The Student Room Group

Am I mad to take Psychology for A Level?

Am I setting myself up for failure by taking A-Level Psychology?

My sister's friend has taken it, and she got a B for AS. This girl is a genius, and is attending Cambridge in September, she got all A's in the rest of her AS' so the B indicates to me that the subject is intense?

I didn't take it for GCSE, but I'm super interested in that kind of thing, and I'm hard working and would learn all the relevant content for exams (I hear there is a lot to learn)... but I know that the girl definitely revised and she's very hard working yet she still got a B?

She also said that when you're doing the AS part, it's really hard, but then when you go onto A2, you look back and realise how easy AS was in comparison. But then again, is that not kinda the case with most A-Levels?

Don't get me wrong, a B at AS is really good, but this girl is smarter than me, so I just think I am gonna get a D?

Anyone who has taken/taking A-Level Psychology and is with AQA, could you tell me your experience and opinion? Am I making a wise choice?

I enjoy science, maths and english, so essay writing and the scientific aspect to it wouldn't be an issue, but still.

Any insightful responses would be amazing... thanks!

PS. I'm not basing this all on just one person's experience, many people who took it for GCSE are telling me how hard it is... and GCSE is easy compared to A-Level.
No, you're not mad, but you'll be able to help people who are!

Seriously though, it's not overly hard (it wasn't for me, at least) just ridiculously dull.
Original post by Sushiii

My sister's friend has taken it, and she got a B for AS. This girl is a genius, and is attending Cambridge in September, she got all A's in the rest of her AS' so the B indicates to me that the subject is intense?

I didn't take it for GCSE, but I'm super interested in that kind of thing, and I'm hard working and would learn all the relevant content for exams (I hear there is a lot to learn)... but I know that the girl definitely revised and she's very hard working yet she still got a B?

She also said that when you're doing the AS part, it's really hard, but then when you go onto A2, you look back and realise how easy AS was in comparison. But then again, is that not kinda the case with most A-Levels?

Don't get me wrong, a B at AS is really good, but this girl is smarter than me, so I just think I am gonna get a D?

Anyone who has taken/taking A-Level Psychology and is with AQA, could you tell me your experience and opinion? Am I making a wise choice?

I enjoy science, maths and english, so essay writing and the scientific aspect to it wouldn't be an issue, but still.

PS. I'm not basing this all on just one person's experience, many people who took it for GCSE are telling me how hard it is... and GCSE is easy compared to A-Level.

I got an A at AS. To be honest, I find the subject easy, but perhaps that is because I have a strong passion for it, I don't know. I have always been comfortable with essay-based subjects.

Yes, there is a lot to learn, but you cannot just recycle the knowledge and get an A. You need to apply what you know. Perhaps your sister's friend is smart, and a B is fantastic, but if you do not learn to apply your knowledge, you will not get the top marks. Evaluation plays a huge role in Psychology, and it is a skill you need to learn.

Yes, AS is easier compared to A2 in any subject, as A2 is more intense. In AS you can get away with just reading the textbook and recycling the content, but at A2, you have to be doing wider reading. Not everything is handed to you on a plate.

It is a great subject, and if you want to study Psychology, you should choose it. Don't compare yourself to others. You may excel in the subject and get a B yourself (or more!).
Reply 3
Original post by Sushiii

Its not difficult but it just has a lot of information to take onboard and absorb and remember - but its not hard information - the toughest part is having to remember it really.

Iv been doing Psychology alone without any help as a private candicatewhile working full time 40 hours per week.

I bought my books off amazon, checked the spec and started revision that way re-writing everything over and over according to the spec on what they could ask and hedging my bets on what may come up dependant on what hasnt come up so far.

I signed up for my papers end of february and revised until I sat papers 1 last year on 25th may and then paper 2 on 7th June (about 3 months of revision when I could find the time after work).

I got two A's.

I sat paper 3 in January this year - I got 100ums and A*.

Im not clever by any stretch of the imagination but more so determined if anything.
If you have that desire and are willing to make few sacrifices and revise it isnt that hard and you will get Bs or As easily.

Just my two cents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending