boring (althought decision maths becomes more interesting at a higher level).

I don't care of D1 is boring and if S1 is more exciting - I'm just looking for the easiest one to self teach within such a short time frame.
there's alot of memorising in S1 with the formulas and stuff.

with d1 the only memorisation part is the definitions, which are worth like 4 marks in total for each paper roughly
Reply 15
Original post by Kravez
I don't care of D1 is boring and if S1 is more exciting - I'm just looking for the easiest one to self teach within such a short time frame.

D1, im self teaching S1 now and it is so boring! The probability chapter isnt making sense, will need to see a teacher. D1 was easy, I sat it in Jan and it was a doddle
Reply 16
Original post by ChrisA7x
D1, im self teaching S1 now and it is so boring! The probability chapter isnt making sense, will need to see a teacher. D1 was easy, I sat it in Jan and it was a doddle

Did you have a teacher for D1? I'll have no teacher. I've ordered the textbook and it should arrive tomorrow.

Which chapters/topics did you find difficult in D1 that a teacher was needed for?
Could definitely teach yourself D1. Easiest of all modules in my opinion. (I liked it so much, i'm taking D2 now, which i love!)
Reply 18
All 3 units are easy if you can acheive 90's in C1/2. You should be able to get an A in M1, S1 or D1, it won't take that long to get your head around any of the topics and you can learn it/do all the questions in the book at a rate of a chapter a day. I say 10-15 days of work to fully prepare for the exam in terms of past papers etc as well as doing every question in the book. 2 months is more than enough time, you'll still be able to have a life. Good luck.
Reply 19
Original post by Kravez
Did you have a teacher for D1? I'll have no teacher. I've ordered the textbook and it should arrive tomorrow.

Which chapters/topics did you find difficult in D1 that a teacher was needed for?

Yeah I did have a teacher for D1, which did help tbh. I would still say D1 would be easier without a teacher. For me the hardest topic of D1 was the linear programming section, but they are quite simple once you're used to the questions though.

If you do decide to do D1, or even S1, don't be afraid to PM me with any questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest