The Student Room Group

I eat constantly, but cannot put on weight..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Try taking more exercise. If you can't put on fat, put on some muscle, right?
Original post by snapper1
Okay thankyou! I'll book an appointment for tomorrow and see what they say :smile:

Just returned right now.

Your welcome, always glad to help.

All the best, I am sure you will be fine.
Original post by fabbykadabra

Just for an example today I ate...
-7 weetabix, a yoghurt and half a honeydew melon for breakfast
-2 cheese & onion sandwiches, an apple and a yoghurt for lunch
-A bean burger, a cheese and quorn fillet, noodles, salad, sweetcorn, peas and green beans for dinner.
-Snacks throughout the day include, 2 packets of monster munch, a twix, a crunchie, 3 bananas, a piece of carrot cake
-Drinks include about a pint of milk, 500ml of grapefruit juice, and maybe 5-6 glasses of water.

That's not a lot of food.
If you are serious about putting on some weight then find out how many calories per day you need to stay the same weight and then eat 100-200 more than that.
Original post by duharvalgt
If you are serious about putting on some weight then find out how many calories per day you need to stay the same weight and then eat 500+ more than that.

fixed.
Okay can people PLEASE not post just to say something like 'you're lucky, just accept it!' because this actually really bothers me. I do NOT feel lucky yet any time I try to ask about this that is the classic response.

I have serious trouble maintaining my weight. I am just over 5'7" and my weight tends to fluctuate between about 8.8st and 9.7st, with the average being around 9.5st. However in order to maintain this weight I have to eat a LOT. If I eat what would be considered normal by many people I lose weight. If I eat my 'reccommended' calories I lose weight.

-A bean burger, a cheese and quorn fillet, noodles, salad, sweetcorn, peas and green beans for dinner.
-Snacks throughout the day include, 2 packets of monster munch, a twix, a crunchie, 3 bananas, a piece of carrot cake
-Drinks include about a pint of milk, 500ml of grapefruit juice, and maybe 5-6 glasses of water.

I think this is quite a lot of food by most standards (i eat rather large portions) I don't even want to try and guess how many calories that is... Yet I just do not out on weight at all and if I eat less than this, I drop weight really fast.

I'm really worried that when I start uni this will become a major problem as I will not be able to afford this much food. I am scared I will get malnourished or underweight or something.

I just don't understand how it is physically possible to need so much food simply to maintain my current weight. I fear I have something actually wrong with me like my body isn't processing food properly.. because surely no metabolism can be THAT fast?

this is me but I'm 5'10" I've weighed 8 stone 11 for 3 years now and I eat foods with more calories than you
Reply 46
Okay can people PLEASE not post just to say something like 'you're lucky, just accept it!' because this actually really bothers me. I do NOT feel lucky yet any time I try to ask about this that is the classic response.

I have serious trouble maintaining my weight. I am just over 5'7" and my weight tends to fluctuate between about 8.8st and 9.7st, with the average being around 9.5st. However in order to maintain this weight I have to eat a LOT. If I eat what would be considered normal by many people I lose weight. If I eat my 'reccommended' calories I lose weight.

I think this is quite a lot of food by most standards (i eat rather large portions) I don't even want to try and guess how many calories that is... Yet I just do not out on weight at all and if I eat less than this, I drop weight really fast.

I'm really worried that when I start uni this will become a major problem as I will not be able to afford this much food. I am scared I will get malnourished or underweight or something.

I just don't understand how it is physically possible to need so much food simply to maintain my current weight. I fear I have something actually wrong with me like my body isn't processing food properly.. because surely no metabolism can be THAT fast?

I weigh 9.9lbs at 5 foot 10

I eat 2850 cals a day ... and I am on track to gain 2lbs a month.

Judging by what I read you ate, that is not a lot at all.

To gain 1lbs a week you need to eat an extra 3500 cals a week - so 500 extra a day on top of your maintenance and any exercise you do needs to be covered too.
Original post by Hravan
Because there is a stereotypical view of all vegans being stick-thin and that animal products (dairy mainly) are the only high-fat foods which you have to eat to gain weight. I was trying to point out that if it's possible for vegans to gain weight in a healthy way then it is definitely possible on just a vegetarian diet. (Obviously as long as there are no underlying health problems. )

See edit.

Original post by Hravan
It might be a good source of protein, I'm not denying that. Doesn't mean that it's the only source of protein and as he says he's a vegetarian, telling him to eat meat isn't exactly helpful. :smile:

Again, see my edit, he didn't mention being a vegetarian in his OP where he's asking for advice, he said it a few posts down, if he did I wouldn't have listed meat as a source of protein.

Original post by Hravan
I'm tired and I need to go to sleep so I was going to do this tomorrow but seeing as you're being like this...

Nuts, legumes, cereals, some seeds, soya products etc etc are all good plant-based sources of protein and then there's dairy and egg products as well.

As for fats...
Olive oil and rapeseed oil are very good sources of mono-unsaturated fats. For polyunsaturates it's mainly sunflower, soya, sesame and corn oils.
Omega-6 in nuts, seeds, soya and corn. Omega-3 is mainly in linseed (flaxseed) but needs to be taken in oil or the seeds need to be ground as we can't digest whole linseeds. Also, found in walnuts and hempseeds. Both 6 and 3 are also in dairy and eggs and leafy green vegetables.
For the saturates it's the obvious dairy products but also palm oil and coconuts.
Oh and avocados are awesome for mono-unsaturates. Actually, avocados are one of the better things for veg*ns to eat when trying to gain weight. They're brilliant.

I know all of this, I lift weights already and there are plenty of vegetarian bodybuilders, the way you've worded this post, comes across as you're trying to inform me which again I find patronising.

It's very simple. You don't need to eat meat to gain weight. People who try to say that the only way to gain weight are wrong. I'm not saying to ignore people who advise him to eat meat (although from personal experience there is nothing more annoying when you're vegetarian than people try to get you to eat meat), just to ignore the people who say that eating meat is the only way to gain weight when it categorically isn't.

But if nobody said that to him in the thread (I didn't) then why mention it? It has as much relevance as saying don't listen to people who say you need protein powder to gain weight, if nobody has suggested that then it's random and out of place so I could only assume you were directing that 'don't listen' comment at me :confused:
Reply 48
Original post by Wilfred Little

I know all of this, I lift weights already and there are plenty of vegetarian bodybuilders, the way you've worded this post, comes across as you're trying to inform me which again I find patronising.

That information wasn't directed at you. It was for the OP. I worded the beginning badly though because I was tired. So sorry, but that nutritional information was meant for the OP. Sorry if it upset you, it wasn't meant that way.

But if nobody said that to him in the thread (I didn't) then why mention it? It has as much relevance as saying don't listen to people who say you need protein powder to gain weight, if nobody has suggested that then it's random and out of place so I could only assume you were directing that 'don't listen' comment at me :confused:

Stop being so paranoid. I wasn't directing it to anybody. I was being pre-emptive because 9 times out of 10 somebody will come into a thread (or in a RL conversation) to tell a vegetarian that all their problems with their weight/health/love life/academic life/driving skills/bob-sleighing/whatever will be completely cured if they just ate meat. (It's a magical cure for everything! :woo: ) It's a response you come to expect and though nobody has said it yet in this thread I will happily bet money that there will be somebody (either here, in RL or if the OP has asked on other internet forums) who will tell the OP that he won't be able to gain weight if he doesn't eat meat. Or somebody will tell him something along the lines of "oh you need to eat more protein. You've got to eat meat, it's the only source of protein!!!11!!!"
That's what I was talking about. Believe me, if somebody had posted in this thread that meat is the only source of protein/need to eat meat to gain weight I would have quoted their post and corrected them.
Reply 49
Original post by makaveli33
Just returned right now.

Your welcome, always glad to help.

All the best, I am sure you will be fine.

Hey just to let you know, I went to the doctor today and she thinks I do have an overactive thyroid after asking me questions and weighing me/checking blood pressure and pulse both in my arm/wrist and neck.

I have to have a blood test next week to form an official diagnose, but she apologised about not having tested for it before (I had to ask her if she thought it could be a thyroid problem). So thank you for your advice as I probably wouldn't have bothered going back :smile:
Reply 50
Find an online calorie counter (there are plenty out there) and find out how much you really are eating. Sometimes it may seem a lot but doesn't add up to much.

You will eventually find an amount that you gain on, even if it's a lot more than you'd like. Once you find that amount, stick to it for a while and you'll get used to eating that much soon enough you may not need the calorie counter anymore as you'll know what you're meant to be eating. :smile:
What's it come out like the other end?

Have you tried eating Very Fried Donuts?
Original post by snapper1
Hey just to let you know, I went to the doctor today and she thinks I do have an overactive thyroid after asking me questions and weighing me/checking blood pressure and pulse both in my arm/wrist and neck.

I have to have a blood test next week to form an official diagnose, but she apologised about not having tested for it before (I had to ask her if she thought it could be a thyroid problem). So thank you for your advice as I probably wouldn't have bothered going back :smile:

Dear Snapper,
That is the best news I have heard all day and has motivated me to keep helping people, that makes every bit of helping people worthwhile and means so much to me that you were officially diagnosed and correctly might I add.

I hope that everyone goes well for you and I wish the best for you and thanks to chance that you are were assessed in time.

Thank you so much for giving me feedback on my help, it means a lot to me. I will continue helping in anyway I can on this forum so I can give advice to those who may need it.

Good Luck Snapper and all the best with the blood test, I will keep you in my thoughts for a clear, happy, worry-free result.

=).
Be careful what you wish for. Your motabolism may change overnight and before you know it you'll be lumbered with multiple chins, moobs and a belly that wont shift no matter how much excercise you do.

See a doctor!
Reply 55
Have tried going to a dietist? If you want to gain weight I think it would be wiser for you to go to them so they can sort out a better diet for you.?

Quick Reply